Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

Is your motor STOCK?

Verify before you order anything.
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

So if I replaced the heads I would need the 85.5mm unless I modify the pistons, etc, correct.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

Are you certain that the PO's did not modify the engine? Did you build the engine?
It appears (from a photo in different thread) that you have an AK block, which would be period correct for a 73, but that doesn't mean that it is original or unmodified.

Because of the age, possible multiple owners, their ideas, parts availability, etc., we as the current owners CANNOT ASSUME that everything is stock when ordering parts. WE MUST VERIFY or work with first hand knowledge.

Before you order any parts, verify what you have and then order.
In your case, verify that you indeed have 85.5 cylinders BEFORE you assume they are. Measure the ID and OD of cylinder. Look at top of piston to verify size (typically stamped)

For example, from an outside visual, the cylinder may appear correct, however, unless it is stamped on the outside of cylinder, how do you KNOW?
The previous owner may have put in a larger set of cylinders, maybe thick wall, and any other possible variation that is available. If thick wall, the head would have been modified to accept.

From observing your photos, there appears to be many NON-STOCK items installed, DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING, otherwise you will open a BIGGER can of worms, and you will spend more time CHASING the right part instead of installing the right part the first time and enjoying your Beetle.

PS. If you do decide to change those heads, DON'T JUNK the old ones. At the very least, offer them to someone who has a bigger current skillset and may be able to repair, OR, hold on to them until your skillset grows to the point of possible repair.
IF you decide to sell the car before that happens, kindly place the heads in the frunk for the next owner. Very Happy

Good Luck Popcorn
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

Thank You
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

How about these:

https://www.amazon.com/IAP-Performance-043101355CK-Complete-Cylinder/dp/B0150I5D6W
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

As OTTO 1303 said, check to see what is in your engine now, you so you know what you need to buy rather than just buying random parts. And unless you are buying two new heads, you may need some machine work done to match what is currently on the engine (you may need this even if you ARE replacing both heads...) You may need to buy from a specialty shop that can do that type of work, rather than shopping on amazon.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

quantumchaos wrote:
How about these:

https://www.amazon.com/IAP-Performance-043101355CK-Complete-Cylinder/dp/B0150I5D6W

Personally, I would get heads that don't have the step in the chamber.
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

Do you have any examples of heads that don't have the step-up in the chamber, and why wouldn't you buy those.

Thanks
Matt
Beetsme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

What a frustrating spot to snap a stud! Since either repair or replace requires you to remove the head, maybe start there. Pull it off, take your measurements, post some pictures of what you have. Probably will get some better answers. Even if you don't have machine tools, you can easily measure to a half millimeter with a tape measure to confirm basic sizes.

And contact the guy that says he can EDM to see if its a cost effective alternative to a new head. Go google EDM if you are unfamiliar with it.

Quote:
place the heads in the frunk

Never heard that one...but I like it!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Drill Bits in Exhaust Stud Holes Reply with quote

quantumchaos wrote:
Do you have any examples of heads that don't have the step-up in the chamber, and why wouldn't you buy those.

Thanks
Matt

I think these don't have the step:
https://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-heads-c...ead-40x355

I think Roy's heads are all step-less now, but I'm not sure. I know the set of super streets I got from him do not have the step:
https://www.mofoco.com/category/Performance_Heads/c52

You can email him and ask about his stock replacement heads and see how big the chamber is.

I don't like the step because I think it sacrifices power because you lose quench, or squish. Nice tight decks make more power, are snappier, and seem to run cooler in my opinion. Maybe it's not worth it on a stock build, but why not set the deck exactly where you want it? It's not that much harder. And if you know what you are setting your deck height to before you start, you can order heads flycut to the exact CC you need to get your desired compression ratio.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: