Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throw out bearing clip install?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there some little trick to easily install the heavy duty ones on the Right?
I'm switching to them from the original style on left( easier to safety wire so they don't fall out)
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

I got mine in by inserting the short end into the hole and wedging the the other end against the edge of the clutch release fork piece. When it was in this position, I used a flat screwdriver to push the curved end behind and around the fork. It took a few attempts since it wants to not stay in place while you are positioning it with the screwdriver.
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

Behind and around? My forks have a hole in them for the clips
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

I don't remember any holes in the operating shaft forks. I think there is an indentation that the curved end of the clip rides in. Does it look like this?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113141701C
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

Me and buddy just put new throw out bearing in '59 tonite. The bearing has 'ears' that rest in semi-circular cut outs in the fork mounted on the tranny. The 'ears' have a hole at their ends to receive the clips. Hold the bearing in place while inserting the clips. You will have to spring the other end of the clip over and behind the fork using a flat screw driver.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

Quote:
Hold the bearing in place while inserting the clips.

The first clip is easy. Tilt the clip that's already on the fork and slide the bearing ear hole onto the straight part of the clip and press the other side down into the 'cradle' of the other side fork. Half way there. Insert the straight part of the other clip in the bearing ear hole. Grab the hanging clip on both sides with pliers and rotate upwards until in 'clicks' into place.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:

The first clip is easy. Tilt the clip that's already on the fork and slide the bearing ear hole onto the straight part of the clip and press the other side down into the 'cradle' of the other side fork. Half way there. Insert the straight part of the other clip in the bearing ear hole. Grab the hanging clip on both sides with pliers and rotate upwards until in 'clicks' into place.

I just installed a new throwout bearing a few months ago on my 1970, was pretty straightforward.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tnchines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

My arms have holes in them like the link above and I realize the straight end goes in the holes of the throwout bearing. Should the bent end go in the holes in the arms or behind?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

Like this. But I ended up deciding not to use the safety wire, cut that off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cm2469
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:

After struggling to get my heavy duty clips installed. I read this reply carefully. First clip is easy as you say. With the second clip, I installed the straight end into the bearing hole with the bent part facing towards me at the back of the car. Then using pliers, I rotated the clip round to the back of the fork, and it just clicked into place first time. It really was that easy, as you said it would be. Thank you for the advice,!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw out bearing clip install? Reply with quote

ive found snap ring pliers help a bunch
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: