Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'68 Bus as a TOAD?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

She's a keeper!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Reread the thread please.

Op made it clear it’s between Jeep amd Bus and wife wants the Bus.

So, it’s the Bus. Unload the Jeep and bank coin on one of the UCSC kids this fall from back East who have to have. Jeep for college.

For 500-1500 miles a year, make up the axle style tow bar and have fun. I would also make up a light bar that you can put on the back of the Bus so you don’t fuss with wiring

Don’t be a dumba$$ and leave it in gear. Don’t worry about it “ slipping into gear”. Be happy. Don’t worry. Kiss your wife amd kids every day like it’s your last.

^This.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It’s never a problem until there’s a problem. Driving a big RV, you’re not likely to know there’s an issue with the vehicle being towed until someone passes you pointing excitedly at something behind you. You asked, I pointed it out, do what you want, IDGAF.

Dang man, wtf happened? Don't know which trigger I pulled on you, but I didn't mean to.

As for selling the RV, that is our main family past-time. We make 5-6 weekend trips per year as a family and until such time as I can convince the wife that we can use the Bus for these trips, selling the RV isn't a viable option. For the record, it was a $9,500 RV, we're not one of those families who drops $100,000 on an RV with a 30-year loan.

Thank you all of your input. It sounds like the general consensus is: keep it out of gear and there isn't inherently a risk with the bus versus anything else. Don't be an idiot and be prepared that something bad may happen.

Our bus (photo below, though it now has it's bumper back) was bought for $4,200 and I've put more time than money into it since then. It's not a garage queen and I'm not worried about resale since it will be in our family for the foreseeable future. It's regularly carrying a surfboard or a bunch of bikes and full of sand, mud, or kid's snack crumbs so I don't know that a few rock chips will really make things any worse.

For what it's worth, this photo was taken on a camping trip we went on pre-kids. Before kids were in the picture, this WAS my wife and my RV.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Nice blue, is that Neptune?

You might need rear torsion bar adjustment if that is an unladen pic, but that can wait until the kids are out of college.

Quote:
My wife has made it very clear, the Bus is never going anywhere. It's what took us on our first dates, it was the photo booth at our wedding, etc. So, if the Bus can never be sold,

This entire Forum bows to you and your Queen of all she surveys
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
It’s never a problem until there’s a problem. Driving a big RV, you’re not likely to know there’s an issue with the vehicle being towed until someone passes you pointing excitedly at something behind you. You asked, I pointed it out, do what you want, IDGAF.

Dang man, wtf happened? Don't know which trigger I pulled on you, but I didn't mean to.

Nope, not triggered, I really DGAF. It’s your Bus, do with it what you like.

I will say that, as someone who puts 25,000-30,000 miles a year on a vintage VW, listening to the vehicle as it is driven & taking note of changes in noises or vibrations and then investigating the sources of those abnormalities has saved myself and my vehicle from serious damage, that is something that you cannot do when it’s behind the vehicle you are driving.

I would also suggest that you find a mounting point for your tow apparatus that involves something other than sheet metal. I have seen many “towed” vehicles where the constant buffeting/bouncing/twisting has caused tearing & fracturing of bumpers, brackets, & frame horns. Remember, the front end on most modern cars is designed to be a crush zone & like our ACVWs, those bumpers are attached to intricately folded sheet metal.

Here’s one example of sheet metal fatigue of a bumper attachment point on a ‘68 Bus where the rear bumper was used to tow a trailer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I would also suggest that you find a mounting point for your tow apparatus that involves something other than sheet metal. I have seen many “towed” vehicles where the constant buffeting/bouncing/twisting has caused tearing & fracturing of bumpers, brackets, & frame horns. Remember, the front end on most modern cars is designed to be a crush zone & like our ACVWs, those bumpers are attached to intricately folded sheet metal.

Here’s one example of sheet metal fatigue of a bumper attachment point on a ‘68 Bus where the rear bumper was used to tow a trailer.

That is super helpful, thank you. If I do it, it would be with the tow bar offered on the Samba.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Then you gotta be careful on dips & sharp transitions.

The tow bar only has but so much upward travel before it makes contact with the bottom of the bumper. Depending on how long the distance tow ball is from the rear axle of your RV, a transition from a street, say across a sidewalk, that drops off the other side, could mean that the rear bumper of the tow vehicle can raise more than 2 feet. This can lift the front of you bus off the ground. Just pointing it out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Then you gotta be careful on dips & sharp transitions.

Great call out, thank you!

78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Also take in consideration the mass distribution of the differences of the Bus and the Jeep. With the Engine in the back that makes higher danger of fishtailing at high speeds and winds.

There was video posted somewhere a couple months back about trailer weight distribution for safety. I think it was produced by U-haul. Youtube that. Using a pull trailer with the rear on it would negate such higher chances for fishtailing probably.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

There is a new option where you can put a bar in front and push a second vehicle in front. That one is called the Frog. Invented in South Carolina, queerly enough.

You won’t get fishtailing on a four wheel planted tow.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

People have flat towed VWs forever. It's your bus. If you want to pull it and drive it, then drive it. Some folks act like these are treasures that should be in museums and not driven.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Instead of flat towing it why not find a car trailer to tow it with? You won't be adding miles to the bus drive line. But there will be the added cost of the trailer purchase / registration to consider. Not to mention storage as well. I suggest this only because if it were my issue I know I'd go with the car trailer. Idea
jedavisss8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

What may be your best alternative is to take the Westy to a welder/fabricator to design a towbar that will attach to a solid mount, then when even or just before the bumpers swing upwards to bring it up to your tow hitch. You will need a drop hitch, but not too much or you defeat the purpose of the custom bar.
Also, because of the weight in the rear, you want to equalize that up front to eliminate the sway. As others mentioned, keep it away from the shifter. Trailer sway is not fun and hard to control.
Yes, it's a beautiful bus. But if you can't or don't use it like you want, then why have it. It is meant to be used, not just look at! Enjoy it while you can.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

man would you guys quit with the trailer sway.
a 4down VW WILL NOT SWAY like a improperly loaded trailer.

I'm not reading back but jut want to make sure to mention that in some/many/most US States you will have to have some form of braking assist.
they sell units that sit on the towd floor and press the brakes for you based on a signal from the towing vehicles brakes.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
man would you guys quit with the trailer sway.
a 4down VW WILL NOT SWAY like a improperly loaded trailer.

to say sway isn't a possibility is a 1000% lie.

ever tow a hay wagon?

if the alignment isn't dead nuts and the front end isn't tight sway is a real possibility on ANYTHING getting dragged behind you.

it's less likely to happen, but still a real possibility if things aren't set properly.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

yeah thanks Skillz..

IT'S NAHT A HAYWAGON, Laughing

so long as the Bus has proper tires, and any drivable suspension it won't wander about back there.
it will push like any 4-5ooo pound rear load, increasing braking distances and pushing around turns and curves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Cavilry6

So what did you end up doing?

I was quoted above form another thread.

We just ordered our tow bar from Jeremy, and will be towing our '68 Campmobile behind our RV.

I haven't bought a brake assist yet, but the research has started.

I plan to use magnetic lights.

The warning of steep driveways is good advice. The solution is to take them at 45 degrees. It makes a huge difference.

To the folks that think it's crazy to tow a classic VW like this.

We live in the RV, and my bus is sitting unused. This way I get to use it as my "daily driver".

My RV also has a camera in back, so I am able to watch what I tow. My RV also outweighs the bus by about 6x or so.

We're actually super excited to finally have a full time toad. We've been full time since 2019, and have been using a combination of chasing, no vehicle towed, or using a rented transport/dolly. Plus, towing a little bus behind a big bus is cool. Cool

My 1968 Campmobile
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

fatmatt650 wrote:
Just thinking out loud, could you put it on some sort of dolly or tow it backwards w/ the rear wheels raised? Also, you've probably thought of this but maybe a solar shower and small chemical toilet? Anything's possible if you want it bad enough. Sounds like a neat idea to me.

My 76 is an automatic and a dolly worked but I wouldn't have wanted to do this for a cross country trip. Look for a car hauler trailer as some are less than $1000 and insurance is $80 for the year.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

We left WA about a month ago.

Colville, WA - start
Huntington, UT - installed solar on RV
Moab, UT - Explored Arches and Canyonlands in VW
Flagstaff, AZ - Check rental home, and Doctor appt.
Mesa, AZ - Check other rental
Riverside, CA - Visit mom for turkey day

We've traveled a little over 2,000 miles so far with no problems.
No supplemental braking yet, but still plan to add something when we head back to AZ. I am sure the toad has increased my stopping distance, but so far I've not really noticed it's back there. I drive slow already, and now my guideline driving the RV is, "don't tow the VW faster than I drive it." Since the VW manual says the max speed is 72mph, I keep the RV under 65. I usually drive ~55-60 in both buses Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: