Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Fastback Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Are you gonna unload around the corner and drive into the show?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Take pics at the show! Wish I could be there!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

See ya tomorrow Steve, keep an eye out for a beat up blue Squareback in the show. At least it's clean though... Laughing Spent yesterday cleaning it up so it doesn't look too outta place, but better than waking out from the main lot Cool

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Post pics. Anxiously awaiting the big reveal.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Hi clatter. Quick question. What size rims are you running? And is there a specific name for them other than 5 spoke Porsche rims? I searched your thread but couldn't find the specifics on the rims. Id image they came off a 968? A samba member and i are looking for a rim with deep backspacing with yours.

Thanks!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Post pics. Anxiously awaiting the big reveal.

Where's the pics? The show should be over by now. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

It looks fantastic!!! Worth the drive to Sacrament just to see it. Thanks for all the hard work to keep us entertained.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Steve’s Fastback showed very well! Was great to finally see it in person.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Big Show! Reply with quote

Here's the long story of a boy's first ever show adventure..

After spending weeks detailing and a couple days dealing with a trailer, buying a rug and mirrors and figuring all this stuff out, we get up at like 5AM to pack the bus and get set to camp.
One of the things i kind of forgot was that we have to also setup camp with the family for the weekend as well.
Thank God for my lovely wife who can handle that end of things so gracefully and efficiently.

Damon decided to come along in his bus as well, and by about 8 we were doing the four-hour hammer up I-5.

Funny how we have these buses with motors built for "high speed running" and Buddy would fly past us with a load on just for fun. Razz

Our other friends Michelle and Mauricio came along in his Benz to camp with us.
He's an Italian chef, so we ate very well.
When i first moved to the bay area i didn't know any other VW people and used to go to the Bug-O alone,
Now we're up to a mini-caravan and well-equipped camp. Cool

Getting unloaded and where to park and how it works and where to setup and all that is 100% new to me.
There was plenty of groping around and asking questions on my part.
While everyone else was hanging out i was running around.
Finally, about the time test n' tune was done i got to do my favorite thing at the Bug O, and that's hang out in the pits on Saturday night.
Racers are my favorite lot at this event. The real deal.
Yeah swappers and show types have some cool heads,
But the racers are the guys who are on their game, dig?

Anyways, i bumped into a guy who is one of my hero builders of German Look cars, Bill Tsagrinos.
Most of the GL cars i ever saw in HotVWs were done by him and his brother George.
Not many are into big type 4 motors, 5-speeds, Brembos and the like.
It was so cool to connect with a guy who does these things so well.
Once i started telling him about my car he wanted to see it.
Taking him over to the trailer and shining the light in there he figured out i had what i described, and knowing that i was probably going to get my car buried deep in the back row of the show, he called Steve Hole who puts the event on, and got me the front/corner spot in the show! Shocked
He told me to unload my car right now and park it to hold my spot for the next morning,
So that's what i did.
Ran back to camp, got Buddy to hook back up so we could un-load, and set my junk up right there next to the corner sign.
Because some drunk on a bicycle might come bombing through there and not see a black car in the dark,
Buddy and Angela spent the night with his truck parked right beside.. Shocked

All the while I'm doing this stuff the wife and kids and friends and fine Italian cuisine are growing cold in my absence..

Next morning, we got up before sunrise to try and get all the dirt off without scratching.
Fail.
Tried a bucket of water and a couple of different prep products on new microfiber,
but the sun came up and the car got scratched up like one of those cheap used cars on a lot with flags on a string downtown..

Even better, this guy showed up, and, with a straight face, told us we had to move our shit out of the way because he had pole. Rolling Eyes

My friend Buddy is gnarly, and after all that shit last night plus sleeping in his truck he was more than happy to fight for the spot,
But the guy is a nice guy and I'm sure deserved the pole so we let it slide and all and kept things peaceful.
Soon after, members of "Sacto Vochos" host car club also tried to shoo us into the back corner, but we had the wheels off already and that wasn't going to happen.

A lot of this 'show posturing' that you hear about started in at this time.
People who wipe their car down and give a steely glare to their competition..
Part of detailing your "show car" is to kind of strut about with your chest puffed out. Rolling Eyes

So here it sat, in the #2 spot, the only car there up on stands with mirrors underneath.
These closet mirrors we got had all these different frames which looked kind of stupid, but whatever..

The way stands lift it, the front came up on the 'dawn-hill' side as well, and made the car look like it was lifted in front.

Once it was all set up i sat there in a lawn chair and got baked by the sun, all swirled-up with scratches.
There was a dune-buggy guy next to me who was nice enough to let me share his shade.
Some came by and were pretty blown away by my nuts-o detail effort underneath, which was cool to share.
Often people asked about the car (or not, even Laughing ) and i gave them the pitch and answered questions.
Got to see 'nogoodwithusernames' 'rosevillian' and 'notched' from the forums here in person, and it was good to put a face to a name.
Also feels good to know that people actually read this stuff.
Something else is that nobody would be there, then a bunch of people would show up, and i couldn't talk to everyone i wanted to!
Especially you guys. You guys are my people.
Damn, i hate that we couldn't just hang all day, cruise the event, and check out your cars..! Sad

So that led me to missing the drags and not cruise the swaps, and not hang with anyone,
I just bailed most of the time to eat or pee or watch at least a few passes made.
Sucks to miss seeing some of you.
Wish we coulda hooked up.

Then it got hot, then then it got really hot.
Then they gave the awards, and it was not like in the day, where it was by class and all, here it was 'top 25'.
Apparently there where 25 cars there nicer than mine. Rolling Eyes
Saw a couple of them - guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Anyways,
I'm glad i got to check this off the bucket list.
Had a great time talking to Owen Brown at HotVWs, who i really hit it off with. That guy is super cool, and speaks type 3.
Looks like i might have a chance to get my car in the mag, and there's even rumors of another Type 3 special edition.. Wink

But really,
I can say i had two shows - my first and my last.
Being away from camp meant i missed the most important part:

Won't happen that way again.

Thanks for checking in, gentlemen.
We won't miss our chance to hang out next time..

What’s That Noise?!?

Last edited by Clatter on Mon May 31, 2021 9:16 am; edited 3 times in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Well if it makes you feel any better, your car was the only one I saw highlighted on the type3army Instagram story. Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

dude, welcome to the fucked up world of show cars.

display counts for a big portion of the points. you for sure got dinged for the bungee cord door stop. when i show, i have bars fabbed up to use the striker and the door latch.

mirrors, carpet, display board etc...all points.

anyway after years of dealing with "show" politics i said fuck it, not worth the time and effort for a fucking 7.00 trophy.

last straw for me was when my jetta was beat by some ugly ass golf with marvin martian airbrushed on the side of it and the engine bay literally sprayed with bumper chrome paint.

when i did the subaru bus....a bus you can see your fucking retinas in the frame rails i literally rolled up and opened the engine bay and went off to the swap all day. left cigarette ashes on the floor and a sweaty cup of ice coffee.

took first place Shocked

bottom line, and was told to me by a judge.... if you aren't a "club car" good luck winning.

another tip.... find what they judge on. display, tools, fire safety/ first aid etc etc. all of that can no joke be 50% of your score. don't let it discourage you but showing in my experience is kind of a waste of time.

at one show i went to i heard the promoter bitch about nicer cars being in spectator parking than in the show. i told the guy stop catering to club assholes with junk, people are sick of being beat by some shitbox with pock marked trim and roofing tar wheel wells.

sorry your debut went this way. your car is probably the most well sorted one in the show.

oh, another thing i was told by a "judge".....i took 3rd in my class because he "didn't like blue" i told him it's the original fucking color..... so yea....welcome to the fucked up world of show cars....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Well if it makes you feel any better, your car was the only one I saw highlighted on the type3army Instagram story. Very Happy

I saw that too, they declared you as a winner!

Were any of the top cars T3s? If not, I say there’s a bias...
This car has had amazing work done to it, just because you didn’t win doesn’t mean otherwise. Your car is the nicest Volkswagen I have seen. The amount of detail put into everything is amazing. Even body-working the engine tin Shocked I think most here would say it’s one of the nicest.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

A wise man from Santa Cruz once told me “Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder” Wink Laughing

Your car is magnificent, unique, sneaky, and all around Bad F’ing ASS!!!!

YOU DID THAT!!!

You are legendary my friend. And a great guy.

Can’t wait to see some burn outs Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Car looks F’ing Bomb! We all know that car is bad ass. You don’t need a trophy or special unveiling. Half of those peeps had no idea of what magnificent piece of art was in front of them. Now go enjoy it with your family and friends.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Nice to have met you, and that amazing goddamned car, man. Didn’t want to take up too much of your time, I could have talked VWs, type 3s, and Motörhead all day!

Your car showed very nice! Not to have made top 25 is a silly thing. I know a rattlecanned bug that made top 25. Whomever judges this event should be ashamed. Maybe you didn’t buy enough from Bugformance to award you a trophy?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

You probably didn't win because you were parked in the prime parking space and pissed someone off.

We go to shows to see friends, and fellow car enthusiasts, If someone cares to ask questions, or flip through the book with highlight photo's of the build, that's great, and we'll answer questions all day. But we don't need trophies to validate the work we've done, in fact the wife tears the number off her window tag so she doesn't get a trophy anymore.

You could stand and talk all day, and not cover how much blood, sweat, and tears, head scratching, and maybe a couple dollars ;o) went into this build. Dancing

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Hi clatter. Quick question. What size rims are you running? And is there a specific name for them other than 5 spoke Porsche rims? I searched your thread but couldn't find the specifics on the rims. Id image they came off a 968? A samba member and i are looking for a rim with deep backspacing with yours.

Thanks!

Rims are commonly called 'Cup 1s'.

Fronts are 964 and rears are 968 narrowed 1"

Details about the cutting/welding/polishing/painting etc. are in the thread here somewhere..

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
See ya tomorrow Steve, keep an eye out for a beat up blue Squareback in the show. At least it's clean though... Laughing Spent yesterday cleaning it up so it doesn't look too outta place, but better than waking out from the main lot Cool

Dag, Derek,
You were there -right- as the guy from HotVWs is giving me details on what makes a good cover shot.. Wink

Sucks that, just when i get a chance to meet you face-to-face,
Just when i get to see your MS build i been drooling on over on the STF,
Here it's right as I'm getting the skinny i was looking for..
Then you were gone and i wanted to track you down.
Hope you didn't feel like i snubbed you.

Aigh! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

I really, really wanted to see your setup my man!
Really want to do some bench racing..
Coulda learned SO much from you.!!

Here's the biggest issue i had with doing the show thing..
It's that the show ends up being what you do at the event.
It unfortunately, becomes all about my car,
When it's really all about the people, and their cars, dig?

If that makes any sense..

What’s That Noise?!?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Not a type three guy yet, but your quest for perfection shows everywhere.
Never been to a show , nothing here in vt. But i hooe you had a good day with your car and your family.

Ps you look alot like my buddy Jamie who passed a couple years ago, do you play banjo?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

We go to shows to see friends, and fellow car enthusiasts, If someone cares to ask questions, or flip through the book with highlight photo's of the build, that's great, and we'll answer questions all day. But we don't need trophies to validate the work we've done, in fact the wife tears the number off her window tag so she doesn't get a trophy anymore.

Same here - I only enter car shows for the good parking spot. I do, however, relish the couple trophies my Ps of S have won because it was 50 degrees and rainy and nobody with a 'nice' car showed up. Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Page 207 of 216

Jump to: