Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mercedes spindle nut
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
The factory specified tighning/adjusting is as follow.
Tighten nut snug ~10nm ie 8ft lbs. Spin wheel a few times.
Slightly loosen nut and then adjust until the washer can just be push back and forth with the tip of a screwdriver. Not tapping but pushing with your screwdriver. If you are using the Mercedes washer it is a bit more straight forward as the washer must be able to be turned with the screwdriver tip.
This has not changed in over 5 decades.

I did my first one in 1978. You got me by a few.... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You want a bit of end float on a Good needle bearing.

Figure out which way it tightens then slowly tighten the nut as you spin the wheel until the bit of rocking stops.

Too loose is better than to tight, to a point

I like to adjust the bearing so that there is a tad of rock to the wheel when everything is cold, but once you have driven 20 miles or so the rock it gone, as there is no problem having a light preload on the bearing once the hub has warmed from use. I do monitor the hub occasionally after an adjustment to make sure the bearing isn't so tight it is generating excessive heat.

On other brand cars I don't try as hard to get the front bearing right on, but with the way rear engined VWs get thrown around in the wind I want to eliminate all the play in the system that I can.
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

Do these work on my '87? Original question is for early spindles.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

The spindle nut is the same for all of the 2wd vanagons.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

On big trucks, they now want you to way overtighten the bearing while spinning the wheel, then back it off and do as normal. Don't know if that would help them stay tight.

Roland
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

Asked the seller about combined shipping on more than one and they responded by adding these listings.

these prices include shipping

2/$8.46ea including bolts $16.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353529759677?epid=7020205887&hash=item52500407bd:g:jhwAAOSw7XZgwfpc

4/$7.50ea including bolts $29.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353529761291?epid=7020205887&hash=item5250040e0b:g:TtgAAOSwJ4ZgwfuU

vanis13 wrote:
Dealer $8.80 and would have to order. eBay the same time and would come to my door. Should have Monday

vanis13 wrote:
thanks for the replies.

From this post

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8981723#8981723

the solutions seems to be

Genuine Mercedes W116 C36 Wheel Hub Nut Front Left or Right 1163340372

looking at ordering these though will check w.local MB dealer in the AM first

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353291054993?epid=7020205887&hash=item5241c9af91:g:~qAAAOSwyPhfvP4u

$10.95 WITH the bolt and 4-day shipping.

also:

ebay avail for $8.56 w.o bolt and slower shipping

FCP and Autohaouse AZ at $6 + shipping it comes to $22 or $11 ea w.o bolts

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
    Wildthings
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
    On big trucks, they now want you to way overtighten the bearing while spinning the wheel, then back it off and do as normal. Don't know if that would help them stay tight.

Roland

You overtighten the nut when you have installed new bearings to make sure the races are all the way into place, otherwise if the races aren't seated the bearings would loosen up almost immediately.
    bobbyblack Premium Member
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

You overtighten the nut when you have installed new bearings to make sure the races are all the way into place, otherwise if the races aren't seated the bearings would loosen up almost immediately.

Couple weeks ago now, but indeed, new rotors, so new bearings. New Tires needed balanced, and my 'guy' said my bearings were a tad loose. That was after about 4 days (short trips/grocery getting) of use. Had followed the tightening routine to a T. Followed it again the day after I got his advice. I should probably see how things look again next week before a trip to Denver. Man, I have to say that fresh rotors and pads and bearings and these nuts gave me a huge confidence boost.
    The Carrot
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

My new nuts also bring me new found confidence, but i do miss the manly bravado required to take a hammer and chisel to the delicate end of my spindle to peen my old nuts.
    Zeitgeist 13
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

Prose lifted directly from his #OnlyVans account ^^^
    Crankey
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

Interested to see if these represent a problem if your using cut down grease caps on your spindles to fit wheel center caps.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    Jake de Villiers
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:

Roland
    I learned to do it this way in 1972. Its the only way to keep the wheel bearings on your race car from loosening!
    http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
    www.crescentbeachguitar.com
    www.thebassspa.com
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    StefDS
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
    gbrandt wrote:

Would this also work on a syncro?
    MarkWard
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes spindle nut Reply with quote

StefDS wrote:
    syncrodoka wrote:
    gbrandt wrote:

Would this also work on a syncro?

Sorry no. The syncro has a one piece pressed wheel bearing with a wheel hub pressed in and the outer CV joint torqued quite high holds the entire assembly together.
    Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
    Page: Previous  1, 2
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: