Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AB engine oil pressure issues help please
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Hi there, Ok its all back together. I have just got her home and guess what... Same bloody issue!!! I did put a new oil pressure switch in it and then the oil light was permanently on apart from when you just have the ignition on.. which i thought was odd.. so i put old one back in and it was fine until id been driving for about 20mins and then sure enough... on comes the oil light when i take my foot of the throttle and it gradually gets worse and worse until its permanently on. I checked the temp of the heads when i got home and they are at 150C... The oil is castrol XL 30, its had a new oil cooler..

I have a set of new stiffer oil relief vavle springs im now seriously thinking about putting them in. I tested the old ones as best i could with a digital scale and they seemed not to bad, but now im beginning to wonder... Its even had a new oil pump!!! After all that work and money and its still doing it..... Any ideas anyone?
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Also i tested the oil temp using a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole it read 107c and the oil light was coming on at idle, but going out if i touched the throttle..
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

It almost sound like the oil pump could be a problem (what size) or the engine idle. Also what oil is being used? type, weight. Are you using full flow oil system, oil cooler? Stick with the standard bypass springs.
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply. I have a tachometre but its not brilliant the idle is sitting around 900 - 950. The oil system is stock for 1600. The oil pump is brand new and i think the size is 26mm (although i will need to look at the reciept to be sure) it is the same as the one that came out exactly i compared the 2 side by side and check the gear sizes as well. Oil grade is Castrol SAE 30W

I adjusted the timing as suggested by a previous post and then took her for a run.. When i got back i checked the oil temp with the car idling with my therm in the dipstick hole and it was sitting at 101C the head temps by my infared thermo were 110C. At idle the light was flickering on but would go straight out as soon as you touched the throttle. The air temp here today is about 24C
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Sounds like the engine is very worn. The distance between the bearings and the rotating pieces is large enough to allow a lot of oil to get through. It may be time to rebuild the engine.

You could try running some 20-50w and see what happens. Be careful as this may inhibit cooling, but if it does not, your oil pressure may be better for a little while. Maybe long enough to save up for a new long block!

It really sounds like the engine is due for a rebuild. I think that is the bottom line.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

I have rebuilt the engine.... I had the case line bored and thrust cut, crack tested, the crank has been reground and the new bearings matched to the crank/case etc, i had the cam sorted and new bearings for that new cam lifters, new oil pump new oil cooler new 1600 bores pistons and heads valves etc, all new gaskets and seals. new big end bearings and small end, big end matched to crank and con rods by machine shop like the main bearings. new oil pump and cover and oil cooler.

This is why i dont get why is still doing it as i have rebuilt the engine and have had a pro machine shoop sort the bearings and that for me so i know that its all ok.

She drives absolutely beautifully, no flat spots really responsive on the throttle and smooth. The difference is astounding to be honest.

Its got all new tinware and it is all there!! Just the bloody oil pressure! having all this done i cant believe its still doing it.. its driving me nuts
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

The generator light and oil light wires aren't switched are they. Have you checked oil pressure yet . why did you originally tear the engine down.
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

I originally tore down the engine to sort out the endplay as it was excessive. It has always run though. I'm positive that the generator and oil wires aren't switched. I'm getting an oil pressure testing kit today can someone tell me the sort of pressure i should be seeing so when i test it tomorrow i know what im looking for?

I'am beginning to think though it may be something to do with the oil pressure relief valves as they are the only thing that hasn't ben changed at this point.

Just another thing i have noticed though.. I set the idle, and then when i close the engine lid the idle will drop a tiny bit is that normal?

Also when she has been running for awhile and is up to temp. If i stop her for say 10mins and then go back to try and start her up she takes abit more cranking, and a foot on the throttle for her to start. However if i stop her for a minute or so she starts right up.. Again is that normal.. I have read in the manual that to start when she hot you push the throttle down and hold it until she fires and that seems to be whats happening but i thought it worth mentioning. Anyway i just want to say that you all for your replies this is driving me nuts and i feel from talking to you guys that im not trying to sort this alone..
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

First, verify the oil pressure with a gauge.

Second, check your oil pressure switch wire to see if it is grounding between the switch and the light, its a long run and could be chaffed and grounding out somewhere along the route.

Another possibility is you are replacing a faulty oil pressure switch with a new oil pressure switch that is also faulty.

Good Luck
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Don’t discount what vwoldbug said. Is it possible? After all you changed out the alternator.

Re starting engine when hot. Yes it’s normal to have to do that. Why? When engine is cold fuel is not atomising well so you have to restrict the air flow by “choking” the carburettor to compensate. When the engine is hot conversely fuel vaporises very well so you have to give it extra air i.e. open the throttle fully.
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I finally got it sorted out!! And it was something stupid!! Anyway I will go through what i did.

I changed the valve relief springs and pistons. and then i took the advice of a previous post regarding the timing and set my 009 distributor at 28 degrees max advance. I checked it at idle and it read 12 degrees !! so it was waaaay out static timed at 7.5 degrees. After doing that i drove her for 20mins and the oil light was only coming on at idle and only flickering! However i still felt she was getting way too hot the dipstick was very hot to touch, and when i check the oil temp with a meat thermo that i checked was accurate it was reading 110C way too hot

I did by a gauge to test pressure bit it was useless!

So I read that having too small jets in the card would cause it to run lean and then run hot. I had bigger jets supplied with the carb, the ones in there were 127.5 main and 50 Idle, i changed it to 130 main and 60 idle.

After that i retuned the carb and then took her for a 20 min drive. Again oil light flickered at idle only, but she still felt too hot oil temp measured 105C and the dipstick was still way too hot.

AT this point i was pulling my hair out!! SO i decided to think it through logically... I knew the oil was the right grade, i knew the switch was working, i knew the timing was right and the carb was right, the engine ran cool before when i first had it and it had virtually no tinware, no doghouse ducting, no bottom tinware, and yet now it had all the proper tinware in place and was running hotter, so i decided to look at the fan etc.

The only other thing that i had added to the engine bay that wasnt there before were Tar boards.. SO i had a look and saw that the back tar board was bowed out towards the fan it looked as though the fan was actually sucking it in!!! So i removed and took the car for its 20 min spin.. NO Oil light.. not even a flicker!!!! The dipstick was warm and could be handled, i wasnt hit by a heat hammer when i opened the deck lid, and the heads read 130C and the oil temp 72C what a difference and she drives so nicely!!!! I do have another small issue but its totally different so i will post it as another topic... but i can now actually enjoy my bug!!!

I just want to say a big big thank you to everyone who gave their advice it really did help me out with this i cant thank you all enough!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is all working and running, Happy bugging!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

That’s great news!

I had only had one car, in which the tar boards got sucks in by the fan. Only one, in well over a few thousand Bugs! Great diagnostic work and awesome visual inspection!

Glad you got it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AB engine oil pressure issues help please Reply with quote

Gonna remember that one.

Congratulations
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: