Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That’s a small 200 mV ( y scale) ripple on the fuel pump voltage, but any DC motor will have a couple of ripple frequencies from the spinning armature . You ca actually see a couple of different freesia that plot. Did the scope have an FFT button? That would make them jump out

The loop coupling onto theHV lead could be changing a lot with small vibrations of the lead. Try making several wraps of wire to make those changes small relative to the sampled area.

Are you coupling in at 1 Meg impedance?

How do you use FFT and what is it for?

It changes you from time base to frequency base, and shows the frequency spectrum of the output.

You can describe a periodic shift in voltage as occurring every 2 milliseconds, or having a 500 Hertz(Hz) period.

Timebase plots the time version, theFT plots the frequency version, of the same data.

When the signal gets complex, the timebase looks like a mess, the FT shows sharp spikes at each frequency.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

I can make picoscope pretty much do what ever I want. There are math channels as well as measurements that you can do for each channel, like average rms and voltage (about 15 more). The software is free to download, so check it out. I prefer 6 over 7, but if you're new to pico, 7 might work for you.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

abscate- I am definitely going to look at FFT and see how that helps, I'll post pics after I learn a little more about how to apply it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

hans j- I actually did download it but I can't run it on my crappy hantek 1008c. It does allow you to scroll through the known good automotive waveforms which is helpful.
If I had the cash pico would have been my first choice but at $3200+ it just didn't make good sense. I got $100 in my hantek and with better leads, 650 amp and 65 amp clamp and 2 ht25 secondary ignition pickup and a 20:1 Attenuator I am into it for a grad total of $320. Its a good start for someone just getting started in scopes.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

abscate- I learned a little about the FFT and I do have it on my scope software.
I can defiantly see why you suggested it especially for the fuel pump. I'm not sure why nobody ever suggested it for checking the fuel pump frequency.

Looking at my spark waves I defiantly have a fuel supply issue and the FFT will come in real handy checking my pump.

I'm real curious on what it will look like on my spark waves. I am almost afraid to see it.

I am going to put that to work and I'll start posting pics.
Thanks again for the great advice!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

I converted some of my captures to frequency and don't really see any benefit to it? A good capture and the frequency won't change much. But a bad one changes a lot. Personally, I think current and pump rpm are way more important than frequency for fuel pumps on vehicles. It might have it's place in other things, but it's not really something that I have to do.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I converted some of my captures to frequency and don't really see any benefit to it? A good capture and the frequency won't change much. But a bad one changes a lot. Personally, I think current and pump rpm are way more important than frequency for fuel pumps on vehicles. It might have it's place in other things, but it's not really something that I have to do.

I haven't did it yet (been working at work you know). Dirty signals would really throw the FFT off and may show a issue where there really isn't one. That's my big fear with using FFT to analyze my signals.

On a fuel pump and a clean signal I think the concept is that pump rpm is frequency (albeit very slow one) and more than one hill will show change is frequencies easier over a longer period of time. In theory it would show bad pumps, fuel flow issues easier but I haven't tried it yet.

abscate- Does your scope have to be a storage scope for the FFT to be any use? The hantek 1008c is not a storage scope.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

For anyone still following this topic. The scope found the issues I was having with the car.

2 bad injectors
fuel pump weak, pulling 1 amps (pressure and volume was reading fine though)
bad plug on the temp sender 2.

Car runs better than it ever has and I only purchased the parts that were needed.

My advice is everyone should own and know how to use one of these.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

purple spark line
green hall effect
cyan running compression with pulse sensor

825 rpm
4.2 degrees ATDC

84 vanagon with a stock 1.9

BTW: the timing light shows more than 60 degrees BTDC!!!!!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

that's VERY cool with the compression sensor in there!!!

i refurbed an old school SUN scope that does a nice job with ignition waveforms. so much one can deduce from the those.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

It is a game changer for sure.

I purchased the pulse sensor because the van was loosing power the hotter it got.

I hooked it up to the exhaust and seen my #2 exhaust was hanging open.

Turns out it was the clip that holds the hydraulic lifter together was missing and the lifter was pushing itself apart in the block.

How long do you think it would have taken me to find that little problem without a scope? It took longer to drain all the lifters before I put them back in than it took me to diagnose the issue.

Frankly I have no idea how these guys diagnose these vans without one.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Yeah it's pretty cool. But your pressure sensor doesn't appear fast enough or might not be rated for in cylinder it looks like. This capture is using a Pico WPS500X and it is designed for that use as well as low pressure vacuum since it has three different pressure transducers inside. I use it for fuel, oil, in cylinder, intake, exhaust, coolant, and crankcase pressures. Pretty much anything except brake and power steering fluid (due to the pressures).

Delta sensors are extremely useful too (I use First Look Sensors and home made versions), but they only measure a change in pressure. They work faster than a transducer, but don't measure any actual pressure. These are useful in looking at mechanical cylinder contribution. However I've found on a WBX engine, even when the valves are properly setup, there is still uneven pulls and pushes in the intake and exhaust like this one shows.

Yes these tools are extremely useful, but have a place. I did have another shop in town condemn an engine and quoted a replacement for it. Sure enough this engine didn't have compression on two cylinders using a traditional gauge. But when I hooked up my scope, I found another story. The valves needed adjusting and it needed an oil change. After that work had been done, the engine ran great.

Another thing with these tools is few shops have them, and even fewer techs know how to use them. Toyota dealerships are required to have a Pico and WPS for testing cars, but few techs will touch them. In fact there are several OE's who use Picoscopes as their factory tooling. And if you are using Windows 10, look up the Pressure Waveform Overlays app. It will show you even more cool stuff.

Link

This is an abbreviated version of an 8 hour class I've taken. If you look up the other CTI videos and their virtual classroom, you'll find lots of information on it. It's pretty awesome stuff when you have time to mess with it!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
I guess I'll be the first to post them then Laughing

I saved fuel pump wave forms, ignition, fuel injectors and now hall effect in and out of the stabilizer.

I'll post them in a few, right now I am analyzing everything to see why this thing runs like crap!

First thing I did notice so far is my fuel pump is running around 3 amps which indicates a pump not working hard.

Second thing I noticed is my spark is firing BEFORE my injector is opening.

I'll post all the pics in a few so you all can look at them yourselves.

The idea behind this is to buy only broken parts from now on because this throwing parts at this van idea is getting way too expensive!

You do know that all the injectors fire as a batch right?
So injector spray before a spark is to be expected.
Now, if the spark fires before the intake valve opens...... now you have something.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

This is an awesome thread and needs bookmarking in the Vanagon FAQ AREA
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Known good waveforms Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
This is an awesome thread and needs bookmarking in the Vanagon FAQ AREA

It has been retitled and FAQ placement is in process........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar Reply with quote

hans_j...
Nope its not even close to being rated for in cylinder pressures so I 3d printed a venturi effect adapter for my first look sensor and what you are actually seeing is vacuum not pressure. I just needed TDC and not actual pressures so sometimes you work with what you have.

But I really really really want a Pico WPS500X, those are professional grade.

I'm still using the infamous hantek 1008c I paid $80 for. The thing is a tank and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a pico but it gets me going in the right direction.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar Reply with quote

hans j...

Please explain the pic with the intake and exhaust pulses.

Is the green exhaust and blue intake?

Are you running a aftermarket ECU? (vanagons don't have coil on plug)
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar Reply with quote

My before and after exhaust waveforms with fix....

diagnose (car loosing power when hot, have to hold petal to the floor most of the time just to keep going. no backfires or odd noises just no power)

waves before fix

exhaust wave

intake wave

diagnoses...
Odd pattern in the num 1 and 2 exhaust pulse
num 1 intake not closing (or opening) all the way.

Removed valve cover for cyl 1&2 head while hot and pressed in the rockers and all had some movement but the num 1 intake was hard as a rock.

Removed the rocker arm and push rods and seen that the num 2 exhaust lifter was missing the clip that holds it together.

repair...
removed all 8 lifters, disassembled and cleaned.
replaced missing clip (fabricated a new clip)
installed lifters dry and preloaded each lifter with 2 turns of the adjustment screw.

after fix exhaust wave with engine at operating temperature.

test drove and no more power loss.

Power loss issue resolved and no parts needed purchased.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
hans j...

Please explain the pic with the intake and exhaust pulses.

Is the green exhaust and blue intake?

Are you running a aftermarket ECU? (vanagons don't have coil on plug)

Correct. Green is exhaust, blue is intake. This is one of the captures I got when I was installing my ration rockers. I tried to get them all as even as I could.

Stock ECU, but I'm using an inductive pickup from AES Wave around cyl 1 spark plug wire, so it just senses the spark going through.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar Reply with quote

Did you source and document the pressure sensor up thread or did I miss it?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oscilloscope waveforms of fuel pump, hall sensor, injector, spar Reply with quote

Added to FAQ under "tools"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236040#6236040

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: