Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Just thought it was funny because multiple times this month somebody was burning something nearby , be it a restaurant or burn pile of trash or wood or someone cooking nearby, and my first thought was I was having a wiring fault or something and got real worried 🤣 I’m sure this never happens to people who drive new cars.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Every freekin' time!

And it is worse since I lost a westy to a fire in 2008.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

I get flipped out when I'm behind a car/truck that is making any sort of smell... As soon as I start smelling ANYTHING, I go into hyper mode...

I do some mental self-prep when I get close to the Metro where there is a big petrochemical plant, and hundreds of semi-trucks forming lines like ants.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

I check the side mirrors for smoke from the rear vents at every red light. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Last week I had that same thoughts. I start visualizing all the little melted plastic parts of my dash that hold the speedometer and wonder if I properly fixed whatever electrical issues this van came with.

Anyways glad to hear I'm not alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

My office is a couple blocks from a wholesale coffee roasting outfit. I wasn't in my van at the time but the first, second, and third time I drove by after they started in business I thought my car was having an electrical melt down.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Oh ye with little faith ......

Things of done (and not done) and just kept on trucking

- Drove my 83 Tin-top Vanagon over 200k miles and never changed fluids (oil of course)
- Made 7 very long road trips in that Van and only replaced the front pads once in those 200k miles
- Never changed the fuel lines on the engine
- Burned an Exhaust Valve on the 5th long road trip ... pulled used stuff from a local junk yard and kept on trucking
- Drove two very long trips with a tire only in the spare slot (no rim...LOL)
............ many more stories about that ol' 83 with the Air-cool engine

- Drove the 84 with TDI on several very long road trips with no issues.
- On the first day of one of those long road trips, the pipe to the mechanical gauge for coolant system pressure split behind the gauge ...... drove for over 30 days without the system pressurized ..... no problems!

-Was only towed one time ........ near home due to an electrical issue with the TDI conversion. It was raining, late Sunday night and family with me. So, rather than solve the problem beside the road, I called for a rollback.

Yeah, I supose I've been lucky (likely blessed) ...

But, I do agree, anytime I smell smoke, there is a split second or more than I do have concerns .... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

First mile on a recent trip, I started smelling smoke. I knew it was wood smoke, so I wasn’t too worried, but where was it coming from? Finally I spotted the catering truck pulling a live BBQ smoker a few cars ahead of me. I went from being worried to hungry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Yes but only when I know its a burning automotive item. Last week we pass by a semi that must have had a dragging brake on its trailer. Sniff sniff, thats burning brakes or a clutch maybe! Checked my e brake, looked in the mirrors for smoke. Then give it a minute for the smell to go away, ok not me. Damn constant fresh air supply!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Just to make everyone really paranoid. When my westy burned the fire started in the engine compartment and I had no smell at all in the bus.

I only noticed the fire when the throttle got weird and oh shit that smoke coming out the D pillars that I saw in my mirrors!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Taking great solace in knowing I’m not the only one 🤣🤣
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

All the time.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

I used to notice a burning smell every time I got to a stop light a certain distance from my house. I was trying to figure out what it was that heated up at that distance. Eventually my copilot pointed out the Burger King on the corner. Mystery solved. Laughing
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think their van is burning when they drive by a fire Reply with quote

Yup. Me too. I have a BlazeCut in the engine and two other extinguishers. I've thought about adding heat sensors to the engine bay or even a camera.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: