Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Just took my '61 out to OCTO for its maiden voyage. Drove like a dream and all seemed well.

As I was leaving I could hear the rear brake(s) dragging but couldn't tell if it was driver or passenger side at the time. The sketchy part is the brake pedal would almost go to the floor unless I gave it a quick pump first. Mind you the brakes worked fine on the drive down which was about 30 miles or so. I checked for leaks but didn't find any so I just drove home like a grandma and kept a ton of space between me and the cars in front of me.

Here's the brake system specs

Chinese dual circuit master
Rebuilt German wheel cylinders with German kits from Bustoration
New Brazilian rear wheel cylinders
New pads
New brazilian rear soft lines
New German front soft lines
New brake springs on all 4 corners.
OG hard lines cleaned up and inspected. No evidence of leakes or corrosion.
Brake shoes are adjusted and slightly drag on all 4 corners (before the drive out to OCTO).

Bus is slammed so I have the front soft lines going to the lower wheel cylinders instead of up top. I've run this style setup for 20 years with no issues.

According to Wolfsburg West, the later dual circuit master needs to be "power bled". I bench bled the master looping the front and rear circuits back to the reservior until there were no more bubbles.

I'm about to dive back into the system tomorrow to see whats up. Any suggestions on where to look for air besides just bleeding over and over? I suspect either trapped air or a bad seal allowing fluid to bypass it.

Thanks for the help, NAES
SBS #00
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Hi NAES,

to me it sounds like your master is gone.
In general it’s always best advice to „power bleed“ the system or however one calls it.
Personally, I always do that the old-school way, which worked fine for me in all the years. Doing this you’ll need to be cautious though: If it’s a used master avoid pressing the pedal all the way down. The piston with its gaskets could travel in an area where the cylinder already has some corrosion resulting in destroying the gaskets.

For the breaks: I would never rely on no-name products. Get yourself an ATE master. It might be made in Brazil or even in China nowadays, but still it’s a quality product the company’s reputation depends on.

Start rear right, rear left, front right, front left (for LHD vehicles).

Last edited by Tizian on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

I am going to vote blown master cylinder. I'm not anti no name masters but it sounds to me like this one didn't hold up.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

I agree with the power bleeding for the dual master cylinder. I first tried the "foot-down-on-the-pedal" bleeding method, but then still air was trapped at the end of my lines for some reason. After pressurizing the brake fluid reservoir, all of the air was finally bleeding out and the brakes turned out fine.

Best of luck, I know how frustrating it can be Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Let us know what you discovered...good luck..
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Check that the shoes did not re center on the drive throwing the adjustment off.

Check that you have the pushrod to master play set correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Used a Phoenix injector to reverse bleed the system with no change. I also readjusted the pads which were all a little loose, probably from bedding in a little bit. I like all 4 corners to drag just a touch. Pedal push rod is adjusted properly so I guess that leaves me with the Master Cylinder.

Hopefully I can get one installed before Prado on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

NAES
SBS #00
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

I've done two dual circuit MC conversions and haven't had to "power bleed" either. Just standard bleeding in this order: RR, LR, RF, LF. Worked just fine.

YMMV
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Cool man, thats my usual method as well. I'll bench bleed the new one like normal and install it tomorrow.

I'll report back.
SBS #00
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I've done two dual circuit MC conversions and haven't had to "power bleed" either. Just standard bleeding in this order: RR, LR, RF, LF. Worked just fine.

YMMV

I'm doing this now, and have seen some advice that says to bleed the fronts first? I did the fronts first on mine and it seemed to work, setting aside the leak I found...

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Culito wrote:

YMMV

I'm doing this now, and have seen some advice that says to bleed the fronts first? I did the fronts first on mine and it seemed to work, setting aside the leak I found...

Standard bleeding procedure is always start with farthest wheel from master cylinder first. Bench bleeding is helpful but not necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Yeah, I seem to remember similar advice on dual circuit brake systems that you do the fronts first then the backs? Not sure why...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember similar advice on dual circuit brake systems that you do the fronts first then the backs? Not sure why...

Bill

I think it had to do with the fact that the fronts are usually on the part of the M/C furthest from the plunger, so it's good to get those bled first, then do the closer-to-the-plunger circuit, which goes to the back?

My system was so empty, I don't think it even mattered.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

OK so I'm back at it with this brake issue.

I replaced the Master Cylinder with a new Brazilian unit.

Brake pads are adjusted with slight drag on all 4 corners.

They've been bled multiple times so I'm confident there isn't air in the system.

The problem is that I have pedal pressure while the bus is sitting parked. Once I start driving the pedal drops about 1/3 depth requiring me to pump the pedal once or twice to get enough pedal to "safely" stop.

To recap, the Master is new
pads are new
wheel cylinders up front are rebuilt
rears are new Brazilian
New soft lines
No leaks found anywhere.
Fluid level stays the same.

It almost feels like I should have a residual valve somewhere in the systems. If I remember correctly, there is no residual valve in the Master Cylinder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NAES
SBS #00
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

FWIW,
on single circuit the advice is bleed rears first, then front.
with dual, bleed fronts first, then rears.

When I have the whole system open, often it helps to go back and bleed it again the next day. Seems hard to get the last bubbles out.

I am not sure what power bleeding is, never bothered with it. I don't think it is needed. Is that another term for bench bleeding?

Once met a problem on someone else's '65 bus, which had recently had all new brakes installed. It came to me cause they lost the clutch, right as we were going to a show weekend. Lent them my 65 to go to the show that weekend, and they were amazed how good the brakes were. My 65 had good condition stock 65 bus brakes.

Turned out they had a faulty master cylinder. It had been recently purchased, but was evidently not good.
Brake going down half way sounds like one half of a dual circuit MC is iffy.
That's my 2 cents.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

If your new one has a bolt head on top of the MC you have to crack that to bleed out air. Make sure there’s some pressure on the pedal and left that way till you tighten.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Vanell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

You say your bus is slammed?, maybe your master cylinder reservoir is lower than a wheel cylinder, mount a bay window reservoir up higher and I bet your problem goes away, greetings from Australia, Ian
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Without rereading are you adjusting the rears with the E-brake fully OFF?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

Ok. Crack the little upper bolt on the master.

Bus is on a lift when bleeding so cylinders are down low(ish)

E-brake is off.

Bleed the fronts first.

Thanks for the added tips everyone!

NAES
SBS #00
Vanell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where oh where is the trapped air? (Brakes) Reply with quote

It’s got nothing to do with the bleeding process, when your master cylinder reservoir is lower than your wheel cylinder it will suck air in through the cap when you are driving,it’s not a sealed system and the cap breathes, that’s why you have shit brakes, just mount the reservoir inside the cabin just like a bay window is, I usually put it in the spare wheel area, as high as you can, regards Ian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: