Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone?
8 amp hours
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6 amp hours
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4 amp hours
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2 amp hours
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
1 amp hours
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

If my iPhone 11 battery runs very low, how many amp hours of my aux battery capacity are needed to full charge it?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

Too many variables. What amperage is your USB charging port? Or the charger itself? Are you disabling wifi and cellular while charging?

This question is useless without details.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

I think you're in the 2 amp hour range +/-1
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

iPhone 11 batteries are ~3100mAH. so... figure a charge conversion efficiency of a conservative 60% therefore:

XmAH x .60 = 3100mAH
XmAH = 5100mAH or 5.1AH

that's for a fully discharged phone batt, which few let get that low but this is all armageddon scenario figuring a dead batt and poor charge efficiency.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

I didn't ask how long it would take, just how much energy would be needed from the aux battery. The phone battery only holds a certain amount of energy and that is roughly how much must come from the aux battery. I realize there losses and some small variables.

Mark

kourt wrote:
Too many variables. What amperage is your USB charging port? Or the charger itself? Are you disabling wifi and cellular while charging?

This question is useless without details.

kourt
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

You missed a key aspect which is the relative voltages of the 2 batteries in question. That puts your 5.1ah number way off, too high.
I'd say your efficiency assumptions are off too, but don't know that for certain.

Mark

DanHoug wrote:
iPhone 11 batteries are ~3100mAH. so... figure a charge conversion efficiency of a conservative 60% therefore:

XmAH x .60 = 3100mAH
XmAH = 5100mAH or 5.1AH

that's for a fully discharged phone batt, which few let get that low but this is all armageddon scenario figuring a dead batt and poor charge efficiency.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a USB amp meter in my van. I think my Android is something like 1.3 amps... I'll double-check when I get home next week.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For $13 you can read how many mAh passed thru this device.
a "USB Meter" on Amazon

The USB outlet adds some losses but it's probably not much different than the power that departed your aux battery.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

It took more energy to makes these posts than the energy in a phone.

Laughing

Just looking at my battery meter, it charged from 2100-2300 to full cap last night ona 1 amp brick at 5 volts, that’s 10 watt hours

So fir your 12 volt battery, that’s less than 1 amp hour

It’s marginally on par with the self discharge rate of a flooded lead scid battery!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You missed a key aspect which is the relative voltages of the 2 batteries in question. That puts your 5.1ah number way off, too high.
I'd say your efficiency assumptions are off too, but don't know that for certain.

Mark

DanHoug wrote:

XmAH x .60 = 3100mAH
XmAH = 5100mAH or 5.1AH

ack!! you're right!! need to equivalent everything to watt-hours, which accounts for the voltage diff. oops!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

DanHoug wrote:

XmAH x .60 = 3100mAH
XmAH = 5100mAH or 5.1AH

As best as I can tell, iPhone 11 batteries are 3.7 volts and 3100 mAH so charging one from zero will consume 11.5 watt hours or .9 amps from your aux battery assuming it's @ 12.7 volts.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

I think you meant to say .9 amphours so I'll agree, plus a little more for efficiency losses.
What meager info I have found for car charger efficiency indicates a 5% to 10% loss, far less than many home wall chargers waste.

Mark

jimf909 wrote:

As best as I can tell, iPhone 11 batteries are 3.7 volts and 3100 mAH so charging one from zero will consume 11.5 watt hours or .9 amps from your aux battery assuming it's @ 12.7 volts.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How many amp hours of aux battery to charge a phone? Reply with quote

so, Mark.... what's the application for determining the rilly small demand? curiousity? running an array on the edge? off grid budget balance? inquiring minds and all that.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: