Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best grease for wiper motor
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend the best grease to use in the gearbox of the wiper motor and how much? The stuff in there now is leaking out a bit, and the wipers are also very very slow when first started... I don’t think this is quite right.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

Just a light lithium grease, not the white stuff though.
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Just a light lithium grease, not the white stuff though.

What is wrong with the white stuff? (seriously want to know, not doubting you) I want to be sure that I use the right stuff in my present '64 Beetle.

The gears on my '64 were full of bearing grease. It was oozing all over the place. Years ago when I first opened up a wiper motor gearbox on my 63 Beetle there was some chalky dried up old grease in there. Once I cleaned that out the wipers turned nicely.

Also, I think years ago I did one and used a product called "Super Lube" synthetic grease. It had good cold temperature characteristics and also didn't turn into a liquid on hot days. Though since it has silicone in it, I wonder if that might ooze... it does also have PTFE which is supposed to help it to not ooze, I have been told.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

I used a moly grease (like for CVs and wheel bearings), and I believe it is a bit too thick, especially when cold, for this application.

Next time I have my dash apart (which I hope is never!) I'll repack it again with whatever we come up with here.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

kwalker wrote:

What is wrong with the white stuff? (seriously want to know, not doubting you) I want to be sure that I use the right stuff in my present '64 Beetle.

Have seen the white stuff turn into a hard concrete after many years. Also have seen it attack aluminum bearings stored on a reground 36 HP crankshaft. Turned the aluminum into something that looked like cooked oatmeal cereal.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

I just want to know how you take a wiper motor apart without springs and things flying everywhere. That happened to me. I just ended up buying another one.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I just want to know how you take a wiper motor apart without springs and things flying everywhere. That happened to me. I just ended up buying another one.

A. When in doubt take things apart while sitting in the middle of a junky bed sheet.

B. Slowly remove cover and look for all the parts as you remove the gear box grease. Should be a small warpy washer on one side of the gears.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

I"ve read of folks opening a contraption up while in a clear bag or a pillow case. The former has the advantage of seeing where parts flew out of! But both at least don't let them eject into an alternate universe. Studying exploded diagrams from manuals helps to (almost) know what to expect.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best grease for wiper motor Reply with quote

For removing the motor I use a fine fishing line to tie the brushes/springs up, after maintenance re-assemble and cut strings - keeps the things from flying around.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: