Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Widespread Panic at Red Rocks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:

"Its not the years, its the mileage".

Dan

Beat me to it!

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Is this some kind of Rocky Mountain High kinda thing? I've never heard of this band.

Georgia Jam band in the vein of the Allman Brothers. They hold the consecutive sellout record at Red Rocks. (Grateful Dead #2.) When I was a bit less encumbered, I used to travel far and wide to see them; now I just drive 20 miles up the highway and see them three times in one weekend. Or I did until this summer.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

JoeTiger, it looks like WSP at the Rocks is back on for June 25-27: (May 21, 2021) https://www.9news.com/article/entertainment/music/...07ffe073e7

My first concert there was The Clash's brilliant Retrospective/Combat Rock Tour with Allen Ginsberg in 1982. The Red Rocks Amphitheater setting was awesome that clear August night, with the rocks rising on each side, the band jamming down on stage, the Denver power-grid spread across the background behind the stage, and a line of supercells lighting up the far horizon with near constant lightening.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
JoeTiger, it looks like WSP at the Rocks is back on for June 25-27: (May 21, 2021) https://www.9news.com/article/entertainment/music/...07ffe073e7

My first concert there was The Clash's brilliant Retrospective/Combat Rock Tour with Allen Ginsberg in 1982. The Red Rocks Amphitheater setting was awesome that clear August night, with the rocks rising on each side, the band jamming down on stage, the Denver power-grid spread across the background behind the stage, and a line of supercells lighting up the far horizon with near constant lightening.

Indeed Widespread Panic is coming back. I'll be there for all three as well as their Thursday show at Mission Ballroom in Denver. Just responded to your PM.

The Clash at Red Rocks...I can't imagine. I saw The Who in Dallas in 1982 and The Clash had dropped off the tour as the opener the show before. Instead, we got Billy Squier. Mad

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Cool! I have not yet become acquainted with WSP. Mrs. Black and I will be around that week, got tickets to the Shakey Graves show on Wednesday. Not sure we can fit 2 RR shows in, but would be glad to see you out there sometime that week!!

My '82 The Who concert was in St Paul, and it was so loud, I credit it with at least some of my hearing loss. Can't remember the warm-up band. Nothing in any databases I can find that says much more than that The Who played, and a set list.. It was a good show tho.

-bobby
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

WSP; greatest band in the land. Greatest cover band in the land! First RR show was 5.31.96 - my 3rd show - place was about 1/3 full. And that's when I got on the bus so to speak. +200 shows later my hearing is constantly jammed with a high pitch whirriing in my left ear most noticeable. Received it on the last note of School's bass on 04.16.2000. Too cloose to the stack was I.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Get to see 'em when I can, but it's very few and far between these days, unfortunately. Haven't been to RR since '02 or so I bet. Used to live in Steamboat so RR was not too far off.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Seeing a show at Red Rocks in on my bucket list. I had a ticket to see Phil Lesh there in 2000 or 2001 but decided I didn't feel like making the 10+ hour drive by myself Brick wall

I'll admit I'm not the biggest WSP fan but I did see them in Missoula a few years ago. I had a great time and, due to some brownies, walked away with a funny story about getting lost in a crowd. Quite literally, in fact.

I just bought my first set of pre-pandemic concert tickets a few days ago. Todd Snider at the Wilma Auditorium! I can't wait and am looking forward to seeing other shows this summer.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Ok, educated myself with an hour of WSP. Reminds me of my 3 day weekend in '87 at Alpine Valley with the Dead, sleeping in my '70 Beetle parked in the middle of a golf course.

I feel funny, all of a sudden.....
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Ok, educated myself with an hour of WSP. Reminds me of my 3 day weekend in '87 at Alpine Valley with the Dead, sleeping in my '70 Beetle parked in the middle of a golf course.

I feel funny, all of a sudden.....

I was at Alpine Valley camping on the golf course 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 before they moved on to other venues... The bus came by and I got on...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Seeing a show at Red Rocks in on my bucket list. I had a ticket to see Phil Lesh there in 2000 or 2001 but decided I didn't feel like making the 10+ hour drive by myself Brick wall

I saw Phil & Friends at RR in '02 with Willie Nelson co-headlining. Veggie burritos, brisket, tie-dyes, and straw hats all packed into Red Rocks. Great show.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

designer wrote:
WSP; greatest band in the land. Greatest cover band in the land!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. WSP is great, but Phish obviously holds this title Very Happy Goose has caught my ear lately. They also do very solid covers.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

The weather was hot and dry and smoky early last week; I used it to my advantage to get a night at my new favorite campsite before the festivities began.

Then we had a Vanagon meetup. I got to meet Bobbyblack, and he went to Red Rocks and probably had a crisp, dry, Rocky Mountain Magical evening.

Then the weather pattern changed. Ominous clouds enveloped the sky prior to the indoor Mission Ballroom show on Thursday.

(The van ran terribly that night. As shot in the dark, I changed out my new Bosch MAF out for the old one from my stash Friday morning and that fixed it. What the hell?)

Friday night was cold and wet--I mean wet like a bull pissin' on a flat rock.

I happened to have a tarp and some rare earth magnets handy so we were able to set up a makeshift cover for the bar area. One of the disadvantages of our traditional spot is that I can't deploy the awning.

It rained and rained and rained Friday night, like Louisiana rain (wish they'd played that.) Then I piled six sweaty, drenched dudes into my van and found that I did not know how to operate my Vintage Air defrost. The insides of the windows were wetter than the outside. And it was POURING rain. And we were so wet and cold. Good God.

And then there was a flood on I70 so we sat, parked, on the highway for two hours after the show.

Saturday morning, after finding Kourt's excellent explanation of Vintage Air defrost procedure, I aired out a van that smelled like a pack of wolves had been living in it.

Carrying my wool Mexican blankets that we use to save seats back to Pigpen after the show Friday night was like transporting medicine balls. I couldn't leave them behind but I wasn't risking them getting soaked again, so I stopped by Ross Saturday morning and bought $9 disposable blankets.

Spirits unbroken, we headed back out Saturday afternoon. Former Sambanista SoonerDave can be seen napping off the prior night's trauma during an early afternoon break in the weather.

Frolicking in the non-rain.

I'm sure this can of Scotch Guard will keep everybody dry tonight...

...because here comes wave after wave after wave of this.

Thank goodness we have a Vanagon in which to ride it out.

(Normally I'd be sitting up there but she's cool and she asked nicely.)

Fifty degrees and soaking wet can't slow us down. I felt like we were tailgating for an early November Notre Dame game.

The show Saturday was drier, but windy and unseasonably cold.

Sunday we were back at it, rain in the forecast but 59 degrees instead of 50. It does make a difference.

I caught this photo of a buddy and his son walking next to a pristine Westy. I see those folks at every Sunday Panic show. I really think it's the only time they bring that van out of hibernation. It's flawless.

Time to pack up and head in. I can tell that we're getting older--the van doesn't get nearly as trashed as the old days.

The shows were some of the best that any of us can ever remember seeing. The band, the crowd...There was just so much joy about being out and together again; it's hard to describe.

And, a guy from SF who has been flying in and coming to our tailgate for years gifted me a 2nd row pass on Sunday! What a weekend.

Pigpen did a heroic job in horrible weather and under tremendous weight stress (these are big people.) Without much solar, the batteries did their job keeping the fridge cold and the stereo loud.

In this morning's Lost and Found, I became the proud owner of somebody's flip flops, a full set of clothing, a poncho, a raincoat, an umbrella, a cooler bag, and another cooler bag. And a bunch of beer, tequila, and whiskey that I'll donate to my neighbor.

Dry weather needs to return, and soon. One of the dudes in town from Baton Rouge had a cologne addiction. My whole van smells like Drakkar, nicotine sweat, premium Colorado weed, and dirty feet.

So it was a TOTAL SUCCESS! It's great to be back!!!!! Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Great write up, thanks!! The Wednesday RR show I went to was damn fine! First timer seeing a show there, and Mrs Black thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Was trying to twist her arm into a weekend show, but alas, she felt he need to head back to the East.

Good to meet you and the Denver group last week!!!

Hope to see you again soon!!

-bobby
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Great write up! You're pics brought back some good memories - slinglin' tees through all those lots - laughing, ducking for cover, making friends. Envious of peeps with busses.

I listened to all 4 nights and I think the mission show was the best but i LOVED Set 1 of Sunday.

Thanks for stirring the mem'ries!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
WSP is great, but Phish obviously holds…. They also do very solid covers.

They better because, although they’re great at playing their instruments, their song writing… well. I guess you like it or you really really don’t. Wink

Thanks for the report Joe - I’m itching more and more to hear some live music. Gotta find a local bar act soon!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Great write up! You're pics brought back some good memories - slinglin' tees through all those lots - laughing, ducking for cover, making friends. Envious of peeps with busses.

I listened to all 4 nights and I think the mission show was the best but i LOVED Set 1 of Sunday.

Thanks for stirring the mem'ries!

Hell if you were selling shirts in the lot, I probably bought one. Smile I still haven't really put it all together, so much fun and such a blur, but the Mission show stands out (not only because of personal comfort) and set 2 on Sunday was just so much fun.

SCM wrote:

Thanks for the report Joe - I’m itching more and more to hear some live music. Gotta find a local bar act soon!

There was a guy next to me Sunday from Missoula. Because we were so close to the stage that the band could probably hear us, every time there was a break in the action he screamed "PLEASE COME BACK TO MISSOULA!"
After the fourth or fifth time, I glanced over at him, not judging, just glancing.

He shrugged his shoulders and said, "okay, I'll stop. I just really want them to come back to Missoula."

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

Awesome time Joe. Thanks!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:

ALLEN GINSBERG?
WTF. You are really old.
You mean the Beatnik poet, author of "Howl"?
The Clash were kinda special, as well.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

I used to work there in the 90s. Local #7 stagehand.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

At first glance this band name conjures up a way more dire situation in a public gathering than the olden days.
I expected to read about actual mayhem.

Quote:
The Clash were kinda special, as well.

Kids these days 😐 surprise ! Old people own old cars ? 😂

White riot - I wanna riot
White riot - a riot of my own
White riot - I wanna riot
White riot - a riot of my own
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Widespread Panic at Red Rocks Reply with quote

It's that time again, our annual weekend with WSP at Red Rocks. We were hoping for better weather this year, but with the monsoon flow kicking up, we'll probably be wet again. However, last year we were pounded by a giant northern front, and this year it'll be the more typical thunderstorms from the south.

In any case, North Lower lot along the road, we'll be out there so stop by if you happen to be attending!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: