Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 Beetle transmission noise
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddrakenfd22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

I have a 1956 beetle with period correct motor and transmission. I am experiencing a whine from the transmission in first gear only and I have to be completely stopped to downshift into first gear. I am wondering if this is a clutch adjustment, bad throwout bearing. or do I need to have the transmission rebuilt due to worn or chipped gears, Thank you for any input that may be provided.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

that is normal for a period correct 1956 beetle transmission. it does not have a synchromesh first gear . and it is a straight cut gear. that is why it whines.
and why you have to stop to put in first . adds to the charm . Very Happy
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

Welcome to theSamba.com community! What he said above. Those are normal traits of a original stock drivetrain in any Oval. We recommend that like the rest of us you get used to it and eventually you'll embrace the chaos. You'll soon learn to come to a complete stop before attempting to shift into first gear to avoid the grinding of your gear. This is the nature of these wonderful old Beasts.

If it is unbearable to you, you can always pay to buy and have a later model fully syncronized transaxle installed. Have fun in your Oval!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

Or you can learn to double-shift it like I do my '59. It's pretty easy once you learn how. I like to think of it as a challenge each time and try to see if I can time the shift perfectly. Also my '62 Austin-Harley Sprite has a non-synchro first gear as well so I get lots of practice!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
ddrakenfd22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses to my question regarding my 1956 Beetle. As a first timer owning an older VW, I was concerned I had a problem. I am sure I will learn to embrace the uniqueness of the car.
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

Hello

I join this topic about tranny noise ... The '56 I just got have noise at neutral. The noise disapear when I pull on the clutch pedal. So I think it is release bearing ?

Any advice ? Is it dangerous to keep it or does it need absoluteley to be replaced quickly ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

noise in neutral would be a trans bearings. most likely mainshaft. the release /
bearing would make noise when you press the clutch in. I think you meant push the clutch not pull? check transmission gear oil level first. and condition of the axle boots while your down there. what kind of noise btw?

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

Yes, the noise stops when pushing on the clutch pedal
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Beetle transmission noise Reply with quote

The noise is reminiscent of friction.
The best would be if I made a recording

Just ordered 85W140 gear oil. I could be better for a _very_ used gearbox I think before considering removing the gearbox to renovate it ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: