Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thedavevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The green ecu pipe is the only pipe I couldn't really check for leaks because of how it runs with the loom, other than it not connected is there anything specific I'm looking for with the map? Any way to test it etc? If I can't see an issue is it a new ecu or can that part be replaced?
Thank you
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Thedavevw wrote:
Hi everyone, I have a 97 mexi bug and need a new ignition transformer, can I use a standard round coil that the non fi bugs use? I'm not that familiar with coils so not sure if they do the same job

This is the one you should use, they were commonly used on the water-cooled cars so they are readily available.

I ordered a cheap one and it only lasted a year or so, I recommend ordering a better quality one

Genuine VW e-coil, 10 years in service in my 1994 Sedan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thedavevw wrote:
The green ecu pipe is the only pipe I couldn't really check for leaks because of how it runs with the loom, other than it not connected is there anything specific I'm looking for with the map? Any way to test it etc? If I can't see an issue is it a new ecu or can that part be replaced?
Thank you

So, you check for vacuum leaks as you would do with e.g. a distributor advance capsule:

disconnect the hose at the manifold side and suck on the unplugged end trying to stick your tongue to the hose to see if it holds vacuum. If it does, you have no further tests to do.

if it doesn't hold vacuum, repeat test at each connection (engine compartment & ECU box under the back seat)

All the hoses including the rubber one inside the ECU can be replaced, if the MAP nipple (inside the ECU) is broken you can try epoxying it, but if the sensor diaphragm is broken or the sensor itself is bad you'll need a new one, it is not normally considered a user-serviceable part but if you can do electronics board repairs you can try finding a replacement and soldering it yourself.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Thedavevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Thedavevw wrote:
Thank you

So, you check for vacuum leaks as you would do with e.g. a distributor advance capsule:

disconnect the hose at the manifold side and suck on the unplugged end trying to stick your tongue to the hose to see if it holds vacuum. If it does, you have no further tests to do.

if it doesn't hold vacuum, repeat test at each connection (engine compartment & ECU box under the back seat)

All the hoses including the rubber one inside the ECU can be replaced, if the MAP nipple (inside the ECU) is broken you can try epoxying it, but if the sensor diaphragm is broken or the sensor itself is bad you'll need a new one, it is not normally considered a user-serviceable part but if you can do electronics board repairs you can try finding a replacement and soldering it yourself.

Ok did not think of trying that, anyway it holds vacuum fine so that's ok as far as I can tell. Currently working on getting the exhaust off so I can get to the o2 sensor to replace that but somehow lost every 13mm spanner I own so giving up for the day lol
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Now on National Beetle Day do we have technically 4 days May 5th for the Liberation of Pueblo from the French... Invention Day June 22nd and Last build Day July 30 th... and to push in the Herbie family 31st for Buddy Hackett...??? just asking?
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

need a cert for your mexi? https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/.../volkswagen...
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

link doesn't work?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
link doesn't work?
bummer sorry it was copied from another page
try this
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ah ok it's the usual one. Thank you Smile
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
nagerjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Feeling cool hanging out with my older siblings. I'm in red.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ok super brains looking for a sub for a Tomoco T15592 injector only one available is from Mexico....Anybody know off a suitable replacement stateside?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
ok super brains looking for a sub for a Tomoco T15592 injector only one available is from Mexico....Anybody know off a suitable replacement stateside?

Is that for a Mexican Beetle, VW number is BAA906031. Maybe the same as 037906031 (Golf)?, maybe worth some research.

They look like the same physical dimensions:
BAA906031:

037906031:

Here's some info that I found, may or may not help:
http://www.205gti.com/bosch/inject.htm
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Sedan that I bought new and only use occasionally. Reason is the gearing is very low.

Been poking around for the different FF Swing Axle tranny's and thinking this is the way to go.

Anyone installed one of the 3.88 R&P units?

Mofoco has a gear combo I like:

1st gear: 380
2nd gear: 206
3rd gear: 132
4th gear: 0.82
Ring and pinion (final drive ratio): 4.12

I would think the high torque of the 1600i would pull the taller gears more than fine.

Would love to take my Bug on longer trips. Simply not an option with the stock gear ratios.

-Dan
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks to Hopkins I found that DEFUS https://www.df-fuelinjector.com/ has the best price on injectors if needed
"The following is the price
Injector OEM BAA906031 each pcs is $10. $40 for 4 pcs,ship to United States the cost is $ 30. DHL,transportation time about 5-7 days"
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The 4:23 ratio is low, but where I'm at, the highways have a lot of hills.
I ran a taller tire for a while, the car wouldn't maintain highway speeds.
Went back to a standard height tire, I can maintain highway speeds now.
So at this point I will let it run high RPM's, when I update the motor I will change the gear ratio to 4:12, 1776 or 1835 will work good for my area.

Root_Werks wrote:
I have a 2003 Sedan that I bought new and only use occasionally. Reason is the gearing is very low.

Been poking around for the different FF Swing Axle tranny's and thinking this is the way to go.

I would think the high torque of the 1600i would pull the taller gears more than fine.

Would love to take my Bug on longer trips. Simply not an option with the stock gear ratios.

-Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My advice from building and breaking more than a few transmissions. 4.12 is great, 3.88 is stronger. A 4.12 with a stock 0.89 is probably the best combo for city/hwy. But, you can use either. All of the late 70s cars had a 3.88 with a 0.93 4th. Coming from the Mexi box, it would be more noticeable in 1st gear. For the 1st gear, do not use a 3.80. It is an early mainshaft and weak. The later 3.78 is much stronger.

I built a 3.88 Box with a stock gear stack in a '67 that would cruise on the freeway effortlessly, but it had a nice 1776 w/44 Webers.

For my Mexi I plan to swap to a late 3.88 box with a few upgrades.

Root_Werks wrote:

-Dan
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The Mexican Beetles that were imported to Europe (in the mid '90s) had some minor wiring modifications done for the lighting. Specifically the installation of the rear fog light and City lights (and removal of the parking lights).

There was a discussion on this topic early on this thread. Based on that discussion and tracing the wiring on my car I decided to create a schematic of those mods using the Mexican Beetle wiring schematics (found on www,1600i.de) as a template.

I finally got around to finishing them this week, here is the result:

(I created these in Adobe Illustrator, pdf's are available if anyone wants them, drop me a PM).

Note that different importers may have done something different.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hopkins is there a chance of you posting wire diagram for non immobilizer and possible non fuel injected ....just curious...
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Mexican Beetles at work Reply with quote

I took these pictures between 2002-2016 in Mexico City

- TELMEX Beetle
- Home Depot Beetle
- Coca Cola Beetle
- Police Beetle
- Mexican army Beetle
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
Hopkins is there a chance of you posting wire diagram for non immobilizer and possible non fuel injected ....just curious...

Sorry, I don't have those, only the post '93 (fuel injected) that I found on www.1600i.de.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 147 of 192

Jump to: