Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new dual port cylinder tins
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

i also have an ad placed, so if you want pricing, go there, the intent of this post is to discuss the cylinder tins and answer any questions you may have

I wanted to get you quick this brand new product I am getting ready to roll out.
I have recreated the VW dual port cylinder tins.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you know, the dual port tins sold by SCAT and EMPI have many shortcomings.

I think these tins will ge a total game changer - now you don’t have to make due with SCAT/EMPI
parts and you don’t have to spend hours fixing vintage tins.

I have fixed all the issues with the SCAT/EMPI tins by having my people make
very good copies of the VW tins. I told them to not cut any corners.
First of all, I AM NOT DEALING WITH THE CHINESE! Yep, I am working with the Tiwanese
The difference in mentality in incredible, these guy really work hard to make good parts.
In fact, I think my tins might actually be better than VW, let me tell you why.

As you know, the SCAT/EMPI tins have no internal air vane, the mounting holes for
other tins do not line up, the curves are wrongs and two of the flanges are too short.

my tins are better because:
1 my tins have the internal air vane
2 my holes all line up
3 my flanges are in the right places
4 all of the curves are correct
5 thicker metal can hold up to more abuse, stock VW is 0.026" thick, mine is 0.040" thick, and extra 0.016" makes a huge difference
think about it, thicker metal = more difficult to dent, more difficult to crack
6 I give you the option on if you want threaded inserts or not for the carb preheat insulator
7 I give you a choice, you can get my parts in silver primer or powdercoated, stock is considered satin black, but I have 90 + colors

Today I ordered 100 sets of tin, it will take 2 months to get here. I would like you to be the first to see these parts.

You can get just the cylinder tins, or make it part of a complete kit, what ever you need.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

I like it but as you know VW people are cheap to a fault.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Will you offer versions that clear dual carb manifolds?

Yes, VW people are cheap, but time is money. Searching through greasy stacks of tins only to find most are for single ports and the dual ports usually have the spark plug holes cut up.

Match it to the "Cooled" fan shroud and it makes the top of the engine .. nice.

But some times you get lucky and find NOS.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Yeah they are more pricey, but how many hours of labor will someone save reworking old tins or getting cheap ones to fit?

The guy rebuilding his stocker on the cheap will pass, but the guys building 6k + engines might pull the trigger.

I have one set of OG tins in good shape, but that's it. I used to scour Pomona swap for decent tins and always came up empty. Just a bunch of aftermarket garbage or OG tins that were hammered/rusted to death.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

I really like them but if I had to give one piece of constructive criticism it would be that the number font is different. It's subtle overall, but the big giveaway is the "1" on originals do not not have the little horizontal line at the bottom.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Dual port tins that clear dual carb manifolds would really be a big seller I would think.

I really like the tins you’re bringing to market but wouldn’t want to have to heavily mod them for my Skat-Trak tall 48IDA manifolds.

Hoping you’ll consider offering a version that clears most of the popular aftermarket dual carb intakes.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

well at this point, we copied the stock parts, so if you have thicker manifolds, yes they would need trimmed, i do offer that as 1 of my services, but i will keep that in mind for future options.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

It's easy enough for the engine builder to trim them. If you have trouble trimming them you probably shouldn't be building an engine to begin with Twisted Evil Plus the best way to do it is trim based on the specific manifolds being used. Making universal high clearance tins would not work so well as it would leave a large gap with some combos, and probably not enough with the real radical welded ones.

I still like a good original set, however these are a game changer so nice job. Original ones are getting harder to find. The previously available repros are all pure garbage but these look real solid basically an exact replica. I like that they are a bit thicker gauge material too.

Someone needs to make a little set of various sized VW logo punch stamps, you know... for that show winning kind of restoration. Ok just kidding, well kinda Wink
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

well the difficulty to finding good used tin is was drove this, i have never been happy with the scat empi stuff, but it is good enough for a baja, but will not use on a street car. i spent over a year making this happen, these are really nice, heavy duty items.

but yes, i have folks send me 1 manifold for mock up, as like you say, there are so many differnet manifolds, making a generic cutout would almost never be right.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

judging my the photos, id say the quality is better than stock because,

A. most vw tins have wrinkles, these dont.

B. the finish will last longer.

HOwever, if you made tins that accept thicker manifolds, you would be selling these left and right. id even buy a pair.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

i hear you, but i am starting with stock, and as i am sure you know, there are many manifolds out there, so trimming for 1 or even a few will not work for all, again, i do offer that service. i think many folks can use the stock setup.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Trim them to fit Rolling Eyes

He can't produce a cover that will be snug around all the aftermarket manifolds produced in the last 50 years. Let alone a welded set.

Your starting with a better than new tin set.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Trim them to fit Rolling Eyes

He can't produce a cover that will be snug around all the aftermarket manifolds produced in the last 50 years. Let alone a welded set.

Your starting with a better than new tin set.

like a set with a larger opening, but a flexible seal that wraps around the manifold?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tin Reply with quote

Glad to hear more people stepping up to the plate to fill a void with a quality product. Having just recently re worked some cheap garbage Empi tins I’ll be sure to keep you in mind on the next one. Now if someone would offer a rear breast tin that would fit an early car with a 1600 or larger engine!😳
70 911T
91 Westy
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Just sent you an email. I’m very appreciative of your efforts.
Why did you wait 40 years though? 😉

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

My 1835cc DP engine sports my factory 1970 SP tins that I cut to fit back in 1976. I did pick up two used dual port cylinder tins to install next time I have the engine out/apart, but this engine hasn't been apart since 1986.

That "someday" will also include painting the tins black.....

I'd like to return the non-doghouse fan shroud left air outlet to stock from the dealer-butchered AC type, but don't know if a part exists to do this....let me know if there's a way !!! Thanks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Dang it Cusser!
I just removed my outlets last year.
Unfortunately, I threw them away.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Just e-mailed for a basic set. Went out in the shop with calipers and found some .040" sheet metal and came back and e-mailed immediately. .040" is not messin' around.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Can someone explain what the carb preheat insulator is?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

mikemck wrote:
Can someone explain what the carb preheat insulator is?
seals and insulates the breast plate tin against the heat riser on stock single carb manifolds. There's a little pipe attached to the main intake runner tube. It runs down and connects to the #2 & #4 mini "header" tubes via a small flange. So effectively you have exhaust gases passing through a little tube thats heats up the manifold to promote better fuel atomization and prevent carb icing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: