Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want your opinion...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Good luck with the test!

Last edited by kpf on Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

In regard to my "befuddled" comment, it was meant in good fun. And, by the way, I have held a driver's license for nearly 62 years. Smile
Google gave me some friendly reminders that are all to often forgotten such as turning your head while backing (not relying on mirrors alone) and how to park on a hill---with and without a curb.

What Will Be Tested on the Illinois Road Test?
The driving exam tests multiple aspects of a driver’s capability to perform standard maneuvers, such as checking all the instruments and making any necessary adjustments before driving.

You will also be expected to complete the following maneuvers:

Back the vehicle straight and slow for at least 50 feet. Turn your head to look behind you. Don’t use the mirrors alone!
Perform a turnabout. Make sure you signal and stay on your side of the road.
Merge with traffic
Park uphill and downhill on the side of the road.
Start uphill and downhill from a parked position.
Control the vehicle and obey all signals, signs, and markings.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

I don't really see a problem Goober...
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
I don't really see a problem Goober...

The situation around here is a bit more complicated. No telling what Grammie will be driving in a year and a half. She gets her cars second-hand-cheap from her side of the family. The old-lady may be many things but not being cheap isn't one of them.

I don't drive anybody's car around here. If I drive the old-lady's car and anything breaks within a week it'll be 'I broke it'. And when the garage down the street hits her it the ass for 800 bucks I'll be expected to chip in.

My brother's second vehicle is an old S10 stick. It's had a cracked windshield for 20 years. He's in no hurry. If I take one of the Kids or GrandKid's cars and something breaks it'll be fix it Gramps, please, please, please, I've got no money....and by the way, could you have it ready by 5:00pm, I'm going out tonight.

I'm going to download a copy of the Rules of the Road for Illinois and see what I can find. I'll check the SOS website to see if I can email or ask a question. If there's nothing against taking a test in an old un-airbagged vehicle I'm leaning towards getting my Bug test-worthy.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

It totally depends on the examiner's comfort zone. My son took his driving test in a right hand drive with a stick and passed no problem. The examiner said after that he had never driven with either but he had an open mind. If it's legal to drive it should not be a problem. If it is a problem then the problem is with the examiner not the car.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It totally depends on the examiner's comfort zone. My son took his driving test in a right hand drive with a stick and passed no problem. The examiner said after that he had never driven with either but he had an open mind. If it's legal to drive it should not be a problem. If it is a problem then the problem is with the examiner not the car.

I'm with the Canadian smart guy on this.
As long as the headlight, turn signals, brake lights work. And the year appropriate safety gear is in good working order. The examiner has issues if they will not ride along!

The last driving test I did 10m years ago. The examiner needed to see the ins. card, Only.
The test started in a parking lot. Then moved to the street. I passed with a score of 89 Embarassed Laughing

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Take your car & know that it might receive extra scrutiny & ultimately may be rejected.

Or, rent a car for the day.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

TAKE IT! Very Happy Just make sure all lights and safety system are properly working, make sure the engine is in good tune so it doesn’t die. Maybe go to Lowe’s and buy some indoor/outdoor carpet that’s cheap. Go to the Secretary of State or where ever you register vehicles ect and ask for a drivers test booklet, it tells you what examiners are looking for and look through the book.

Here’s my story:
Last year when I turned 16 I took my drivers test in my Squareback. Everyone thought I was crazy to take my manual, 50 year old VW for my drivers test. The guy running the test was just blown away and amazed that I fixed it up myself. He just thought it was so awesome and he said he’s done 5,000 driving test and I was the third person with a manual transmission taking the test. He didn’t even do half the safety checks and he said he was impressed all the lights worked on it Laughing He was excited to ride in it and really enjoyed it. I hit a cone parallel parking Embarassed but it was fine and he said I was okay (you can lose 6 points in parallel parking and that was only one) it went fine other than that and he was in awe most of the time and just asking about me and the car. I think it just depends on the instructor too though; but the one I had was just thinking it was awesome to see a kid that fixed up his own car and had the guts to drive a manual on his drivers test.

I also did not feel comfortable driving one of my parents’ cars either as the controls on a VW are so basic and I have mainly only driven ACVWs I figured I would do just as good in that. I would definitely take the beetle. Just make sure it’s clean and all systems work. Just having all the lights working my also be enough to impress the instructor Laughing
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I'm still investigating.

There's two main issues. I'll have to pass a written test to show I know the Rules of the Road. I'll have to pass a road test to demonstrate I can safely drive a car. Pretty clear.

The question is, do I want my vehicle to become another issue? I have no way of knowing the reaction of the tester to my Bug. When I try to get down to particulars, things seem to get fuzzy and vague.

If it's a guy tester and he didn't get laid and comes in with a hard-on, I may be in for some trouble. I don't want to fail the test simply because of my vehicle.

Other the hand, it's what I'm comfortable in, it's what I drive and it's legal. I've been trying to figure out how much discretion the tester has in Illinois regarding the testing vehicle.

I'll keep you posted.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

goober wrote:

There's two main issues. I'll have to pass a written test to show I know the Rules of the Road. I'll have to pass a road test to demonstrate I can safely drive a car. Pretty clear.

The question is, do I want my vehicle to become another issue? I have no way of knowing the reaction of the tester to my Bug. When I try to get down to particulars, things seem to get fuzzy and vague.

If it's a guy tester and he didn't get laid and comes in with a hard-on, I may be in for some trouble. I don't want to fail the test simply because of my vehicle.

Other the hand, it's what I'm comfortable in, it's what I drive and it's legal. I've been trying to figure out how much discretion the tester has in Illinois regarding the testing vehicle.

I'll keep you posted.

My wife worked customer service and even more difficult client retention for 18 years with a major insurance company. After years and thousands of calls she and her coworkers recognized a trend among elderly customers.

They tend to over analyze decisions while imagining different scenarios as to why something isn’t going to work. You can talk yourself out of making a decision while going over all the possibilities. Me, I can’t imagine an examiner being so petty and vindictive they’d penalize a senior citizen for the car they drive but it may be different where you live. Why not just rent a brand new car that you believe will be pleasing and harmonious to the DMV, how could they not like that?

I’ve just not reached the point where I believe state employees and total strangers are out to fuck people over because of the car they drive. That’s not to say safety and security of the vehicle shouldn’t be tip top. Rent the new car eliminate all the shame in owning the old VW.

The story I told you about the model T is true and it happened in Illinois. As you know this predates seat belts, safety glass, collapsing steering column, hell the damn thing had side curtains no windows. If you’ve ever driven a T you know it has three pedals on the floor, non synchronized planetary gears and the throttle and timing is on the steering column. The brakes are cable and you need a strong leg to stop the car. People used to upgrade to Rocky Mountain brakes, yes it’s a thing google it.

I’d imagine the tester was in awe watching a man hand crank the engine without breaking an arm then get to the throttle and timing and drive off. That turd had a top speed of about 40 mph on a good day.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
goober wrote:

I'll keep you posted.

My wife worked customer service and even more difficult client retention for 18 years with a major insurance company. After years and thousands of calls she and her coworkers recognized a trend among elderly customers.

They tend to over analyze decisions while imagining different scenarios as to why something isn’t going to work. You can talk yourself out of making a decision while going over all the possibilities. Me, I can’t imagine an examiner being so petty and vindictive they’d penalize a senior citizen for the car they drive but it may be different where you live. Why not just rent a brand new car that you believe will be pleasing and harmonious to the DMV, how could they not like that?

I’ve just not reached the point where I believe state employees and total strangers are out to fuck people over because of the car they drive. That’s not to say safety and security of the vehicle shouldn’t be tip top. Rent the new car eliminate all the shame in owning the old VW.

The story I told you about the model T is true and it happened in Illinois. As you know this predates seat belts, safety glass, collapsing steering column, hell the damn thing had side curtains no windows. If you’ve ever driven a T you know it has three pedals on the floor, non synchronized planetary gears and the throttle and timing is on the steering column. The brakes are cable and you need a strong leg to stop the car. People used to upgrade to Rocky Mountain brakes, yes it’s a thing google it.

I’d imagine the tester was in awe watching a man hand crank the engine without breaking an arm then get to the throttle and timing and drive off. That turd had a top speed of about 40 mph on a good day.

"they tend to over analyze decisions" Bingo, just do it! You have talked more in time about this than is necessary. And this coming from a person probably older than you are. Be proud that you drive an old VW....go and do it.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

You can't handle the Truth? The truth is very few people hate Bugs.
It doesn't matter what car you take, if the DMV guy is in a snit, then you lose.
Don't let appearances or smells put the DMV Guy into a snit.
Clean the trash out of the Bug, if it smell, than deal with it with frabreeze or some BS.
Read the DMV Manual.
Take a shower, brush your teeth, put on clean cloths, easy does it on the aftershave.
Warm up the Bug, so It runs good during the test.
A young DMV person has likely never been in a Air Cooled Beetle, it will be a nice experience he will tell people about.
A Old DMV Person will bring up whatever food memories from the 80's when these cars were still daily drivers.
Relax, pay attention to what you're doing while driving, and you'll pass the test just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:

"they tend to over analyze decisions" Bingo, just do it! You have talked more in time about this than is necessary. And this coming from a person probably older than you are. Be proud that you drive an old VW....go and do it.

I moved out of the San Jose Bay Area to the Central Coast, add Covid to that,
and being retired, so I actually have time to think, and boy are you right,
there is a bunch of shit that I've been overthinking!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Well, I've renewed my driver's license. I'm good for 4 more years until 79. I took my granddaughter's Toyota. No one around me can drive stick and I like her car and I figured my Bug would become an issue.

If they knocked me out of a driver's license I wasn't going to touch, work on or fix anything on my Bug's. They could just rot there until I died. The family would probably dump them quickly or just have them crushed. There are no Bug-lovers in the crowd. They see dangerous 50 year old out of date junk not unlike old things made with lead and asbestos. Pitty.

The last year I've been dreading the renewal process. The last 2 months I've been following the Rules of the Road to a tee. I won't tell you what happened at the SOS office. Unbelievable. But I will say one thing I've discovered, if you really want to piss people off just follow the Rules of the Road.

I'm now making a gas powered bicycle that requires no title, plates, insurance, driver's license and has right of way on the roads and trails just like any bicycle. I'm 13 years old again. Old age is getting tricky. I'm going out the way I came in, dancing Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_f9DHbgG8
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Congratulations on passing the test! Keep the Bugs and get a different family that appreciates the better things in life! I taught my wife and all our kids to drive a stick. Our youngest taught his wife to drive a stick too. She didn’t like it but she did it because that is what he drives. Our oldest girl is now teaching her boys to drive a stick.

Getting harder to find a real car with a stick in North America. People here have totally lost the joy of driving.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

please post pics of the bicycle.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I won't tell you what happened at the SOS office. Unbelievable.

Oh, please do tell us what happened at the SOS office.

And congrats on your pass.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
please post pics of the bicycle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
What a bunch of Debbie downers, what’s the point just shoot yourself. Not the OP I’m talking to Debbie😀
Im not debbie, but I may of done debbie. I also took one of my test in my old prostreet(aka drag car with plate) the tester had to crawel through the cage like I did. that guy was also tickled to be in it. I passed with no issues in either bug or drag car...I reckon he didnt notice the rear tires were not exzactly legal. I also did one in my 4 door long bed dully pickup. that one can be a chore to park sometimes, but no issues. and no I still donut know how to post pics hear..again.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Goober, there was a reason we rode those when we were 13...you could take the spill much easier. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: