Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 beetle rear torsion bar adjustment questions. Doing it right
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: 64 beetle rear torsion bar adjustment questions. Doing it right Reply with quote

While rebuilding my 64 chassis i am tackling some things that are new to me. Rear Torsion bar setting being one.

Chassis was powered coated so torsion bars removed, marked L/R. New rubber bushings installed. 100% stock set-up with no damage ever. (My family has owned this car since new)

My questions.

1. When setting the angle does it matter if there is weight on the chassis? I think no. 17.5 degrees as long as the chassis is level.

2. My passenger side bar is WAY stiffer than drivers side. For the same angle it takes way more to get the torsion arm above the lower hard stop. Is this normal?

3. Does it matter how you tighten down the cover and compress the bushings? I just drew them in little by little.

4. Do you lubricate the bushings? I did as otherwise they were not going on easy.

Thank you. Don't want to put the body on and have to re-do this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 beetle rear torsion bar adjustment questions. Doing it right Reply with quote

I'll tackle #4.....Bentley says to use talc on the bushings before installation. It's a little hard to find....I got some at NAPA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: