Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost Cruise Control
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Hi all. The subject of this post is a ‘12 golf 2.5-5 spd. My wife and I are on day 22 of a month long tour of the western states. Two weeks ago in the middle of the Mojave the check engine light came on. No steam, puddles or odd noises, so we back tracked 2 hours to Las Vegas (the nearest dealership). The cause of the light turned out to be loose intake manifold nuts which were re-torqued and covered under a service bulletin. However, they came up with a laundry list of suggested maintenance items totaling more than 3 thousand dollars. The largest of which was replacement of the serpentine belt and tensioners etc. At that time the car had a bit over 81 thou on the odometer. So I went ahead and swallowed the 11 hundred for the belt. I know this is rather long Winded, but I thought the backstory would be helpful. Anyway, as we’re leaving Vegas on Sunday morning I go to set the cruise and...nothing. Which brings us to the present, 2 weeks and 4 thousand miles later. We’re in St. George, Utah, where I stopped in at the local v dub dealership for an oil change. I asked but they didn’t have the time to do a thorough investigation. So...whew...does anyone have knowledge of what systems were moved/meddled with to accomplish the above procedures, and is it possible that they just neglected to plug something back in? Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Thanks
Chris
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

But can't you even power it on? (green icon in the cluster).
Then, grab the user manual and find the Fuse for the system in the fusebox. Is it allright?

Try find out more about troubleshooting it on the internet [Geschwindigkeitsregelanlage (GRA) systeme]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Thanks good friend. One would think that a 354 page “owners manual “ would contain such information. However, the very first sentence covering fuses states that due to running changes it’s impossible to note the location of specific fuses at the time of printing. I did, earlier on, pull the cover in the engine compartment and visually checked the fuses. I’ll see what I can do with the link you’ve provided.
Thanks again.
Chris
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Oh, and no, the cruise ikon in the instrument cluster doesn’t come on.
Chris
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Okay, got it.

Oh! the joy of modern cars: user's manuals not very useful Rolling Eyes

Please bear in mind that your car has several fuse locations, not the engine room only. It is very likely that the dedicated fuse for the GRA system is inside the cabin (behind the dashpanel side cover on the driver side).
Not sure if it is the Fuse 11 (5A) but please check first if you have any melted fuse there.
Also, let me know if you have installed Fuse 19 in this fusebox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Thanks friend. I did pull the cover off yesterday and took a cursory look. Don’t know that I’ll have the time to do that before leaving the area tomorrow for our next destination (the Grand Canyon, Arizona). But I’ll let you know.
Chris
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise friend. Again, nothing obvious. I’m sure it relates to something disconnected during the above procedures and then not reconnected. I’m just going to wait until I get home to my local dealership where I have a good seven year relationship.
Thanks again.
Chris
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

I have a hard time understanding the connections of the current fault (Cruise Control not available) with the engine cam belt? service (not really sure what you mean with Serpentine Belt...).
You mention the Engine Fault light on, but I guess that an Authorized Service plugs into the OBDII port and reads the fault codes that triggered that light. I certainly don't expect shorting circuits & unplug the ECU connector... but anything could be possible.
Any other systems currently not available in your car? Everything else up? Let's hope that no pins have been bent or worse, broken in either BCM or ECU connection plugs.
Sight!
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Yes, everything else works fine.
Chris
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Conclusion: An update to the ECU during the original servicing in Las Vegas disabled the cruise. I contacted my dealership a couple of days after returning and his first question was weather it had had a recent service that included an ECU update. The service manager at the second dealership in St. George commented on the update but it, apparently, didn’t ring any bells for him. Anyway, problem solved...Sure could have used it back there in Kansas.
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Cruise Control Reply with quote

Just saw this now.
Ah! All devices/connections good to go but a matter of software details.

Guess this is just a small piece of the iceberg we are all facing with the fast move to 'software with wheels devices'. Rolling Eyes
No one will want to deal with Service Managers/Technicians that overlook good leads like that...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: