Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Add fuel shut-off inline?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitty_64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

anyone add shutoff in fuel line after tank to make it easier to change filter, lines etc? thinking of this one. thoughts? pictures of how anyone else has done this.
thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079L61VRT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3FTADPCW6DCYJ&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

I do this on all my VWs but I just use a brass ball valve and two barb fittings from Lowe's or a local hydraulic shop.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

You mean like a reserve valve? Very Happy

VW made one that mounts to the tank and can be controlled from the cab. Take a browse through the forums to see what they look like and how they mount.

It's a bit more involved than what you've got there, but they're a factory bit...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48177&start=14
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

The reserve is for when you run out of gas. He is asking about a valve to shut off fuel so it doesn't shower you when changing the fuel filter or removing the motor.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitty_64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
The reserve is for when you run out of gas. He is asking about a valve to shut off fuel so it doesn't shower you when changing the fuel filter or removing the motor.

you are correct! you have any pics of where you mounted yours and filter?
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

splitty_64 wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

you are correct! you have any pics of where you mounted yours and filter?

I don't have a photo but they are both mounted under the tank before the hose enters the engine bay. The shut off is installed maybe 8" of hose past the petcock/bung of the tank where I can hang it from one of the factory fuel line retainers and the filter is in line shortly there after where I decided it would be easy to access when it needed to be changed.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

If you pull the factory valve knob half-way between 'on' and 'reserve', you get 'off'.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

From the 1960 owners manual:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:

I know what he was asking and I answered appropriately... midpoint on the valve is off...

I'm pretty surprised that someone with a virtual fleet of splitties hasn't found that function yet.. Today is the day that happened! Very Happy
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

I know what he was asking and I answered appropriately... midpoint on the valve is off...

I'm pretty surprised that someone with a virtual fleet of splitties hasn't found that function yet.. Today is the day that happened! Very Happy

I am privy of how a reserve tap works. A bus reserve tap is a NLA part. You have to find/buy and rebuild an original or modify the beetle version that is available to work in a bus which is backwards. Even then you have to drill mount and route a cable to a non existent bracket that you will have to fab and weld in place under the tank, to control the reserve tap from the cab like an early bus. Add up the cost of all the parts required there and then figure the time and labor vs the price of an inline ball valve that only takes cutting the fuel line for install. The OP asked for a fuel cut off not a can of worms to open. You can cut the corners off a square to make it fit in a round hole or you can just find the round peg.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:

I am privy of how a reserve tap works. A bus reserve tap is a NLA part. You have to find/buy and rebuild an original or modify the beetle version that is available to work in a bus which is backwards. Even then you have to drill mount and route a cable to a non existent bracket that you will have to fab and weld in place under the tank, to control the reserve tap from the cab like an early bus. Add up the cost of all the parts required there and then figure the time and labor vs the price of an inline ball valve that only takes cutting the fuel line for install. The OP asked for a fuel cut off not a can of worms to open. You can cut the corners off a square to make it fit in a round hole or you can just find the round peg.

Lol... that's why I said it was more involved than the valve he'd posted.

Nothing in his post indicated he was insisting on a simple solution, so I offered up a VW option instead of an aftermarket... plenty of people have decided that going through all the steps you outlined was a worthwhile endeavor so why not let him decide which route he wants to go?
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

Lol... that's why I said it was more involved than the valve he'd posted.

Nothing in his post indicated he was insisting on a simple solution, so I offered up a VW option instead of an aftermarket... plenty of people have decided that going through all the steps you outlined was a worthwhile endeavor so why not let him decide which route he wants to go?

He provided a link to what he was considering, a simple inline valve. I thought that indicated what he was after. Silly me.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
splitty_64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Very Happy i don't have that option in the cab; i will go the simple way as suggested.
thanks!
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

splitty_64 wrote:
Very Happy i don't have that option in the cab; i will go the simple way as suggested.
thanks!

Yup. There'd be a bit of work to get a "factory" solution, but it's out there if you ever decide to go that route.

Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:

Even then you have to drill mount and route a cable to a non existent bracket that you will have to fab and weld in place under the tank, to control the reserve tap from the cab like an early bus.

One will need to rebuild a used bus fuel tap (thank goodness the rebuild kits are same between type 1 & 2) and if the cable is not needed one can just use either a type 1 or 2 fuel tap. Either way easy to reach under and flip the fuel tap when needed. One can even make a longer handle for the beetle reserve tap and have it reach out to the passenger side to be even easier to flip when needed. Have the reserve tap in our 1963 SC and no cable, and works fine for us. Helped a fellow years ago with a 1967 KG that the owner wanted the early reserve tap installed without any holes or welding. Made a handle and a bracket for the handle. So he could easily reach around the rear of the passenger front tire to flip the switch when needed from a squatting position beside the KG. Additional bonus with an easy to reach reserve tap is if one parks somewhere they feel maybe someone could try to steal the VW, they can turn off the fuel from the tank. Really freaks out thieves when a hot wired automobile conks out a couple of minutes later out on the road. Almost certainly thieves will just bail, and not stand around trying to diagnose what is causing the engine to not run, which will just cause other folks in the area to take interest...

BIG problem with just adding a valve in the fuel line is to replace the flex fuel line between the tank and valve means again having fuel leak out while doing so. Original VW fuel taps are designed to go right into the tank, so all flex fuel lines can be replaced without little to no fuel spillage while doing so. Know personally two folks who were burned badly while under automobiles, not something we would like to see happen to anyone else.

Sure the OP asked about just a valve in the fuel line, but....
If someone was to ask if they could use a pair of tin cans and a string to talk to a friend in another bus while traveling together in convoy. All here could have a good long discussion about what type of string to use or best cans for such. Really better to cut to the chase and suggest a pair of walky talkies or even CB radios instead. Might not be what the OP wants, but informs of possible better solutions. If not what the OP desires they can say so. Then let the debates and tech info on string types and cans begin!
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

It seems the fuel reserve tap compares well to the tin cans and string you mention since it is a part that VW decided was old and obsolete after they added a fuel gauge. Maybe a nice pair of vice grips for clamping the fuel line could be suggested as an option too!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

There's electric options as well, fully automatic and handy if there's a fire: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578216

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
It seems the fuel reserve tap compares well to the tin cans and string you mention since it is a part that VW decided was old and obsolete after they added a fuel gauge. Maybe a nice pair of vice grips for clamping the fuel line could be suggested as an option too!

Just because something is newer than something else does not mean it does not do the job better or easier. The problem with Vise-Grips is one has to have it on a flex hose, and definitely will require sliding a lot more under the bus.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

It's not that tricky to install a tap at the gas outlet. I understand that someone might feel intimidated by it, though.
You can climb under the bus to turn it off if you don't feel like installing the cable to the front. I find it easier to pull the knob up front, though.

I think the bigger issue is the idea you should turn off the gas to change the fuel filter. That indicates the filter is under the bus, and you might have discovered an annoying problem with the idea of locating the fuel filter there... that when changing it you get gas poured on yourself, as it gravity feeds out of the tank, while you are under it.. Shocked

Solution: put the fuel filter in the engine compartment, so you can check it easily when you check your oil. Also, when changing the filter, gas does not pour all over you. Very Happy

I like to orient the filter so it is horizontal, as below. The bus below has a fuel tap, so I can pull the knob halfway out to shut off the gas. Which is not needed to change the fuel filter, but a good idea when pulling the motor.

You can use a fuel line clamp when pulling the motor, or changing a fuel filter underneath, if you don't have a fuel tap. They are easier on the soft lines than vise grips. This is simple. Muir suggests plugging the hose with a pencil.

VW did drop the tap when adding the fuel gauge. I doubt if it was that they thought a tap obsolete, more that having both might be considered repetitive and redundant.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Add fuel shut-off inline? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

Just because something is newer than something else does not mean it does not do the job better or easier. The problem with Vise-Grips is one has to have it on a flex hose, and definitely will require sliding a lot more under the bus.

Dang! Tounge in cheek doesn't translate well. I figured with the additional mention of vise grips the illegitimate nature of my comment would be amplified as most folks only use them in a pinch, pun intended, because unlike fuel line clamps they can easily and unintentionally damage the rubber line.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: