Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for the long haul
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

I get it!

I am still amazed that the stock case and crank will take that kind of power though... I suppose it's only for a few seconds at a time in a light chassis.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

11 days til launch....I got an extra day off so we are now leaving on July 1st and don't have to be back till the 25th.
Weather forecast looks to be clear sailing with some heat....we will pack plenty of water and not travel too far each day.
So far we have two destinations to check out......Crater Lake in Oregon and We will spend an extra day in Lone Pine, California along with our usual stop in Mammoth Lake for an overnight or two.

Buggy has over 1000 miles on it for the season so far and is trouble free so it is a go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Safe Travels, We'll see you at Big Bear!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

The countdown is nearing.......5 days to launch.

The buggy has 1300 miles on the refresh and it's running sweet. There is not much else to do but pack clothes and wait till Thursday morning.

Work is getting in the way and the temperatures have climbed here in the NW.
They are predicting 100 plus degrees for the next 3-4 days....that should acclimate us to the Cali climate...... Wink Crying or Very sad

We are both getting pretty antsy to leave and will do so as soon as we can.......

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Mileage 105,360

Launch day has arrived...... We leave first thing in the morning.

Buggy is washed and ready to go. All we have to do is throw our bags and Ice Chest in, top off the gas and we are off.

We plan to hit Big Bear Thursday the 8th.

See you there if you are going.........

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Safe travels! Do you wear any safety gear or intercoms for the long highway stretches?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Safe travels! Do you wear any safety gear or intercoms for the long highway stretches?

Nope.

Shorts, tank top, sandals and sunscreen is all we wear.
I do put ear plugs in when the road noise gets to me after a while.

We made it to La Pine Or........heading to Crater Lake for the day tomorrow to see the sights.

There's a whole lot of nothing between Ellensburg and La Pine..... Rolling Eyes

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Sometimes, a whole lot of nothing is a good thing. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley part of LA. I have lived the last 32 years in Lake LA, out in the desert north of LA. which neighborhood most all of you have seen on TV and movies and commercials and still photos. And I HATE to ever get any closer to LA. I would vastly rather drive for extremely long stretches of desert for days and days with not a soul in sight, than to do a 1/2 hour of crowded ass city. ANY city.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Well.......We have a slight problem.

We are in Susanville, Ca. with a stripped rear disc brake rotor hub.

Would anybody know of a replacement fairly close that I could purchase.

I can get a rental car and drive to get it if anyone has an idea.

So far my one option is CarCraftStore in Riverside if and when they open.
Looks like it would be Tuesday at the earliest but that would still allow us to continue on.
One other is Fibercraft in Reno but they are closed and I can't leave a message.

If anyone has any suggestion We would appreciate it.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your problem. We had a major brake down on a cross country trip with the buggy years ago. We had a flatbed tow truck put the car in the back of a Uhaul and got it (and us) home. If you can get to Big Bear, you are close to parts stores or get to C B Performance. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

We have a plan..... it’s on the Manx Club FB page.
If all goes well we can still make Big Bear.

That will be an option to keep in mind..

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Great! I see you are getting some wonderful (and typical) Manx Club help. This is a great club! Tom
Manx Club & CVA
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Susanville is still hundreds of miles from Big Bear, which is right up the mountain above Riverside (well, with San Bernardino between) where Car Craft is located in the original EMPI shop.

Hope you get or got things fixed and going again.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Sometimes things don't work out as planned........We are back home and will miss Big Bear this year.

Thanks to all of you that helped us in Susanville, Reno and Carson City.

My Brother and his Son were kind enough to make a 14 hour power run to pick us up. They arrived at 11:00 am Thursday morning and we just got home this Friday morning at 4:00 am. driving straight through.

There is an issue with the transmission besides the rotor....surgery will commence and it will be good as new in no time.

I do have off till the 26th of July so we will go to plan B.....I'll spend a couple days getting the buggy torn apart to fix it and we will take little trips out from home and still have a great vacation.
A Whale watching trip and some semi local camping with our little Leisure-Lite trailer is on the agenda.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

double post

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Last edited by clonebug on Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

All part of the price of chasing those last few ponies! Wouldn't life be much simpler if we were content with a nice moderate HP increase? Wink

A bit more boring... yes... but simpler...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
All part of the price of chasing those last few ponies! Wouldn't life be much simpler if we were content with a nice moderate HP increase? Wink

A bit more boring... yes... but simpler...

If it was easy everyone would do it.......travelling 1300 miles one way in a buggy is a challenge no matter how it is built.

Apparently a super diff is not designed for long distance travel due to the inferior oiling capability. Even though the builder modified it to get more oil it wasn't enough to travel long distance and climb long hot grades.
We went over at least 11 passes in the 1000 miles we traveled and each one was a long climb at 6% for at least 2 to 5 miles at a time. Temperatures were pushing 100 degrees and the forecast the next few days was up to 117 degrees.
It wasn't worth risking our lives to try to climb another 10 passes that top out between 6500 and 8000 feet in Timbuktu with no services or shade for 100 miles or more.
It was time to call it quits...which we did....there is always next year.

I already have the body almost ready to pull. The Trans builder is going to fix it next Saturday while I wait and that is pretty darn good service if you ask me.
He will install a stock diff but with the 10 tooth spider for a little more strength.....it's a driver so I'll just replace the spiders if or when they fail....the originals took 7 years of abuse before they failed...I think I can live with that.

Even though the vacation was cut short we still had a great adventure seeing things no one else will ever see unless they venture out on a trip. We did get to spend a day checking out Crater Lake so all was not lost.
My only regret is that I can't get to Big Bear and see all the buggies to decide which new body and color I would like since my Wife told me to go ahead and pick out a new one to upgrade mine.......she's a keeper.......don't you think????

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

So clonebug - was the car still able to roll after the super-diff failed? Do you know the brand name on the super diff? I just had a transaxle that had one installed and plan to drive it long distances. We lost a brake rotor spline on a long trip before, but the car could still roll, it just acted like there were no gears at all in the transaxle.

I also have a "keeper" wife. Thanks. Tom
Manx Club & CVA
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Hey Tom,
It seems the oiling issue is only on the swingaxle super diffs due to the fulcrum plate and gear setup for them.
An IRS super doesn’t have that issue.
Once the spline strips you don’t go anywhere unless you want to destroy more parts trying.
After replacing the rotor we actually drove another 170 miles trying to decide whether to continue or not.......every time we climbed a grade it would start shaking and it was probably the fulcrum getting hot and starting to seize. It works fine when cool but it wasn’t worth taking the chance and putting anybody in a difficult position.
We owe many people a lot and already can’t repay them for their generosity and time.
I’ll never tighten a rotor to the spec torque without going one notch tighter again... I learned a good lesson.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

clonebug - thanks for telling me the issue is only with swing axle super diffs, mine is an IRS. Call me a "wimp", but after our brake down 2200 miles from home, I always bring a support vehicle. It has helped me and other buggies travelling with us. Tom
Manx Club & CVA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: