Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Temperature Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caramzn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

I have a 1600cc dual port in my 63' baja bug. This was a mexico built remanufactored engine and it came with a pulley that only has 1 notch so I'm having difficulty with timing. I'm running a pertronix flamethrower distributor.
Big issue is that both cylinders on the passenger side of my engine are running at 160 to 170 °F and the driver side cylinders are running at 230 to 240°F. Need some help on a possible solution.
Note: this is my first vw so if not inch is needed please let me know.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

Single carb right? or FI?

Also, i would buy a quality degree pulley, and time it per your carb/dizzy combo.

Other than that, check to see if mud or other crap is wedged between the cylinders and tin. And that you have your sled tins, "hoover" bit, and all that while your at it.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

I'd check for vacuum leaks at the rubber couplings and at the manifold ports before worrying about timing.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'd check for vacuum leaks at the rubber couplings and at the manifold ports before worrying about timing.

that too. If they are bad, id recommend the red rubber, not silicon, couplers.

Also, you said your running a a pertronix so i assume theres so vacuum advance. If there are any un capped nipples, plug them.

There should be one on each end casting(or just one of the left side i think), at least one on the intake runner under the flange, and several depending on what carb you have.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

Is the engine running a doghouse oil cooler or non-doghouse? It's normal for the driver's side cylinders to run hotter with the non-doghouse cooler.

Pics from the gallery:
Non-doghouse type shroud
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doghouse type shroud
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

caramzn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

So with some of these questions coming up:

Running a Single 34pict carb. I do have a couple open nipples that have not been plugged so I'll plug them up and see how it goes.

And yes, a SVDA pertronix electric ignition distributor. Thanks for the support, I'll look for some vacuum leaks.

And latest one, yes it does have the doghouse oil cooler.

When it's at idle it gives off a faint popping sound out of the 1st cylinder which runs the lowest, around 160°F. Would this also be a result in the vacuum leak?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

Remove mouse, mud dabber, or other nest out of the engine tin.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Is the engine running a doghouse oil cooler or non-doghouse? It's normal for the driver's side cylinders to run hotter with the non-doghouse cooler.

Good ! I was going to ask this. Also, 1600cc in a VW with a non-vented engine lid is marginal at best. Or use lid standoffs or tennis ball trick.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

caramzn wrote:
When it's at idle it gives off a faint popping sound out of the 1st cylinder which runs the lowest, around 160°F. Would this also be a result in the vacuum leak?

Possibly, a vacuum leak on the right side could cause #1 and 2 to run lean of peak or lean misfire. How do the plugs look?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
mukluk wrote:

Good ! I was going to ask this. Also, 1600cc in a VW with a non-vented engine lid is marginal at best. Or use lid standoffs or tennis ball trick.

baja
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

caramzn wrote:
I do have a couple open nipples that have not been plugged...

That could certainly contribute to your problem...especially if one of those nipples happens to be on the left-side manifold casting.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Temperature Issue Reply with quote

Well start from scratch, in an attempt to find top dead center on number one for starters. Then do the valve adjustment, how are they loose tight. Moving on if you have found top dead center you will be able to time it correctly.
Agreed with the above about vacuum leaks. Having the engine in a Baja makes easier.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: