Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Output Quad 4 in a Rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magrima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: High Output Quad 4 in a Rail Reply with quote

After going back and forth with different motor swap options for sand rail, I happened to pick up a street legal sand rail with the high output quad 4 mated to a 5 rib bus for a pretty good price. Had it up and running the other day and took it out on the road. Everything is great except when you step into it, its almost like the rev limiter kicks in really early. It doesn't have a tach (will be installing one soon), but if i had to guess its probably kicking in at 3000rpms or less, so not much into the pedal. It does so in every gear and in neutral. In fourth gear i can only get up to 55mph which doesn't make sense to me. It feels like its kicking in right when you hit the power band. It has the stock PCM, harness, and fuse box and the engine came from the 1993 pontiac grand am, so I know the engine has way more potential. I still have to dig in more, but figured Id pose the question to see if anyone has a thought or any experience with these type engines. TIA
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: High Output Quad 4 in a Rail Reply with quote

It should be OBD II, does it have a diagnostic plug still? if it does take to your local parts store that will test it for free.

Eq
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: High Output Quad 4 in a Rail Reply with quote

These guys had a similar problem -

I did have a running issue and have been trying to solve for better than a month on this buggy. It would act like it was hitting a rev limiter at 3000 to 3200 rpm. Stumbled hard. Very disappointing. Worked with the Harness builder after Carlisle Import Nationals event, and he sent another ECU, but did not solve it. Checked every recommendation he suggested and nothing.

Went back through the timing chain, nothing, so installed a second new chain and guides. Changed Coils, Changed Injectors, Changed VVT Solenoids, Changed VVT Phasers, Changed Cam Position Sensors, Added additional grounds, New Battery, Leak Down tested engine and no change. All other sensors were new already. And did not buy cheap stuff, bought AC Delco or Delphi.

After the Parts Cannon had been emptied on it, made the decision to buy another new harness from a different supplier, $$$$. That company asked only one question, which intake Manifold are you running? WTF??? So the new harness arrived, and they sent a MAP sensor with it. This MAP sensor did not match the engine like the new one currently on it. OK, why not try it before switching the harness and ECU. The first fire up, the exhaust smelled different and the idle was super smooth. Time for a test drive. I did not even make it out of my 40 foot driveway and could tell the difference!!
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: