Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjustable swing plates for ‘56
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Adjustable swing plates for ‘56 Reply with quote

Just want to be 100% sure. I had some adjustable swing plates on my ‘63 back in the day but I know the torsion caps were solid & didn’t stick out beyond the caps. My ‘56 they stick out a few inches beyond the s torsion caps.

Can these be used on my ‘56??? ——> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456409

Thx!!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable swing plates for ‘56 Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
Just want to be 100% sure. I had some adjustable swing plates on my ‘63 back in the day but I know the torsion caps were solid & didn’t stick out beyond the caps. My ‘56 they stick out a few inches beyond the s torsion caps.

Can these be used on my ‘56??? ——> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456409

Thx!!

No those will not work on a 56, You need ones like in my pic. They are a pain to put on so i sold them and indexed my spring plates. Here is a site if you want to go that route. Chart shows how much drop you can get with moving the spring plates. I just used an angle finder, moving the spring plates up lowers and vice versa. What part of CA are you from ?
https://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm
Kaddie Shack carries what you need also
https://shop.kaddieshack.com/Swing-Axle-Adjustable...egoryId=-1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable swing plates for ‘56 Reply with quote

Thank you! Glad I asked!! I don’t really even *need* them as I’m hoping to balance my saggy rear with a mildly dropped front when I do it.

Just a cheap grab. But if I really want I’ll definitely go kaddie as I’m in So cal too. (Chino) 😉

And I will NEVER do urethane bushings again as I see on kaddie’s site as those were the noisiest thing I ever heard. (Hated ‘em on my ‘63) Mad

Think my saggy rear is saggy enough?

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable swing plates for ‘56 Reply with quote

I hear you about the Urethane bushings, maybe try and replacing your bushings or maybe your shocks ?
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111511245A

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable swing plates for ‘56 Reply with quote

Getting back to this....(time coming up now)

Anything in particular made you decide to not install these??

You'd still have to pull your own plates to do the drop so not sure what else would make swapping out more difficult?

TIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: