Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

I know of a well documented 1957 beetle with 36hp engine that was meticulously maintained by the OG owner from new and went past 100k before the first valve job. It was around 230k with only that one valve job when we lost track of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Everyone else provided nice, long, detailed, and thoughtful answers.

Didn't hear a budget. So, I would say, call up Berg and buy every single part they say to buy....down to the last washer and sealant. Build it EXACTLY how they say to build it. Drive it EXACTLY the way they say...

You get the idea. Might wanna check on how much equity is in your home. It will cost you to go this route.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

It also matters, IT REALLY matters, how much of a foot you continue to throw at the gas pedal. Are you going to drive it at the maximum speed, say 65mph during the 25 years it may take to add up to 200K. Will you be the ONLY person to ever drive it? Seems like I have heard this question before in the 1960s at the dealership, when they said "honest, it will get 200,000 miles before it even needs a tuneup". I know this is an exercise in futility, but you all know this has as much chance of happening as...... whatever.
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Didn't state it had to be air-cooled so, stock 1.6L Turbo Diesel Very Happy
Grocery store veggie oil, heating oil, engine waste oil... list goes on and On. I will have Fuel way past 2031.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

vwpieces wrote:
Didn't state it had to be air-cooled

Technically a "motor" mean and electrical motor as opposed to a internal combustion "engine".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwpieces wrote:

Technically a "motor" mean and electrical motor as opposed to a internal combustion "engine".

OK, guess that limits this thread to electric motors from New VW's.

"VW motor"
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwpieces wrote:

Interesting since technically we are discussing motor vehicles which until the Tesla were primarily powered by internal combustion.
Several dictionaries state it can be either internal combustion or electrical power.
[url] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motor [/url]
[url] https://www.dictionary.com/browse/motor [/url]

I think Spencer cleared it up along (after the original post) the way that the discussion is about type 1 VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Well, Merriam Webster says you're full of poop. Laughing

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/engine
Quote:
1: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motor
Quote:
1: one that imparts motion
specifically : PRIME MOVER
2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: such as
a: a small compact engine
b: INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE
especially : a gasoline engine

Max
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:

I think Spencer cleared it up along (after the original post) the way that the discussion is about type 1 VW.

I totally agree.
For some unknown reason folks keep brining up the T4 as a great long living engine. WE GET IT!
But this thread is about a T1 200K single port.

Not some 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 Porsche wanna be poser!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

I had a 73 bus and it dropped a valve or a seat at around 70 thousand miles. Even back in 1982 parts were about 3 times normal type 1.

I didn’t see the amazing longevity I saw an expensive POS which is why I bailed out and got a 64 camper. As to the original question I’d have to agree with 1500 cc engine being long lived, but only if it received proper care and maintenance.
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

I am a 1600 SP fan boy all day.
Run one in my 68 bus.
Balanced, dual carb, my own head work and a special cam.
Stock flywheel and weighted steel crank pulley.
Seriously doubt this engine will make it 100K in a bus but even 80K in a bus is doing well.

Also building another for a project... on the stand now.

But the 1600 SP is as low, or can I say backward as I will go.. trying to balance power vs longevity.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I totally agree.
For some unknown reason folks keep brining up the T4 as a great long living engine. WE GET IT!

Buncha posers Laughing Laughing Laughing
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I totally agree.

to be fair, Spencervee did not clarify the type 1 criteria till later in the thread . Looks like the type 1 only guys are a little sensitive Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

from a 2600cc Type 4 guy that likes telling people its only got a Veedub bus motor , not a Porsche or Scooby-do .
if you beat them in a race . They can accept a Porsche or a Subi , but being smoked by a VW bus motor, that hurts !!! Priceless .
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: if you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The type 3 by the way lasted a bit longer that the type 1 in general, some say better temp control, some say FI, I say both.

The carbed type 3s lasted longer, too, so it wasn't only the injection that gave them longevity, even though the bottom end had to deal with more power.

Type 1s and 3s were assembled at the factory with the same level of care...just sayin'
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: if you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
oprn wrote:
The type 3 by the way lasted a bit longer that the type 1 in general, some say better temp control, some say FI, I say both.

The carbed type 3s lasted longer, too, so it wasn't only the injection that gave them longevity, even though the bottom end had to deal with more power.

Type 1s and 3s were assembled at the factory with the same level of care...just sayin'

The last year for the dual carb type 3 in Canada was rated at 66 HP whereas the FI was rated at 65 HP so no FI didn't necessarily have more power.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: if you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
oprn wrote:

........................................................................................................................the type 3 MOTORs oh engine sorry . i am a gear head i say motor the type 3 motors .lasted longer made more power . i think it was the bigger fan that cooled the motor better than the type 1 fans did and the type 3 got cool air from the out side the engine bay so it never got hot air to cool the motor from inside the engine bay just my two cents spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: if you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
oprn wrote:

The last year for the dual carb type 3 in Canada was rated at 66 HP whereas the FI was rated at 65 HP so no FI didn't necessarily have more power.
.................................................................................................................................when i worked at a vw dealer ship in 1973 i loved driveing the type 3 vws . then along came the 411 then the 412s what a dog they were to drive . when they had a auto trans . same with the bus when it had a auto trans . in 1973 spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I totally agree.

to be fair, Spencervee did not clarify the type 1 criteria till later in the thread . Looks like the type 1 only guys are a little sensitive Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

from a 2600cc Type 4 guy that likes telling people its only got a Veedub bus motor , not a Porsche or Scooby-do .
if you beat them in a race . They can accept a Porsche or a Subi , but being smoked by a VW bus motor, that hurts !!! Priceless .
................................................................................................................i dont think type 1 guys are as you put it are senstive . i posted on this forum . how can you build a typ1 engine or motor to run 200,000 miles . most of the type 1 guys wanted to hear about how would you build a type 1 motor to go 200,000 miles . and then the type 4 guys .had there two cents .and say that the type 4 motors were better . and thats ok . but they were of no help on how to build a type 1 motor to run over 200,000 miles .to me it seems that there were more type1 motors built than the type 4 motors that vw built over the years . thats why i posted on this forum how to go 200,000 miles with a vw bug type 1 motor . i think its great to hear what other vw guys have to say about how they would build a type one motor to go 200,000 miles spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I had a 73 bus and it dropped a valve or a seat at around 70 thousand miles. Even back in 1982 parts were about 3 times normal type 1.

I didn’t see the amazing longevity I saw an expensive POS which is why I bailed out and got a 64 camper. As to the original question I’d have to agree with 1500 cc engine being long lived, but only if it received proper care and maintenance.
...................................................................................................................................i am going to try to be nice to the type 4 guys . in all the vw shops i ever worked for. no body wanted to work on type 4 motors . we all had to and we did a good job rebuilding them .and this is my take on the type 4 motors . i found the typ4 motors to be a pain in the ass to work on. cost a lot of money to rebuild .and because used type 4 parts are hard to find. it all ways cost way more money to build a type 4 motor . if its your thing to use a type4 motor for your vw more power to you spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
Glenn wrote:
vwpieces wrote:

Interesting since technically we are discussing motor vehicles which until the Tesla were primarily powered by internal combustion.
Several dictionaries state it can be either internal combustion or electrical power.
[url] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motor [/url]
[url] https://www.dictionary.com/browse/motor [/url]

.............................................................................................................................. when i hang around vw guys at shows or swap meets 90% of the time guys say motor not engine i think people under stand what people say . when they say motor and not engine my self i like to use the word motor because. i dont want to up set the native Americans by saying engines .lol lol spencerfvee .
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: