Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in the process of redo my interior on my OTW camper.

If we take the center section of the bus, after removing the old wooden ceiling I see each part is attached on metal bows on the width but on the length it's cut in two parts (left and right of the bus ) and the two parts comes side to side with screws in the middle attached to a bloc of wooden hidden between the ceiling and the metal roof.

Is this center part "normal" ? the wooden block is simply laying on the 3mm ceiling, it shouldn't be attached somewhere?

Is it possible to use one wider piece of wood from side to side simply fixed on the metal bows? would it be clean on the sides or do I need a wood structure somewhere to complete the OG metal bows on the roof?

I can try to send pics if needed but not use it would help I suppose.

Thank you for your help!

Steph
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

Picture would help. I reads like you are describing the wood occupying the inner curvature thusly staying aloft and curved by the arch and final assembly of the crown wood length.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

yes, do post pictures.

on non-westy campers they often had a left and right roof panel and something in the middle where they meet up.

the westy ones were one piece all the way across. One in the back over the engine, one over the cargo area, and then the drivers cabin area.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

Thank you both for your answer indeed it's the case of 2 panels that meets on the center.

It's the wood we don't see where they meet up I'm talking about, here are some pics I did when removing.

As it's a tin top shouldn't I try to make it in one piece like on westys? It's harder to do if I have someone helping me to maintain it in place when I screw on the metal bows?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

I did the one piece version on mine. Once you get it cut to the right size and it snaps into place you won't need anybody to hold it. I had to take the rear part out a few times to get it right. Unfortunately the wood started cracking on me in the right rear corner, where mine has a bracket for an interior light like those on beetles.
I got the dimensions from this great build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704132

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

I think the US campers did it that way because they were using 4'x8' paneling, which is too narrow to do it all in 1 sheet. Westys did the 1 piece across thing as their panel sizes were different.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
I think the US campers did it that way because they were using 4'x8' paneling, which is too narrow to do it all in 1 sheet. Westys did the 1 piece across thing as their panel sizes were different.

Bingo!, to use it with the grain to get the curve North American sheets aren't quite wide enough, hence the seam. It was quick to build and lasted long enough to get it off the dealers lot.

If you wanted to improve upon it you could pop rivet a longitudinal strip of sheet metal to the roof bows to have something more solid to screw into. Or use European sized sheets and do it in a single section as already mentioned, if it's just the right width it pops into place and holds itself up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

Thanks, so I'll try the one piece it will look cleaner I guess!
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden panel ceiling center fixation/structure? Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
I did the one piece version on mine. Once you get it cut to the right size and it snaps into place you won't need anybody to hold it. I had to take the rear part out a few times to get it right. Unfortunately the wood started cracking on me in the right rear corner, where mine has a bracket for an interior light like those on beetles.
I got the dimensions from this great build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704132

I'll re-read this great topic, thanks for the tip
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: