Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Wheel well rust repair panels
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Rear Wheel well rust repair panels Reply with quote

I am looking for the small lower outer rust repair panels for the rear wheel well area of a late bus. They supposedly go between the body seams and the wheel well. Those made by Klokkerholm appear to be the only ones available here in Canada. No Autocraft or KlassicFab. I am not looking for the large one piece panels.

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed these specific panels. How was the fit? My experience with Klokkerholm has not been great on other vws.

Thoughts and comments.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel well rust repair panels Reply with quote

assume you mean both front and behind the wheel arch. i just bought the whole panel ($40), and then cut off what I needed for that rear arch area. it was cheap enough to buy the whole thing and I will use the front end to do the same. the actual arch is solid, so no need to replace it. it also gives me a nice big piece of leftover, flat, straight metal, to cut into any kind of repair pueces I need.

it is indeed Klokkerholm, but since the curve is not very complex, had little trouble making it fit as needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit:

Current BD prices.

As you can see, they do offer just the corner at small money. I did not see the forward piece listed seperately, but even if it was $15 as well for that one, for another $10, you get the whole panel.

Where it says its european made=Klokkerholm

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson

Last edited by Jetfxr69 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel well rust repair panels Reply with quote

Those panels are $100+ Canadian here and depending where you buy them, shipping may be extra and for us here in BC add 12% sales tax.

Good to know that the fit is not too bad. The Klokkerholm beetle ones I bought bordered on junk. At one point I made some of what I needed. Just less frustration and time.

I just need to get at this as the van is pretty much rust free except for a few small spots. It's 42nd birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel well rust repair panels Reply with quote

its $100 to get your bus tightened up. Bite the bullet and do it. When the work is done, and the rot is gone, your standing value will be 10x what that panel cost you. And even if you dont care about the value as much ( like me), its nice to look down on it and know its better than it was.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: