Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1964 Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Bugn24-7
For the paint first I started off with acetone to remove the latex house paint that faded from neon green to that ugly blueish color. Then luckily enough they never even sanded the original paint and sprayed the green color right over it so I was actually able to take a razor blade and when its hot enough out it comes off in large ribbons! I couldn't believe how nice and shiny the paint was underneath.

Thecat356
Yeah I'm mostly jealous of all those original parts that are on it like the seats and door cards! One of these days I'll stop buying big project cars and buy something I can enjoy right away Laughing

Ceckert64
Oh that's right I did buy those from you! The rear door cards are under the hood right now till I get around to working on it besides removing paint Laughing
Thecat356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Ceckert64,
yes the interior is all original, it's seems that the car has been loved and well maintained during all her life.
mystreybug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Super glad I stumbled across this thread. I recently picked up a from what I can tell is a mostly original and complete early 64. It has two sets of wheels with it and the ones installed on it at the moment are later model wheels. I was confused as to why the car was so original but for some reason had tires and wheels swapped. I have the smoothies however they set outside for a really long time and are gonna need a lot of love. The best I can guess on the replacement wheels is due to the fact it was at one time a North East bug, NJ. It’s my understanding that people up there sometimes keep two sets of wheels, summer and winter. These installed being winters. Best guess I got. I also searched the dealer name on the deck lid and found pics of it right here on the Samba. I thought that was pretty cool.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

mystreybug65 wrote:
Super glad I stumbled across this thread. I recently picked up a from what I can tell is a mostly original and complete early 64.[..]

Congratulations.

By the way, what fell on the roof?

Have you seen the 356 with not only a mangled roof, whole body is a mess? if not, might be inspiration? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745574

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mystreybug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

The big dent is from a tree branch. The tag on this car was from 1986. The guy who had it said it belonged to his aunt. When she passed he got it and covered it with a tarp. I would bet when he parked it, it was in really good shape and that setting for all these years took a toll on it. However it still is very solid. I’ve already started treating it down. It’s on the second floor of my hardware store, so every chance I get I sneak upstairs and take something off. I got it for the price of towing it home.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

mystreybug65 wrote:
The big dent is from a tree branch. The tag on this car was from 1986. The guy who had it said it belonged to his aunt. When she passed he got it and covered it with a tarp. I would bet when he parked it, it was in really good shape and that setting for all these years took a toll on it. However it still is very solid. I’ve already started treating it down. It’s on the second floor of my hardware store, so every chance I get I sneak upstairs and take something off. I got it for the price of towing it home.

Yikes, that was a big branch, bet the tree is huge, good thing didn't fall on the Beetle.

Same year I was born, what a shame it sat outside for 34 years and got damaged.

Interesting the hardware building's floor is strong enough not only for storage, plus a Beetle.

Wow, cost of a tow, fantastic. Look forward to seeing a bare shell soon. Popcorn

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Almost all original second owner Panama Beige ‘64.

smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Nice Laughing
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

That is a beautiful bug House. The interior is...WOW! Very Happy
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Any new 64s to add to the list?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Quote:
The other curious thing was seat belts. Not sure when they became standard but my 64 had inner and shoulder factory seat belt mounts but no outer. Both sides missing. Thought maybe that was new for 64 and my bug was using left over 63 parts??? That always puzzled me.

Actually these were not seatbelts. They were "rib belts". They did not go over the shoulder. The bolt is way too low for a shoulder mount.
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Hello, new guy here. Just got this 64. Don't know what this might be for. anyone have an idea? Thank you!

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Hi. Welcome. It looks like it may be an amplifier knob. So not origional. But nice car tho.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

It's a 12v to 6v converter with adjustable output, typically used for powering the wiper motor on a car converted to 12v. You can see a new example at the link below.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31%2D955%2D531%2D113WC
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Amen RE the wiper inverter. I had that on my old 63/65 bug. It enabled me to have variable speed wipers!
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Wow, thank you guys! Yes, I'm liking the car. Bought like that on purpose so I can learn.
EnglishmaninCalifornia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thought I'd post some pics of a 64 I've just picked up. Been sat in a garage for 20 after it was bought as a college project.

The bodywork is pretty sound the the floor pan is solid, only real issue I have to fix is the front, it's had a whack at some point so needs a bit of fettling.

Sjstretch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Time to add my 64 to the registry…thank you

Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

As far as changes, nobody listed the change to the '64 type steering wheel and horn ring/bar change from the earlier bottom ring style.

If they did, I missed it.

I have a '62 rag now, but I had a '64 when I was in my twenties and I still hold a soft spot for that year.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I've just purchased a '64 project.

I assume the seat vinyl is impossible to source?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: