Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Issues with DHL?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

I placed two orders with CIP1 in the past two weeks. They ship via DHL. They got the orders out in a day. DHL moved the packages to Cincinnati from British Columbia the same day. Both packages got stuck at the DHL Cincinnati hub with a status of shipment on hold. Just me?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

Anything crossing the border can be held up in customs for as long as they feel like it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

I sounds like your order came out of their British Columbia warehouse.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

I honestly don't know what the deal is with international shipping. I've long had parts shipped to me internationally. Until covid, no problem. Since, mail shipping is the WORST. It took several months to get a grab handle from Germany via regular mail. No clue what DHL's problem is. The best success I've had with international shipping during covid is UPS. Whatever their secret sauce is, it's worth any nominal extra charge.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

you can call DHL and find out.

I got a CIP order placed during the flu and they were moving (or so they said) once it shipped (DHL) it was only 2-3 days to get to CT.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
you can call DHL and find out.

I got a CIP order placed during the flu and they were moving (or so they said) once it shipped (DHL) it was only 2-3 days to get to CT.

Not domestic DHL. International DHL is the issue.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

i guess i don't follow...

mine came out of canada and came to connecticut. last i checked that was considered international shipping

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i guess i don't follow...

mine came out of canada and came to connecticut. last i checked that was considered international shipping

Transatlantic shipping

photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

Maybe there was a COVID outbreak at their Cincinnati depot.

I work at Canada Post and this happens frequently.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I honestly don't know what the deal is with international shipping. I've long had parts shipped to me internationally. Until covid, no problem. Since, mail shipping is the WORST. It took several months to get a grab handle from Germany via regular mail. No clue what DHL's problem is. The best success I've had with international shipping during covid is UPS. Whatever their secret sauce is, it's worth any nominal extra charge.

It has nothing to do with UPS, USPS, FedEx, of DHL. Anything that crosses the border can be held up and inspected by US Customs And Border Patrol and the delivery company doesn't have any control in the situation.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

Ive not had a issue with dhl. but the usps morons are a whole nother story...like the item of mine that tracking shows it's loged into the local post office for...4 days now. wonder when those useless morons will put it on the truck for delevery...you cant fix stupid. they havent figured out how to close mail boxes yet either, especially when they stuff packages into them.( folded spindled and mutilated first of coarse) about 4 years ago they stoped delevering out of my local post office almost 2 miles away, now it's just a post office with out delevery....wtf??and the post orfice from then next city over(5 miles to that post office) was way over taxed for services&delevery 10-15 years ago, and needed another location added....again..YOU CANT FIX STUPID.
now the mail trucks comming this way ( probably 20 or more) daily have a extra 10 miles through florida traffic....again ...YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!! so..do I have issues with dhl...yes I reckon I do... Shocked they need to take over the usps so I can have my mail and my mail box door closed.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

Pre Covid, I received numerous multi package shipments from China, using DHL. Never had an issue, since many of the larger shipping companies have their own brokers for customs. I have had packages delayed because of bad translations or wrong worded description of contents, even had a package returned to China because of that. Then US customs has the last word of when the parcel will be released for delivery.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

It has nothing to do with UPS, USPS, FedEx, of DHL. Anything that crosses the border can be held up and inspected by US Customs And Border Patrol and the delivery company doesn't have any control in the situation.

This is true, but I have purchased numerous items from overseas over the past year and UPS was always the most expeditious by weeks. USPS was the worst, took more than 6 weeks to get a grab handle from Germany. Tracking was awful and inaccurate. UPS stuff came in a week. People who regularly ship from Europe have told me that their experience with DHL has been poor and to go with UPS, which is all I have used since the USPS shipment. I have no skin in this debate. Only going on experience.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

it mighta been a larger box, or though to be with some with contraband.and trashed/incenerated.....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

Every order I place coming from the USA is a problem. Your postal system refuses to recognize my mailing address and I am constantly being asked for the correct one. This address has served us perfectly for over twenty years for mail within our postal system and for the previous owners of this home for the last 70 or so years! It is very frustrating to say the least. Some venders are so insistent that it is wrong that we have to use someone else's address and drive to that town to pick our goods up. On the other hand I did convince a vender the other day to just ship it addressed as I requested and guess what? It works! Well... duh!!! Rolling Eyes

It matters not which shipping company, our problem is consistent across the board with all orders from your country. Orders from overseas never seem to be a problem. I have received orders from England, Germany, Japan and China with no issues.
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

I am trying to order a gas tank for one of my cars and the seller (a large company) is telling me they can't ship it via DHL because it is "too large".

The seller is in Germany, I am in USA. They are asking me to "make my own arrangements". I have no idea where to begin.

I can't be the only person in history to try to do this.

Thoughts?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

A lot of our overseas customers use DHL and they are a PITA to deal with.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

This is true, but I have purchased numerous items from overseas over the past year and UPS was always the most expeditious by weeks. USPS was the worst, took more than 6 weeks to get a grab handle from Germany. Tracking was awful and inaccurate. UPS stuff came in a week. People who regularly ship from Europe have told me that their experience with DHL has been poor and to go with UPS, which is all I have used since the USPS shipment. I have no skin in this debate. Only going on experience.

It is no surprise that USPS can be very slow internationally.

This is a late answer to an old thread......but people need to understand with regard to overseas shipping and the United States Postal Service (USPS)..........the USPS.....does not own a SINGLE AIRCRAFT.

100% of USPS overnight air "MAIL" shipping.....small parcels and flat packs......are contracted through Fedex......but.....NOT on Fedex flights. They are run space available on commercial airline aircraft. They also in overflow times have some private contracting through UPS and other freight airlines.

Other larger parcels are private air freight. And....last year was far worse in mid year.....as with the whole world in quarantine and having everything in the world shipped into them.....and UPS and Fedex and all others running balls out.....and less employees due to covid......AND......70% of all airliners were parked......and tjose in use were regional jeta with no cargo space......the vast majority of small mail even when listed overnight or 2nd day was going truck and intermodal.

Jet cargo from overseas....eapecially from Europe...... has been so limited.....and therefore so expensive that unless product is needed immediately.....many are being shipped over water.

I just had a set of metallurgical samplea for a client.....about 3 pounds worth......that had to be shipped in April from Cologne. The cost for 3 pounds air freight was over $500......with warranty. Much less with no delivery guarantee. Client opted to ship in a normal container run. It arrived in port of Houston in June.

Lots of shipping problems in the world right now. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. It looks like going with FedEx or UPS would have similar issues to DHL in terms of shipping a fuel tank? I wonder if I told the seller that sending it via "ship" would be fine (I'm in no hurry), just as long as it arrives?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with DHL? Reply with quote

My NOS passenger mirror just took 3 days from Germany to Oregon on DHL. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: