Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bug Jack
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

Looking for the best option for a jack. I’ve seen a lot of people use the farm hi lift jacks, but they are large and a little heavy. A lot of people don’t seem to like a scissor jacks. Everything I do on my car seems to be adding weight, so I am trying to be a little more conscious. Any thoughts?
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

I use a harbor freight trailer tongue jack. I welded a plate to the tube to go under whatever I’m trying to lift and took the crank handle off. I welded a nut to the center shaft so I can hit it with my impact gun. It’s compact and not too heavy. Mind you, it’s not safe to work under and mainly for doing a quick tire change out on the trail. If I was in need of a more extensive repair I would block the car or use a different jack.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
I use a harbor freight trailer tongue jack. I welded a plate to the tube to go under whatever I’m trying to lift and took the crank handle off. I welded a nut to the center shaft so I can hit it with my impact gun. It’s compact and not too heavy. Mind you, it’s not safe to work under and mainly for doing a quick tire change out on the trail. If I was in need of a more extensive repair I would block the car or use a different jack.

This is interesting. I too am looking to get something a little better than the small hydraulic jack i carry . And the hi lift jacks seem to come in at about 28lbs which seem like a lot.

I like this idea though. Did you weld the lifting plate at the bottom of the upper sleeve? And do you think it would work fine using the handle ? cause I usually don’t carry my impact gun with me say that jack is about 13 lbs which seems reasonable. Did you also use a flat plate instead of the wheel?

Thinking about this reminded me that my vw bus stock jack might actually work well but I don’t want to steal that from that project but maybe I can find another one. It’s is compact and not too heavy. I will have to take a closer look and see if it would work on my baja. Now I’m thinking maybe a stock bug factory jack may work with a couple modifications but I can’t even remember the last time I saw one
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

You will luv that high lift when you get high centered. Jack it up, and push it over to high ground. Or as a make shift winch.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

I just modified a stock VW jack, I cut the base off and welded in a extension so it would lift the car high enough.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and pics. I like the trailer jack idea. Baja5, do you think you could snap a pic?

I just went and took the scissor jack from my F150 as a comparison. It raises up to about 17.5" and weights 5 lbs. To use it in the baja I would have to make a cradle, a larger base plate, and weld on a 19mm nut to use the impact. If I go with the scissor jack idea I prefer to have a factory jack, not an Amazon china jack that strips the threads.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

I use a jack from a 1970s Ford passenger car. Most any Detroit iron of the 1950s through 1980s era had a lightweight jack that can easily be modified to work for a Baja Bug.

A High Lift farm jack IS VERY HEAVY for a Bug. Great for a Jeep or heavier 4x4, but big and heavy for a Bug or buggy.

This picture shows mine mounted inside my Baja Bug.

I modified the body by welding a piece of 1.5" exhaust tube cut in 1/2 to fit under the bumper tube.

It had a matching hole a little over 1/2" through the upright and through the jack body. I used that to hold it on a mount made of a 1/2" bolt, with a nut welded to a washer with a pair of 1/4" rod handles to make a large wing nut to hold it on. The end of the upright tube fits onto a piece of 1/2" rod welded to the cage with a large washer for a stop and a shock absorber rubber cut to fit the jack upright tube.

A tire iron stuck in the end of the jack and it's ready to go.

Some offroad racers weld a piece of plate on for a base. Mine came with a really large stamped steel base (great for sandy or otherwise soft ground) that I carry under the right seat.

I'll check if you can buy a jack like that from Amazon or someplace like that.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

Here's a guy on eBay that's pretty proud of his, even though he's selling the pair with no bases or tire irons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294189713638?chn=ps&n...X6EALw_wcB

Other folks are wanting as much as $150 each!!! + huge money for shipping.

Nothing on Amazon except for lots of farm jacks, including a 1/10 scale one for Radio Control rock crawlers.

Probably best to check wrecking yards and yard sales. Guys in the rust belt might be at a disadvantage for this.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

Here are a couple pics of mine, cheap and easy but like I said, I wouldn’t use it for much more than changing a tire unless it was an emergency.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

These are some great ideas. And dusty reminded me that I have had an old American car jack and they are much lighter than the hi lifts. The one that I had failed and became or non functional and I couldn’t fix the latching mechanism. . I think I may try to find another one of those. But looks like I have options.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
A High Lift farm jack IS VERY HEAVY for a Bug.

If you have to ask if you need a Hi Lift Jack for baja bug, do NOT buy one. A well used bottle jack is enough.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
A High Lift farm jack IS VERY HEAVY for a Bug.

If you have to ask if you need a Hi Lift Jack for baja bug, do NOT buy one. A well used bottle jack is enough.

I have a well used bottle jack and you are correct it is enough to lift a bug. But under typical situations when a jack is needed they underperform. What I mean is usually your in the mud, or in a ditch, or in a sand wash out , on a hill, or even buried in the dirt, mud , sand. The bottle jack won’t go low enough or get you high enough to get you out. Or even be able get in the proper position to lift safely. It works well if you get a standard flat on a flat road but usually that is not the case.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

I have nothing against scissor jacks. They can be had from the junkyard for very cheap, just go in and pick an appropriate sized car and check the trunk. I got a tiny one for my lowered bug and a bigger one for my bigger bug. It might be hard to find one tall enough for a lifted baja, but you can weld whatever you want to it to get the height you need.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
I have nothing against scissor jacks. They can be had from the junkyard for very cheap, just go in and pick an appropriate sized car and check the trunk. I got a tiny one for my lowered bug and a bigger one for my bigger bug. It might be hard to find one tall enough for a lifted baja, but you can weld whatever you want to it to get the height you need.

I know guys that carry scissor jacks. Basically trailer stab jacks from HF. They work well and aren’t all that heavy. And the he larger ones lift quite a bit.
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug Jack Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input. Good discussion. I am leaning toward the bumper jack. Found one on craigslist for $10 that I'll pick-up this weekend. Just needs to be cleaned up. When working on my friend's 5/16 a few days ago I checked out his bumper jack. His is the same, from a 70's car. Surprisingly light with a large base.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: