Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone...
I completely re-built my front suspension in 2017 and have not had any issues since.
...but lately I have started to hear low pitched squeeking noises when going over bumps or road irregularities (when the passenger-side suspension has to compress somewhat).

Looking quickly at the passenger side front suspension I do not see anything amiss. But I recall from my previous reading on the subject a lot of people complaining about "squeeky upper controlling arm bushings". I have never experienced this so could not relate > but I am beginning to suspect that this might be what I am now experiencing - the noise does seem to be coming from the UCA area.... and when driving on flat surfaces there is no noise at all.

Do you think this is the problem, and if yes, how to fix it?

Thanks
Ed
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Try lubrication.
Probably better than a high pitched groan...
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Had this on my 81. I bathed the bushings in tranny fluid with a barbecue brush as thats all we had along with us. Havent heard a thing since then and the bushings dont appear to be degrading I was warned about.

Probably not the solution your looking for but it works well.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Yeah it definitely sounds like something that should be lubricated, is now dry.
I actually don't mind the noise, as long as it is not damaging anything?
So perhaps pouring a bit of AFT or GB oil onto the bushings is worth a try???
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

what bushings did you use, when you did the rebuild.
how far have you driven since.

619 201 0310
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
what bushings did you use, when you did the rebuild.
how far have you driven since.

I can't remember exactly the bushings.... they were not the SUPER LIFE LONG expensive bushings.... but probably MEYLE or something.

Since then I have not driven so much... 4 or 5 camping trips down to Croatia, and at home I only drive a bit on weekends, so I don't thing the bushings should be worn out yet - all the other bushings I replaced still look practically new.
But I remember that removing the UCA pins took days of struggling to remove. Maybe I should remove them again and replace those bushings?
....or maybe the spot welds gave up??
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

you might find it's time to replace them again.
l have replaced many front ends, l used to use stock rubber bushing, l found that l had to do a few of them again, within 3 maybe 4 years, as the rubber stuff had failed as badly, as their 30 year old predecessors , the last one of those, was the very last rubber front end that l will fit for a customer, the first one l had to re do, was on my own westy, 3 years about 25k miles, another was a syncro westy.
these days, l only use powerflex parts, since using them, l have not had one failure, my westy has about the same mileage on it, my work van has 45k miles since, my wife's carat over 50k miles.
none show any signs of an issue.
get in there, have a good look around.
if and when l suspect and upper control arm issue, l undo the two bolts that hold the ball joint to the upper control arm, once it's loose, give it a careful inspection.

epowell wrote:

I can't remember exactly the bushings.... they were not the SUPER LIFE LONG expensive bushings.... but probably MEYLE or something.

Since then I have not driven so much... 4 or 5 camping trips down to Croatia, and at home I only drive a bit on weekends, so I don't thing the bushings should be worn out yet - all the other bushings I replaced still look practically new.
But I remember that removing the UCA pins took days of struggling to remove. Maybe I should remove them again and replace those bushings?
....or maybe the spot welds gave up??

619 201 0310
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
l undo the two bolts that hold the ball joint to the upper control arm, once it's loose, give it a careful inspection.

So after undoing these two bolts it should be possible to move the UCA by hand, and then should be pretty easy to determine if there is a problem.... and also pretty easy to replace the bushings too? It's been a while since I did it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
markswagen wrote:
l undo the two bolts that hold the ball joint to the upper control arm, once it's loose, give it a careful inspection.

So after undoing these two bolts it should be possible to move the UCA by hand, and then should be pretty easy to determine if there is a problem.... and also pretty easy to replace the bushings too? It's been a while since I did it.

It is not too hard. The oem thinking was to put a weld bead on them to hold the location I guess, but experience has shown they do not need to have that done.
You might want to have a new set of those long bolts on hand in case yours are rusty.
Pay attention to the orientation of the offset washers as you pull the bolt out as they cobtrol your camber on the wheels, maybe find a way to mark them so they go back in the same.
You still probably want to have the camber checked after replacing the bushings.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Thanks.... I am going out right now to analyze and take some fotos.
I am told that the weld bead is necessary to hold the bushing stationary, and if the bead breaks off it can cause damaging rubbing - and it is possible to re-weld a new bead in-situ.

Anyway, I currently do not yet have a complete mental grasp as to the logic behind how these bushings, pins, washers and controlling arms work together --- hopefully soon my understanding will grow.

Back in an hour with pics.
Thanks again!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Just took these pics.... I can not see the welds at all....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

I ended up spraying some WD40 in the appropriate places, and it seems to have solved the problem, for now Smile
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
I ended up spraying some WD40 in the appropriate places, and it seems to have solved the problem, for now Smile

I believe the weld would be in the other side of the bushing, against the arm.
For what it’s worth, I used LocTite retaining sealant/compound when I installed my new bushings. I cut the tack welds off the stock bushings to remove them and remember them being not that visible if the arm is still installed on the Vanagon.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Low pitch squeek from Front Suspension? Reply with quote

Yes that is true - I realised later, that the welds are on the INSIDE. I tried to photograph them but impossible...
Anyhow, I removed the 2 bolts holding the ball joint, to free the UCA, but with those bolts removed the UCA was stuck - motionless.... BINGO, that was the problem.

So I sprayed all around some WD40 since that was the most "rubber friendly" lube I could find handy.... then I waited 20 minutes and I was able to budge the UCA by prying with a long screw driver.... a bit more lube and time and the UCA could move a bit more....

....so I took it for a drive and seems the problem is 99% solved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: