Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aschrock044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Hi fellow VW peeps! This is my 60 Ghia as it sets currently. This car was purchased by my father who passed in 2015. He had started the restoration but quickly developed health issues and the car has sat in a barn at my grand mothers since. The car will be getting towed to my house next week (weather pending) for restoration to start!

He already has the body pulled from the chassis and sitting on a rolling frame so that part of the work is done! First plan is to start on the pans and the chassis as soon as I can get it home! Stoked to finally have the time and money to get this Ghia brought back to beauty and on the road again!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

How interesting, Aaron. Is the car complete with all its bits? Tell us more about the story. We’d love to hear about it and how you progress with this project.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
How interesting, Aaron. Is the car complete with all its bits? Tell us more about the story. We’d love to hear about it and how you progress with this project.
Nicholas

It has the one year only dash trim. I see a motor, everything but the kitchen sink, oh...thats there too. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Aschrock044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

I’m honestly not 100% sure how complete it is at this point. I’m planning to get it towed to the house next week where I can go through it and see exactly what is there and what’s missing. I know he had purchased a few pieces already that he knew weren’t in the best shape but I’m tracking them all down. Where the car is currently stored it’s in a barn without much room to really get in and around it. Hopefully next week the weather will co-operate so I can get it home and get through it and get some more pictures and a better understanding of the scope of work and what’s missing!

For a little info about the car, he bought it I believe in 2014 from a gentleman in Florida. The guy he actually bought it from is a war fiction writer and former US Air Force Loadmaster named Michael Salazar. He also gave him a signed copy of one of his books when he purchased the car. I know Salazar had the car since 92, but I have no record of its past prior to him. I plan on doing a bit of a resto-mod by adding just a couple of modern tastes but keeping the classic soul of the car!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

First year after the lowlights. Nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Sorry about your father. This is a great way to honor his memory.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Great project to pick up on that your dad started. I still have the last seats and door panels my dad made for my Ghia before he passed, so going to keep those aside and use donor interior.

You will get plenty of encouragement and advice here, and a lot of personal opinions, but in the end you will get it back on the road again.. Keep the story coming and the pictures posted. Look forward to following.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Popcorn
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Looks good i'm doing a 1960 KG as well. If I can help with anything let me know.
1969 T2 Deluxe
Aschrock044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

First update! The car is officially home!

After going through everything, it looks like I have an almost 100% complete car!... well...the parts for it to be haha. I have a complete engine (have not moved that yet due to lack of time and storage on the trailer), complete interior, all the body panels, bumpers are in good shape minus needing to be re-chromed...

For the bad though, it appears there is more body work required than I was hoping to find... but about as much as I felt I realistically would. Rockers? Shot. Heater Channels? Shot... Nose? Shot on the lower front thanks to a mistake my father made leading to the shifter going through it while moving the chassis around under the body.

The good news? I work at the VW factory in Chattanooga (Home of the Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport, Passat, and soon to be the new .ID electric series) as a maintenance man in the body shop... So I'm very familiar with the processes of building a car and some of the VW nuances... as well as having many fellow employees who are VW enthusiasts and familiar with older VWs and their restorations.

I was hoping to get some work done on the car today, but after the whale of a day we had clearing the barn to get to her, getting her loaded, transported, and unloaded... Im ready to call it a day. Hopefully I'll have some more to share with y'all next week! I believe my first plan is going to be following in the steps Antoine took on his 60. I plan to try and strip down the chassis entirely, replace the lines in the tunnel, replace the pan, and get some solid rust protection laid down for the mean time!

Also, I haven't gotten a chance to do a ton of reading yet so Ill ask here, can my fellow Ghia peeps tell me, would a 1960 have originally been a 12v or a 6v car?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Welcome to the club! Yours looks similar to how many of us started, so a long time ahead with the panel replacement. Plenty of inspiration and How To's available to you.

A 1960 would have been 6v Most update it to 12v unless you are trying to make it period correct.

Will be following your progress.
Jeff <-- ATLAS Owner!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

another 1960 Ghia owner here(though mine is a convertible). I will be following along. Good Luck
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

That’s right. 1966 was the last year for 6 volt electrics and many do convert to 12 volts for the better performance and parts availability.
Nicholas
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Sounds like an exciting day. You certainly do have some work ahead of you. Great that you are saving another Ghia.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

That is excellent, another 60 being saved! As usual, you will need the lower 20 cms replaced but hey, it's worth it !
Tell me if I can help!

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Any progress on renovation?
Aschrock044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Aaron’s 60 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

So its been a while. Not much has changed to be honest. Between changing positions at work, the wife being in school, life has been so hectic I haven't had time to do as much as I would like. I have came to realize that the metal work, is beyond what I can do myself and achieve the results that I want. I have been reaching out to shops here in the area trying to find the best fit of someone that can do the work to the level I want, without having to spend enough money that the wife wants to murder me lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: