Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb is coming loose from mount
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Carb is coming loose from mount Reply with quote

My engine was idling very high and rich so I took it to a local mechanic to take a look at the carb. He said that there was a gap between the carb and the mount. Apparently, the threading in the carb where the bolt screws into was stripped and couldn't be tightened down enough to get a good seal. I'm going to try to tap the carb so that I can get the bolt in. If that doesn't work, I'll try rethreading with a bigger bolt. Anybody know the bolt size and thread count that holds the carb to the mount? Thanks a lot.

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb is coming loose from mount Reply with quote

Should be a M8x1.25

You might be able to use a longer bolt and put a nut on the end of it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb is coming loose from mount Reply with quote

What carb(s) are you running? Stock? Aftermarket? Dual carbs?

The easiest solution would be to insert a bolt through the stripped threads & use a nut on the other side.

Then possibly the Helicoil route.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb is coming loose from mount Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Should be a M8x1.25

You might be able to use a longer bolt and put a nut on the end of it.

Thanks for the info on the size. Can't get a nut on the top, there's a circular piece of metal that juts out and blocks it. I removed the carb 34 pict 3, and inserted a helicoil. I'm buying another threaded stud and gasket so when they arrive, I'll hopefully be able to thread the stud into the helicoil and just go on with my business.

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: