Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In a pickle about tire size
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
josh32cb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

So, I have a 65 split, everything is stock height. I have 15" BRMs, bought 205/70/15 tires to have proper load ratings and safe driving abilities but they just look to damn big on there, especially with an aftermarket wheel. What would be an acceptable size tire to toss on there? I've read forum after forum about tire size and what not and I just cant seem to find an answer. Are 175/55s or 185/55s a reasonable option? Any help would be extremely appreciated.

"Life's a beach, Dig it"!
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

205/70R15 will work. both the 175/55 and 185/55 will be to small of a tire for a stock bus. the 185/55 will work if you lowered the bus.

Last edited by widehatch on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

not sure what part bothers you? width or diameter?

i like how the 195/65/15s on 5.5s looked on my stock height 66.

They are not super wide.Stock would have been 7.00x14s which are huge in diameter, and they have a huge amount of rubber around the rim, pretty wide, too.

In reality your tires probably look just right. take some speedbumps without slowing down, report back. I bet you will like them better then.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

josh32cb wrote:
So, I have a 65 split, everything is stock height. I have 15" BRMs, bought 205/70/15 tires to have proper load ratings and safe driving abilities but they just look to damn big on there, especially with an aftermarket wheel. What would be an acceptable size tire to toss on there? I've read forum after forum about tire size and what not and I just cant seem to find an answer. Are 175/55s or 185/55s a reasonable option? Any help would be extremely appreciated.

technically a 205/70r15 tire has a slightly smaller diameter than a 7.00-14 tire

so...they sounds like the perfectly acceptable tire to me. Do you understand that if you run a smaller tire your RPM's will increase proportionately?

as mentioned, 175/55 and 185/55 are too small for a stock height bus, it will look ridiculous.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

So Im with the original poster.....Just had a tire blow off the tread, looking for some new ones.
Stock 65 split bus,
The threads on tire are overwhelming....thinking about bigger tires/big meats, but not sure....so
will these work:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

aren't those the same size tires he already has?

to answer your question, yes they will work just fine.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

Have you considered stock rims? They look just fine with big tires, and they also look good with a curvy bus, unlike the angular BRM rims.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

Be sure to buy a "C" or "D" rated tire, NOT the cheaper passenger car tire. Increase your odds of safety as well as those driving around you! You want to see "C" or "D" on the tire for load rating.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: In a pickle about tire size Reply with quote

X2, no P 205....
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: