Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What rear seats do l have & does it matter?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

Getting ready to order seat covers(custom) from Sewfine for my wifes 13W deluxe. The fronts are the original 2/3 seats. However the rears are Craigslist bargains that I think??? came from 2 different Baywindows. Can anyone tell from these pics the yr ranges of Baywindows or perhaps Splitty that I need to specify b4 I order?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Her birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and depending on Sewfines turnaround time I suspect I will miss that day. However getting it right and a little late will be better than getting the wrong none returnable custom seat covers on time.
Thanks

Last edited by DerrickfromNC1 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

Yes seat covers will matter on the year. Bay window rear seats are more narrow than split and middle seats are way different than split. Both of your rear seats look 69-71 style. 68 middle looks the same except the armrest mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

call sewfine and talk to them. send them an email with pics while you are on the phone with them
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Yes seat covers will matter on the year. Bay window rear seats are more narrow than split and middle seats are way different than split. Both of your rear seats look 69-71 style. 68 middle looks the same except the armrest mount.

As you can see from the following pic the rear seat is narrow! Had to add some washers to the L-bracket.

Thanks
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

The original seat covers for the rear are basically intact with just a few small tears. Rather than rip them out has anyone installed Sewfine covers over original upholstery?

Is it too tight?
Is the finished product distorted?

If it is suggested that I need to remove the original covers what do you think of reusing the original horsehair? I’m sure it’s nice but their high density foam adds about $400 to the cost of full seat cover replacement.

Are there alternatives to using the Sewfine replacement foam padding?

Thanks,
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

I had Sewfine cover the seats in my deluxe. I used a baywindow seat just like yours, as that's what I had and could afford. Sewfine removed the baywindow rear handle and ashtray, and covered the elbow rest with vinyl to emulate the color matched ones from a split.
They did as good a job as you can do, but the seat bottoms, especially, are much thicker than split seats, and there are no top mounted grab handles. I was never that happy with the seat, but that wasn't Sewfine's fault.

I should add that this work was done nearly 20 years ago. I've seen the bus in the last three years, and the interior still looks spectacular. Sewfine did a great job, and their door cards never warped a millimeter, unlike the Wolfsburg West cards they were selling at the time.

The $400 for foam padding sounds expensive. Are they doing the recovering, or just providing the materials?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

They are providing just materials. If you look at their online catalog the foam is priced for each seat bottom and each seat back. If I’m looking at it right at a price of about $50/piece that comes to about $400.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What rear seats do l have & does it matter? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
They are providing just materials. If you look at their online catalog the foam is priced for each seat bottom and each seat back. If I’m looking at it right at a price of about $50/piece that comes to about $400.

I’d talk to them. Sometimes when a company sells both pads and upholstery the upholstery is sewn with their pads in mind not factory pads or someone else’s pads.
I usually buy TMI stuff from Wolfsburgwest and their upholstery for buses and bugs works fine for bugs and buses, but TMI seat covers for Ghias only fits right on TMIs foam seat pads.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: