Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Has anyone here tried charging a Bluetti AC50s or similar model off the 12v sockets in the van? I’m seein about 12.8 volts at my sockets when the van is running but if I plug in the Bluetti to charge it, it will start and the input wattage starts climbing and when it gets near maybe 60-70 watts it cuts out and starts over.

Unit charges wonderfully if I plug it into a socket in my ‘16 GTi. Unit says it will charge with anywhere between 12-40 volts. Curious if the 12v sockets in the ‘01 MV just aren’t capable of sending enough juice to this unit. I want to be charging it while driving so when we get to camp it’s still at 100% to run the 12v alpicool fridge for the night and then I have solar panels to keep it charged when camping.

Also wish that any of the 4 12v sockets in these vans were switched with ignition.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
Has anyone here tried charging a Bluetti AC50s or similar model off the 12v sockets in the van? I’m seein about 12.8 volts at my sockets when the van is running but if I plug in the Bluetti to charge it, it will start and the input wattage starts climbing and when it gets near maybe 60-70 watts it cuts out and starts over.

Unit charges wonderfully if I plug it into a socket in my ‘16 GTi. Unit says it will charge with anywhere between 12-40 volts. Curious if the 12v sockets in the ‘01 MV just aren’t capable of sending enough juice to this unit. I want to be charging it while driving so when we get to camp it’s still at 100% to run the 12v alpicool fridge for the night and then I have solar panels to keep it charged when camping.

Also wish that any of the 4 12v sockets in these vans were switched with ignition.

12.8 when running? Idling or when driving. IT should read closer to 14 volts. Mine will give about 13.8. But at idle i only get about 12.5, which is too low. I think my voltage regulator might have issues. But wonder if it is just something that these vans do.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Idling. I haven’t had a chance to test while driving. I’m guessing these outlets weren’t wired incredibly well either way and you end up with a bunch of voltage drop. I should look up the schematics on them.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

I use a cig lighter socket voltmeter for a a quick reference. I have found that they give a decent representation of the systems voltage. At the most there is a 0.2 volt drop between what I test at the battery vs what I see at the socket.

When I first start the van I get good voltage at the socket at idle. But once full warmed idle produces barely adequate voltage.
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

I was curious what a Bluetti AC50s was, so I looked it up. Seems like a great idea.

According to the online literature, "12 v car can only recharge PPS to about 40%". It also states that that would take, "6-6.5 Hrs".

In another spot on the same page it states, "Car Charge Recharge takes 15 hours (via 12V adapter)".

From reading the page, charging via solar at higher voltages or charging via 110 volt AC seem to be the manufacture's recommended methods, with 12 volt car charging being perhaps a back-up system.

There is at least one other reference to 12 volt charging that differs with both the claims quoted above, but I think this latter claim is a typo, but I can't be sure.

The error and contradictions about car charging time frames leave me questioning the accuracy of anything the vendor claims, not to mention the product quality - but that's my paranoia and it's for me to cope with that. I hope the product works out for you and you can find a way to charge it efficiently and conveniently.

Here' the page I am referencing:

https://ekalin.com/products/power-station-bluetti-...gI0ZvD_BwE
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

It’s actually most efficient on DC charging. Either solar or 12v from a vehicle socket. AC charging with the included inverter brick only gives the unit about 80-90 watts of input. The car DC charging goes to about 105 +\- and the 120 solar panels in direct sun give even slightly over 120 watts of input.

I messed around with the unit driving last night and once I was warmed up and rolling I was able to get 13.5 out of the dash socket and the unit started charging nice and smoothly. Headed to Maine this from ct tonight for the weekend. Let’s see how the unit does keeping my alpicool fridge running the whole time.
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
It’s actually most efficient on DC charging. Either solar or 12v from a vehicle socket. ...

Great. Glad it's working. You'll have a several hours of charging on the road. Have a good trip and let us know how the Bluetti performed.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

I do exactly what you’re talking about with my EcoFlow Delta 1300 lithium battery bank I also have the smaller EcoFlow R600 pro. I did have a Bluetti AC 200 but I just sold it two days ago,…. too big and heavy. I plug my Iceco fridge freezer into the eco-flow then plug the eco-flow into my 12 V power port under my pop-up table and everything is happy when I get to my camp location. the eco-flow is still at 100% my fridge is nice and cold. as soon as I stop to camp I unplug from the vans 12 V power port and I get three or four days of refrigerator operation off the Delta 1300 if I don’t deploy my solar panels which I’ve actually yet to ever use
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Exactly what I did this weekend. 5 hour drive to Maine. Did the same thing. Kept the fridge running all weekend. Smaller battery unit though. Ran just great. We used the battery to power a few other things too. Awning light Saturday night. Baby monitor for the kiddos nap. Still had 20-30% battery Sunday night when we got home. Three the solar panels out for a few hours in a less than ideal spot just for the hell of it to see what it would do. It was only charging like 20watts or so at best. 120 panel but sun wasn’t great or at the right angle. Wasn’t relying on it. Just a kinda lets see it’s potential situation. Very happy with the overall setup and performance.

Where do you keep the fridge and battery setup in yours?
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
Exactly what I did this weekend. 5 hour drive to Maine. Did the same thing. Kept the fridge running all weekend. Smaller battery unit though. Ran just great. We used the battery to power a few other things too. Awning light Saturday night. Baby monitor for the kiddos nap. Still had 20-30% battery Sunday night when we got home. Three the solar panels out for a few hours in a less than ideal spot just for the hell of it to see what it would do. It was only charging like 20watts or so at best. 120 panel but sun wasn’t great or at the right angle. Wasn’t relying on it. Just a kinda lets see it’s potential situation. Very happy with the overall setup and performance.

Where do you keep the fridge and battery setup in yours?

Sorry, just now seeing your question on Fridge and battery location. I am in the midst of changing that in the next few days. I had been running the fridge behind the drivers seat on the floor, with the Delta next to it, roughly in the center of the van's width. I had a friend build me a platform for the fridge so that I could put my Delta and Microwave under the Fridge,...freeing up floor space,....important when the back seat is in the bed mode at night. I also just converted my rear power ports to "Switched" last week. I forgot to unplug the battery bank from the power port a couple times and killed my starting battery,...no longer an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

What did you do to “switch” the rear power ports. That’s on my list of things to do.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
What did you do to “switch” the rear power ports. That’s on my list of things to do.

Scroll down topics to "How I converted my rear 12v power ports to switched"
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a Bluetti power station off 12v outlets in van Reply with quote

Did you find it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: