Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hirth roller crankshaft
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

There a guys who wants to sell me a hirth roller crankshaft im looking to buy it.....i know folks ain't a fan of them because of this and that but I was wondering if anyone had tried to have custom plain bearings instead of roller bearings and what are your guys thoughts wouldn't the pain bearings help these crankshafts ????
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

Do you know how much a custom set of babbitt bearings would cost? Over $5000.00 if you could find someone willing to do it. If you want plain bearing crank use a normal crankshaft If you want a roller crank buy it and use as designed Racing not puttering around town.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
a hirth roller crankshaft

What's the original application?

If its for a Porsche Type 547/1 it's worth more than your cars.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
a hirth roller crankshaft

What's the original application?

If its for a Porsche Type 547/1 it's worth more than your cars.

I have no porsche just vws ...I like 36hp performance stuff but I like to get 356 info on their parts and what ideas are good or not ...
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

Be aware that there where roller cranks available for 40 hp and 1600 VW engine, They had 1 piece rods and used standard main bearings. I have 64 mm and 69 mm versions. SPG might have been the brand???

Roland
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Be aware that there where roller cranks available for 40 hp and 1600 VW engine, They had 1 piece rods and used standard main bearings. I have 64 mm and 69 mm versions. SPG might have been the brand???

Roland

Yes spg were pressed together and twisted easily compare to the hirth rollercrank. spg also made some for the vw 36hp engine but are rare .afriend of mine bought a 356 engine tore it down and it also had a spg roller crank in it ....I was just wondering if plain bearing would help the hirth roller crank instead of rollers bearings on the rods ....maybe no one thought about it ...I know it would be much cheaper to throw in a regular crank but it was just a question and a thought in my brain "what if " lol I guess I'm bored in life at the moment 😅
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

Call me stupid, but on the SPG, the rods are one piece. You would have to press apart, and then the journal sizes are still unknown???
Roland
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

i saw a real neat looking lamp made out of roller crank. the crank stood upright with a porsche shade on it, impressive at the least.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

The unreliability of roller cranks is a good reason for not installing one and ending up trashing an engine.

Wonder why early 356 Super engines are so rare today???
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

Same reason the cars are now. The roller crank was designed for racing not for tooling around town.
bill brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hirth roller crankshaft Reply with quote

No way a roller crank can be converted to plain bearings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: