Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I'll put that frame on my buggy with its Wash 63 plate. I don't know when Marable Motors started, but in an old '63 yearbook Marable Motors is a sponsor and in the '64 yearbook it's Don Hansen Inc. with the same address and phone number.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I don't know when Marable Motors started, but in an old '63 yearbook Marable Motors is a sponsor and in the '64 yearbook it's Don Hansen Inc. with the same address and phone number.

Approx 1957-late 1963 before the change:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/usa_dealers_wa.php
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

posers what to act like they bought the pos new?? my brother gave me a 73 bug about 7 years ago. it had dealer plate frame, from the local dealer, all the books were in it,all the dealer repair and maintnance and oil change recipts were in it. totaly documented. it had a new carb on it,sweet wooden stearing wheel, fancy shifter with crome tube over the stick that had holes in it,stainless fender guards, stainless door guards all kinds of vw acc's. I gave it away to a guy and told him I just wanted the trans.the motor ran great, I dont have a clue if it was stock or not, the body was rusted byond repair as usual.interrior was nice but needed a good cleaning,it had new carpet under bonnet and some other new parts yet to be installed.all I wanted was the trans back...when he brought me the trans back, he had to cut off one of the axles for some reason.witch i didnt mind. but when I washed the trans it had a fancy blue hd cover on the side with the extra ribs/rings machined through the blue.the t/o arm was gold iridited as was the input shaft, when I pulled the side cover it had a super diff in it.I didnt go any farther just put cover back on and stuck trans in corrner for another day....Im gladd I told him I wanted the trans!!! now I wonder what size the engine was....I dont have a clue what kind of trans it is( who built it) I doubt it has a few hundrad miles on it...Im pretty sure it was built in the mid 80's or late 70's. as it sat at my brother house for 20 years befor comming to me for a few months.and it had been sitting a long while before he obtained it. you just never know what may be behind dealer plate frames. even with a car full of dealer maintanance recipets* all owners manuals and 3 chittlen&motor manual...I think I did alrinhgt for parking it hear for a month or so and giving it away to get the ugly holly rusted away car outa my sight...and all I did was go through all the info and take a few parts that were laying in it and the manuals of coarse... they guy needed a good start on making a buggy.( frame & suspension)
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's a cool looking frame, I like it Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

marble motors....oh so thats what the noise is.... Shocked so when the motor fials...you have lost your marbles??
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

How NOT to buy the Dealer Plate Frame of your dreams.
Go to VW Classic.
Walk the swaps, and come by the guy selling plate frames.
Find a "LakeLand VW - AMC Mattoon Il. in L.A. Ca. 1800 miles away.
Exclaim to the guy "That's My Home Town VW Dealer !!!!!"
They went out of Business 20 years ago, how much do you want for it?"
If they guy had half a brain he doubled the price on me for being so stupid.
I'll get a photo posted Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
How NOT to buy the Dealer Plate Frame of your dreams.
Go to VW Classic.
Walk the swaps, and come by the guy selling plate frames.
Find a "LakeLand VW - AMC Mattoon Il. in L.A. Ca. 1800 miles away.
Exclaim to the guy "That's My Home Town VW Dealer !!!!!"
They went out of Business 20 years ago, how much do you want for it?"
If they guy had half a brain he doubled the price on me for being so stupid.
I'll get a photo posted Saturday.

If arbitrarily doubling the price on an item because someone shows enthusiasm over it is thought to be common practice, you must go to swaps with a lot of assholes.

The only plate frame I have was exactly that, a dealership in a friend of a friends home town. It was offered to be given to them if they made it to a certain VW event, but they never showed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

an update from page 1 and 2 regarding reproduction plate frames...

1. ive nearly wrapped up an early gus mozart frame in plastic. probably will be printed in a durable nylon.

2. would anyone be interested in custom plates with custom lettering using the dealership style frames? i had one person in the PM's express this idea but wanted to see if anyone else was on board.

i think you can have basically the same thing done on ebay, but not using the dealer frame styles.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: