Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Westy, knob on sliding door
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
exoticdvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

New 78 Westy owner, learning about all the obscure buttons and knick-knacks in our bus...

What's this doo-dad on the sliding door? (orange arrow pointing at mystery knob)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gutted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe someone asked this yesterday. There should be a second handle at the back of the door to help close it from the inside without slamming the door.
exoticdvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any companies selling this inside sliding door handle?
Anyone have any photos of what it's supposed to look like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the front handle but it does not move. It is a helper handle.

Remove the screw from what you have left and sh!tcan the piece on the square shaft. It was part of the old handle.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211843642A
exoticdvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks Karl!
exoticdvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried removing that metal knobby part of the old sliding door upper right handle bracket, and I busted the entire bracket. The rectangular piece (that the handle fits into) broke off the rest of the bracket. Anyone know where I can buy this small metal bracket that is bolted on to the door and holds the handle in this location? (see my original pic with arrow). Thanks.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

exoticdvm wrote:
So I tried removing that metal knobby part of the old sliding door upper right handle bracket, and I busted the entire bracket. The rectangular piece (that the handle fits into) broke off the rest of the bracket. Anyone know where I can buy this small metal bracket that is bolted on to the door and holds the handle in this location? (see my original pic with arrow). Thanks.

I have yet to see one on a British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2 and I don't think they were especially common in North America!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat May 24, 2008 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 74 Westfalia has one that i want to put a handle on.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
my 74 Westfalia has one that i want to put a handle on.

From what I know of those helper-handle brackets, the square post with the M5 pre-threaded hole, is angled slightly towards either the front or the rear of the sliding door. Which direction of tilt is the correct one?

To which 1968~79 VW Type 2 models and model years, were these helper handles fitted and in which countries? From what I have read, they seem to be associated with Westfalia campervans, but noting that they imcluded in the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche, I wonder whether they might have featured on other models as well!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is tilted, it is bent. New, it was straight. I will dig out an extra and take a pic of it..... Ok, found one:

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by hazetguy on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one in a yard a (long) while back. It had 2 small black plastic bolthead covers also, VW I think. I broke a few of the plastic interior handles in the helper position before I switched to the Vanagon black metal sliding door handle which fits perfectly and seems to last forever. It also has a slight articulation that helps with closure.

Just a regular guy
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the same handle that WolfsburgWest sells?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I found one in a yard a (long) while back. It had 2 small black plastic bolthead covers also, VW I think. I broke a few of the plastic interior handles in the helper position before I switched to the Vanagon black metal sliding door handle which fits perfectly and seems to last forever. It also has a slight articulation that helps with closure.

If they are that fragile, I think I shall just stick with my home-made pull-close strap. Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

I think the reason that my OG handles were breaking is because they were used units that had some small cracks in the plastic already. Back then, I was getting most of my spare parts from the wrecking yards as the busses were plentiful there in southern California in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The rear handle also experiences a very different stress in the rear closing assist position compared to the front opener. In the front it is really a lateral pull along the axis of rotation of the latch mechanism. In the rear, the position is fixed and the forces are inward, stressing the structural design of the metal insert as it is cast into the plastic handle. Any weakness and its all over. I have also, at one time, broken off one of the square studs on the rear handle mount, but haven't had any issues with it for many years now.

We were actually making a cast aluminum handle in the early 1990s to use in this position until I realized that the black metal T3 handle was an easy swap. That ended that production idea. The prototypes were promising tho. No pics, sorry.

Just a regular guy
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

I just ordered one of these kits from www.buttysbits.com for my '72:

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product=bb-155-westfalia-sliding-door-helper

Q: If I close the door to install this, will the door stay in place when I remove the two bolts?
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

Nigel has the set-up. If you place a plastic handle for the helper position it’ll never crack unless you use it.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

BruceJ wrote:
Q: If I close the door to install this, will the door stay in place when I remove the two bolts?

Yes, but I would make sure the rear 2 are properly tight before removing the fronts, they should hold adequately to prevent it moving out of adjustment.

Pic from Colin's refresh thread:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
BruceJ wrote:

Yes, but I would make sure the rear 2 are properly tight before removing the fronts, they should hold adequately to prevent it moving out of adjustment.

Pic from Colin's refresh thread:

Once one has checked the tightness of the rear-most pair of M6 bolts, fully close & lock the sliding door, before removing the front-most pair of M6 bolts to retro-fit the pull-close handle or strap. By doing this, the sliding door is also supported by the locks rather than solely by the sliding hinge mechanism.

Nigel A. Skeet

BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy, knob on sliding door Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! And yes, it would not surprise me if the plastic handle breaks--that's what plastic seems to do best--but I have an extra handle laying around anyway. If (when) it does break, I might try a more creative solution--spigot handle, leather strap, who knows?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: