Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane tank overfilled
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Propane tank overfilled Reply with quote

I have a European spec 1989 "Joker" Westfalia camper. It uses a different propane tank than the standard American Westy. Recently I had the propane tank filled. After driving a bit we noticed a propane smell. I checked the tank and the small red pressed in plastic cup had popped out of its holder. I could hear and feel propane escaping through the hole in the overfill valve behind where this cup sits. After a while enough leaked to atmosphere so that I could replace the cup and we were fine.

So my question to others who have the European set up what parts do I need in order from Germany to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for your input.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank overfilled Reply with quote

Hi
It´s indeed probable that one part failed. However, just so you consider every possibility,. there is also the possibility that the system worked as designed. For example if you had the tank filled on a cold day in the morning, and then have the tank parked in baking sun for some hours. The pressure increase could in this case cause the opening of the safety valve.

The way I see it, it´s one of those three:
- safety valve (the one you mention apparently)
- tank filling procedure (the hardware is just fine, but the tank was overfilled, so safety devices did their thing)
- pressure relief valve for fill-up is faulty (not sure about that one, I am reaching the limit of my knowledge on this subject).

Good luck!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank overfilled Reply with quote

Does the Eurospec tank have an "80%" fill limit float?

Neil.

not the same as Manchester tank as used on the Vanagon but shows float I refer to

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank overfilled Reply with quote

I have had these vent on me while I’m working on them on a lift. Customers get them filled when it’s cold outside and in my warm garage the propane expands and vents out the pressure release valve. Not a good time to be torching on the exhaust!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank overfilled Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and thoughts. The European Westy propane is supposed to have an auto cut-off at 80%. It does NOT have the bleeder valve that the technician unscrews before filling the tank like the American version. I've added propane to this tank probably 8-10 times without any sort of problem.

It well could be that the day got warmer after my latest fill-up. We dropped in elevation, maybe a 3,000 foot difference, the day it leaked so maybe that had something to do with it. The safety system did indeed work by popping the cap and letting excess gas slowly bleed out to the atmosphere. I'm going to order up a new safety cutoff valve from Gunzl as well as a new gauge, which has never worked. Assuming I don't blow up the neighborhood I'll report back in a couple of weeks on the situation.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: