Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Since I've been spending more time reading here in support of this project I thought I'd introduce our van.

Iglaaq is a 2002 Weekender, bought by my sister Eileen in 2012. By that time she knew she had a complicated case of thyroid cancer and decided it was a good time to live a bit of her long-time camper dream:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eileen worked as an anthropologist for the National Park Service in Anchorage, AK, and spent a lot of time working, living, and being friends with Native Alaskans. Thus the van ended up being named Iglaaq - an Inupiat word for traveler or visitor. Iglaaq lived in the lower 48 - often in Las Vegas - and Eileen camped all over the West in this van and got the full value of what had been kind of a premium purchase in 2012.

Her last road trip was in 2016, from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN to our folks' house in New Jersey. Before Eileen died there in September 2017 we talked about all sorts of things, including making sure the rest of us enjoyed Iglaaq.

So here we are today. At 143k miles Iglaaq is having its turn on the lift for a bunch of deferred maintenance: brakes, shocks, engine mounts, and a trans service. I'm adding a hitch for use with bike and other racks, and found that the rear bumper bar has turned to flakes so that'll get changed out, too. The pax door latch rod needs to be replaced again, and the slider needs tuning.

More to come in 2020, once Certain Items arrive Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Dont forget to put her picture in front, and in the rear, so she can travel with you and see where you are going, and where you have been.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Looks like a really nice van, and it's great to see the legacy will continue.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

It's definitely got good karma, and we're always accompanied Smile

Got the rear bumper out, good thing we've got a replacement part coming as there's not much left to work with here...

paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Well this should solve the problem.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

What's the rest of the undercarriage look like? That's a whole lot of rot on that bumper support. EVs don't rust out here, so I'm shocked to see that kind of disintegration.

y u rune klassik?
Wyotdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Nice lookin' brethren in there too. Do I spy a 964?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, more pics of that guy

y u rune klassik?
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Casey - the van is really clean other than rust in weirdly specific places. Heatshields, as might be expected, but only some. The trans pan is really rusty and should be replaced, but I have other plans for the trans that should fix that problem. Some rust on bare suspension bits. And the disappearing bumper.

The bumper is an assembly of folded sheet metal and looks to have been maybe e-coated but not painted. The sad little dash of cosmoline on the outside did bupkis. Those folds have lots of drain points but must hold water. Well, until they rust through.

Other than that, it's very solid, and not hiding rust under the undercoating, either. Weird, but I'll take that vs the opposite.

Stablemates are both daily drivers - my wife's 01 Boxster S and my 96 993. Last winter's project was to refresh the 993:

paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Got the bumper replaced and hung the hitch, decided to pass on the trans service right now since I need a state inspection. Went for a test drive last weekend and found on my return that the passenger side hard line was leaky after being R&Rd for new calipers and hoses. No reasonable amount of tightening fixed the problem, so I ordered up some Cunifer line and set to making a replacement.

It's been long time since I made hard lines and mistakes were made.

However the final result was good. The Cunifer copper-nickel line was great to work - as strong as regular steel, rust-free like stainless, but bends pretty easily and cleanly.

[/img]
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

paddygarcia wrote:
… It's been long time since I made hard lines and mistakes were made.

Been there and done that. It is always fun to have a "doh" moment to recall back to.

Thank you for sharing the great memory of your sister. I think the Eurovans are all about the stories and memories that you create. Now you continue the tradition!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

I put a driveshaft bearing in upside down on an E83 last week

Ego damage substantial
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What's the rest of the undercarriage look like? That's a whole lot of rot on that bumper support. EVs don't rust out here, so I'm shocked to see that kind of disintegration.

They do around here Zeit. As I found out when I hooked on the tow loop trying to retrieve this one that had gone over a bank (that is a story I may have told here before) Laughing

From Bad...to Worse.

Tow loop and complete bumper assembly still attached to tow strap.

RonC
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:

From Bad...to Worse.

Tow loop and complete bumper assembly still attached to tow strap.

Ouch!

Continuing to distract myself in lockdown, I really don't like wheel bolts so away they go in favor of 034 Motorsports studs and lug nuts. Using the standard late EV alloy wheel there's about 4-5mm of thread left when using the 2.5" studs. At some point I'll measure carefully and see if there's a closed lug nut that fits properly and keeps the exposed threads clean.

paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Quite the wait due to Covid, but thanks to Rob M for my precious...

paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Well, that's taken a while but we're back to van things. The Volvo in the background was supposed to be a quick covid project with my dad, but turned out to need an engine rebuild in addition to floors. That was kinda fun, as my first big car project was a Volvo B20 rebuild. And also an auto to manual swap, so it's full circle time.

With the nose opened up we can start to figure things out. I want to replace the cooling hoses while I'm in here. Also the water distributing crack pipe. There's been small oil leak for years back up by the pipe, which I think is a valve cover gasket but more will be clear with stuff removed.

Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

paddygarcia wrote:
Well, that's taken a while but we're back to van things. The Volvo in the background was supposed to be a quick covid project with my dad, but turned out to need an engine rebuild in addition to floors. That was kinda fun, as my first big car project was a Volvo B20 rebuild. And also an auto to manual swap, so it's full circle time.

In addition to the 1993 Weekender I acquired towards the end of this summer, I have had a couple vintage Volvo "Covid" Projects. First one was a 1963 544S I came across for sale in a field while taking back roads during the drive to Reno to visit my brother. The other two were a dormant 1967 122S Wagon and a 1967 122S Sedan with a seized engine. Sold the 544 after getting it up running and the 122 wagon has gone off to a friend of mine. The 122S sedan needs a few more things and it will be going up for sale soon.

My 1993 Weekender is a similar state with the grill off. Addressing a fair amount of deferred maintenance/repairs which I have been documenting in another topic/thread. Keep finding myself in the situation of fixing one thing and notice something else needing repair or replacement. My to-do list doesn't ever seem to be diminishing, almost getting longer. This is why a lot of shops will not touch cars from the previous century, I'm sure some has come up with a term or phrase about this situation ala "Sisyphus Syndrome".

The 1967 122S Sedan and Weekender from yesterday afternoon:

Documentation of the first month its ownership and the work done to it.

Link

paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Good day, fellow Pegamoosian! Nice Amazon, nice work. Sysiphean is a good way to describe things. I've gotten better at minimizing my Shipwright's Disease tendencies ("while you're in there"), but when the newest car in the family is a 2005 something's always breaking. At least one of them is a Toyota so we can usually get around.

Speaking of Shipwright's Disease, today was spent cataloging and trying to source timing chain and hoses. Good golly are hoses for this thing expensive. But the MO for this whole job is to make as reliable an adventuremobile as reasonably possible and nobody likes losing a hard-to-find rad hose some Friday night in East Underwear South Dakota. The manual trans hoses seem to still be available in Europe and look like a clean way to delete the trans cooler since I'll be replacing hoses anyway.
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Not looking too bad for 145k miles. My sister was fanatical about maintenance, and I guess the PO was as careful as he said he was.

paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Iglaaq, the 2002 MV Weekender Reply with quote

Moving along! Pulled the trigger on a bunch of parts, including AC compressor to rad hoses, thermostat housing & crackpipe, timing chain replacement bits, and CV joints. Ouch, but much better now than on the road.

My trans swap kit came from Rob/vwjunkie, and now that I'm cleaning and inventorying I found that a few parts were missing. It's been sitting in my garage for a couple of years, but Rob was great about sourcing the last bits, which should be on the way soon. Rob included new outer CV joints and used inners, as agreed. The inners on the MT axles had some pitting damage. New ones are hard to find right now (at non-stupid $), though. I could use the ones off the AT axles, but then realized they look a lot like the ones I repacked on my 911. Some catalog searching says very similar: 108mm, 28 spline axles. Eurovan are 31.5mm thick, 993 32mm, so they'd barely move the axle out. At $75 each for good GKN/Loebros (GKN 302303) I took a chance. The Porsche unit doesn't have space for the inside gasket, so will need a little schmear of Curil-T. Also, the inner race of the Porsche unit is about 4mm shorter than the Eurovan part. So we'll see but I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: