Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

YOM / Antique License Plates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

In PA, you can use old plates on any car considered an "antique", for an extra fee on top of the antique registration. I had to research the proper alpha-numeric sequence for the year of my bug (1969) and found one. The listing showed a 1970 registration sticker, but I was able to peel that off and found the 1969 sticker I was hoping would be there. I haven't actually started using the plate (I registered it "normally" due to the long delay last year from state offices being shut down)but I will probably put it on if I am at a show of any sort.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Very fitting
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Considering a move to North Carolina. In FL, there are no restrictions regarding running YOM plates. If I live in NC as a permanent address, I will have to change plates and registrations. Already called Hagerty about insurance change from FL to NC and there are surcharges unique to NC that will increase my premiums by around 10%. What are the rules for running YOM plates from your own experience?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Blackberry
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

On the advise of a fellow club member I sent my paperwork to NYS DMV to get the original plates back on my dad’s 67 Beetle. Best $3.75 I ever spent. The plate frame is from Charles J. Weis in Queens Village which is now a CVS. My mother wanted to kill my dad because he saved EVERYTHING! Now I am glad he did.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insanitize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:
On the advise of a fellow club member I sent my paperwork to NYS DMV to get the original plates back on my dad’s 67 Beetle. Best $3.75 I ever spent. The plate frame is from Charles J. Weis in Queens Village which is now a CVS. My mother wanted to kill my dad because he saved EVERYTHING! Now I am glad he did.

Just out of curiosity are the number the same as you fathers house number? I ask because that was popular in NYC in the 60's and 70's. I have a set of blue and yellow plates from that era that my aunt gave me and the numbers are her old address starting with Q for Queens.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Yes the Q is for Queens but the numbers are not even close to the house number. I remember a boat load of plates starting with QK, not really sure what the K is for. I do know that PA in the 90’s used the registrants initials as the first 3 letters of the plate.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:
....The plate frame is from Charles J. Weis in Queens Village which is now a CVS. My mother wanted to kill my dad because he saved EVERYTHING! Now I am glad he did.

That is pretty cool to have the original dealership license plate frame. Not many people can say they have that on pre-2000 vehicles, let alone from the 60's!!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

here is my bug with my yom plate. 52 plates from kansas are quite a difficult thing to find. the general population had 51 stamped plates with a metal piece to update the date. for a long time i thought 52 didnt exist. turns out that dealer plates were issued in 52. so here is my 1952 kansas plate. in the shape of the state as is correct.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
here is my bug with my yom plate. 52 plates from kansas are quite a difficult thing to find. the general population had 51 stamped plates with a metal piece to update the date. for a long time i thought 52 didnt exist. turns out that dealer plates were issued in 52. so here is my 1952 kansas plate. in the shape of the state as is correct.

That is pretty interesting with the updated plate in 1952 thing! I wonder why they did it that way that year, but went back to yearly plates again? Before posting I looked it up-They used the metal year tags in 52 and 53 to help save metal for the Korean War.

I'm in Manhattan, KS (where are you?).

Kansas transitioned permanently from the yearly stamped plates to the sticker system in 1977. So the last stamped plates were 1976. Until around 1980 or 81, you just put a new sticker on your 1976-stamped plate.

So my 1978 Bus wears a '76-stamped plate, with several old revalidation stickers. When I registered it to the Bus, they printed out a new sticker that says 1978.

I would say that a 1951 license tag with the 1952 metal tag would be perfectly appropriate for your car.

I am SURE I originally found a 1978 dealer tag like yours, but when I attempted to use this one, they said that wasn't allowed because it was for dealers only. I guess whoever was at your courthouse was more agreeable.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Easy to do this in Ohio.
I just registered YOM plates for my recently acquired 67 Ghia convertible.
The registration is good until 2046 Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

im in overland park.

oh, my bug doesnt drive yet. it actually hasnt been outside the garage since 1998.

i did put the dealer tag on the front. for those of you who dont know kansas only uses back plates, so you can put whatever you want up there. my friend mike has a german front plate on his gti.

my understanding is if i want to replace the modern one on the back i will have to use a 51 with metal thing updated to 52. we will see once i get the thing driving.

neat info about the korean war. i had wondered why but hadnt put 2 and 2 together. thanks for that!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Love that your plate is an outline of the state!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

yeah. its super fun.

can you imgaine if that was the standard?

Massachusetts or Idaho shaped plates?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
yeah. its super fun.

Rhode Island plates would be very difficult to read from very far away!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
yeah. its super fun.

Hawai'i would be a bitch!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Jimone wrote:
yeah. its super fun.

Hawai'i would be a bitch!

Florida or California shaped plates would scrape the ground no matter if lowered or not. Laughing Laughing
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

And a Texas one would cover up the back window. Very Happy
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: