Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Is anyone using EMPI Cal. blade bumpers?
Are they decent quality or crap??
Thinking about a set with adapter brackets for my 68.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

I have not had direct experience with the Empi ones, but in general any of the néw chrome bumpers don’t hold up great in the elements. Chrominance these days is terrible. Have you looked into stainless steel? Several companies out of Vietnam sell SS bumpers and I have heard good things so far.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I have not had direct experience with the Empi ones, but in general any of the néw chrome bumpers don’t hold up great in the elements. Chrominance these days is terrible. Have you looked into stainless steel? Several companies out of Vietnam sell SS bumpers and I have heard good things so far.

I purchased Chrome plated stainless steel Euro Blades from CIP1.
They are equal to the OEM metal thickness.
Not cheap by any means though.
Will report in when they arrive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Chrome plated SS would be very odd. Are you sure they aren’t polished SS? Highly polished SS looks like chrome.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Bug53 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Chrome plated SS would be very odd. Are you sure they aren’t polished SS? Highly polished SS looks like chrome.

No they are chrome plated stainless. Chrome is actually slightly different than polished stainless when put next to each other.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Probably these...
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21%2D0007%2D3
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21%2D0008%2D3

Interesting how they state that they're stainless so they'll never rust, then put their canned bumper statement in the ad for them...from the ad page:

"These are the finest bumpers on the market. Made from Stainless steel so they'll never rust, thick original quality metal with a brilliant chrome finish...
*Special Note about Chrome Bumpers*
Rust only appears if chrome bumpers are neglected. Please follow these Bumper maintenance instructions to keep your chrome bumpers from rusting. You MUST coat these Bumpers with a light coating of wax (ex. Mothers or Meguiar's car wax www.meguiars.com) in order to keep any moisture from rusting the chrome. If you live in a northern or coastal area with salt air or harsh winter conditions, you will need to wax more often. We recommend waxing your chrome bumpers and wheels every time you wash the vehicle." (End quote)

If they're truly a quality grade of stainless, with no free iron to rust under the chrome, then they'll probably (and SHOULD) stay rust-free for a long time. The moron(s) at CIP who wrote that ^ blurb is suggesting that chrome rusts, which it does not...the steel underneath is what rusts. So to have to wax and otherwise seal cheap chrome bumpers is to be trying to seal a crap chrome job from water and other oxidizers (chrome which, if from China, was probably applied over rusty metal to begin with).

In any case, hopefully yours were made with a recipe that will provide many years of bright shiny service.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Bug53 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

No they are chrome plated stainless. Chrome is actually slightly different than polished stainless when put next to each other.

Trust me, I’ve polished dozens if not hundreds of SS items. I’m aware there is a difference in polished SS and Chrome. Done correctly most people wouldn’t know the difference however. It will be interesting to see what you receive. They seem the be the only one selling chrome plated SS bumpers. Wondering if they aren’t having them flash chromed at this price? Hopefully not.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

crappy (china) stainless steel does rust as well. Wink
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
So to have to wax and otherwise seal cheap chrome bumpers is to be trying to seal a crap chrome job from water and other oxidizers.

The 54-year-old original chrome bumpers on my Karmann Ghia still look great with only an occasional coat of wax over the years...and this car has spent its entire life only a stone's throw from the Pacific Ocean. Quality chrome plating on good steel should last many years without having to wax it every couple of weeks.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

I know it, one of my '65s has the original rear bumper and there's not a spec of rust on it. Another rear bumper I snagged from a wrecking yard came out of a bad engine fire car, sat there for years before I got to it, and has been sitting outside for years since I got it, with black tarnish but no rust. Just can't duplicate that durability these days.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

He's anyone done anodized aluminum bumper blades? It would shave some weight and it's not like the blade bumpers offer much protection. It would be a more understated and stockish look than running aluminum t-bars.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
He's anyone done anodized aluminum bumper blades? It would shave some weight and it's not like the blade bumpers offer much protection. It would be a more understated and stockish look than running aluminum t-bars.

Ah, yes------good old Briz Bumpers. I haven't heard them mentioned in many years.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
He's anyone done anodized aluminum bumper blades?

Anodizing won’t produce a luster similar to chrome unless the base metal is first polished to a mirror finish. If not tinted in one of several colors, anodizing is generally clear, allowing the natural matte finish of the aluminum to show thru.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Stainless= "stain less". None are perfect and all need some maintenance
2004 Porsche Turbo
1960 VW beetle (Australian)
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Probably these...
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21%2D0007%2D3
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21%2D0008%2D3

Interesting how they state that they're stainless so they'll never rust, then put their canned bumper statement in the ad for them...from the ad page:

"These are the finest bumpers on the market. Made from Stainless steel so they'll never rust, thick original quality metal with a brilliant chrome finish...
*Special Note about Chrome Bumpers*
Rust only appears if chrome bumpers are neglected. Please follow these Bumper maintenance instructions to keep your chrome bumpers from rusting. You MUST coat these Bumpers with a light coating of wax (ex. Mothers or Meguiar's car wax www.meguiars.com) in order to keep any moisture from rusting the chrome. If you live in a northern or coastal area with salt air or harsh winter conditions, you will need to wax more often. We recommend waxing your chrome bumpers and wheels every time you wash the vehicle." (End quote)

If they're truly a quality grade of stainless, with no free iron to rust under the chrome, then they'll probably (and SHOULD) stay rust-free for a long time. The moron(s) at CIP who wrote that ^ blurb is suggesting that chrome rusts, which it does not...the steel underneath is what rusts. So to have to wax and otherwise seal cheap chrome bumpers is to be trying to seal a crap chrome job from water and other oxidizers (chrome which, if from China, was probably applied over rusty metal to begin with).

In any case, hopefully yours were made with a recipe that will provide many years of bright shiny service.

The bumpers arrived intact.
Bumper blades and chrome is flawless.
Rear fit with the adapter brackets on my 68 perfectly.
Front didn't match the adapter bracket by 1-1/2" .
CIP1 looked into it and found some notes on the manufacturers description that an additional hole would need to be drilled in the bumper on each side.
It would have been super if they had that on the web page as they wouldn't have got the order.
Just saying.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
CIP1 looked into it and found some notes on the manufacturers description that an additional hole would need to be drilled in the bumper on each side.
It would have been super if they had that on the web page as they wouldn't have got the order.
Just saying.

Yeah, that's a bit of a drag. If you drill them, I guess you can take a small paint brush and touch up the holes with some thick paint so that rain exposure doesn't lead to eventual rust bleeding. The brackets will cover up the drilled holes.

I was burned by CIP about 12 years ago, I had to have my credit card provider demand a replacement wheel or refund me for the whole set...they decided to send me a new wheel. Needless to say, I haven't ordered another thing from them since.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

I tried the "Euro" style bumpers from CIP on my latest project. They are just OK but better than the dented up OG bumpers. They arent as thick as the OGs but will do what I want them to do. CIP does say that you should keep wax on them after each washing or they will rust...so far so good . Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

You have to be careful even with stainless steel as Mervo has said.

The best stainless that most of us come across is SS 316 used for marine fittings. SS 304 is also common but is an inferior grade but adequate for kitchen utensils, kitchen sinks etc.

Unless the type of SS is specified and not 316 or 304 you could end up with an inferior grade of SS which can still be problematic. Some stainless steels can still be affected seriously by salt water solutions, i.e. salted roads.

I've seen poor grades of stainless steel which "stain" (read corrode) after a few years in the industrial environment.

Not saying these bumpers aren't any good but my position is if the vendor doesn't say they are 316 or 304 then generally they are of poor quality (but still better than rusty chrome plated).
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Bug53 wrote:
Just saying.

Yeah, that's a bit of a drag. If you drill them, I guess you can take a small paint brush and touch up the holes with some thick paint so that rain exposure doesn't lead to eventual rust bleeding. The brackets will cover up the drilled holes.

I was burned by CIP about 12 years ago, I had to have my credit card provider demand a replacement wheel or refund me for the whole set...they decided to send me a new wheel. Needless to say, I haven't ordered another thing from them since.

I was mostly bummed out by the total garbage EMPI bumperettes they sent me. They do not advertise these as EMPI or I never would have bought them. They are truly garbage.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Cal.Blade Bumpers - Any good? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Bug53 wrote:
Just saying.

I was mostly bummed out by the total garbage EMPI bumperettes they sent me. They do not advertise these as EMPI or I never would have bought them. They are truly garbage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: