Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Since the invasion is postponed yet again... and I need to get on the road for my sanity ... its going to be road trip time . June 17th-20th my father and I will be setting off from Gardnerville Nevada , and over the course of several days be working the way up the coast and back home .
we will head up over 50, then merge over the 80 and avoid San Fransisco all together and go over to the 1. first day will be over 400 miles to Fort Bragg. from there up to Crescent city, and likely shooting over somewhere inland for the night. from there, not sure where we will stay the third night but we will likely be shooting over the 99 for the trip back down to 50 and back over to home.
If anyone is interested in cruising along with , doesnt matter how long, we are down. type 3 , bugs , buses all welcome. but this is our way of saying :fist: to covid and doing our own thing. if anyone would like to get a hold of me to meet up or anything just message me. any suggestions for the route or where to stay please feel free to add.

we will be documenting the trip and posting up here. pictures , vids. etc. so more to come!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
lets do this! Laughing

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Spruce Goose alone is worth stopping!
https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Nice! This is a fantastic idea!

If you have a more firm idea of where you'll be on which days, please post to see if it's possible to meet up.

BTW, very nice fastback! What size tires do you have on your car?
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

So much fun. Wish we were closer to join you. Next year at the Invasion! Looking forward to the pictures.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Take your time and enjoy the drive/ride. Went to the Texas Classic years ago 850 miles one way split it up in two. That made it enjoyable also staying off the freeways.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Not sure of your route to HWY1 but if you can fit in HWY128 from Cloverdale to HWY1, or HWY20 from Willits to HWY1 you will not be disappointed. Both are North of Santa Rosa and you can get on them off of HYW101.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Coastal Rt 1 goes inland and ends at US 101 in Leggett. North of there- take the Avenue of the Giants- California Rt 254- north of Garberville off US 101. The road was actually an old alignment of 101. It takes you past huge redwood trees that grow right next to the road. There are also a few "tourist stops" in that area where you can drive your Fastback through a giant tree's trunk- The Chandelier tree in Leggett, and the Shrine's Drive-Thru Tree in Myers Flat along the Ave. of the Giants.

Bring a tripod along and an adapter to fit your camera or phone so that you can have shots of your dad, you and the Fasty. Then learn how to use the self-timer on your photo device.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Check out this drive north of Crescent City:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-1...stump-road
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Love me some road trip... Wink

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies,
Mike, Spruce Goose, I've been by once before when we were on our way back from Washington one time. It had been years (i think i was 11 or 12) when I saw the Spruce goose for the first time in long beach next to the Queen Mary. I remember being pretty upset about it going to Oregon , but she's been well taken care of. The Queen Mary on the other hand.... not so much, she's in sad shape. how far north of Crescent city are we talking? My dad and I both grew up in Palmdale,CA in the shadow of Edwards AFB and AF plant 42 .. so we love a good aerospace museum.
pitargue, i plane to firm up the plans this week, where are you out of? as far as tire size i forget but Mike Fisher was the gentleman who recommended the sizes and it works out great.
GT1953 for sure. My Dad is a tall guy and my seats in the car are not exactly plush... we will have to stop a bunch and stretch. I wont be in a hurry , just enough to not get run over be every other person on the road.
BIG BILL , thanks for the suggestion, I'll look in to that hopefully we can work that in.
Rome, awesome , that sounds great. adding to the list, thanks brother!

KTPHIL, thank you also .

MAX! , who doesnt? Laughing Laughing Wink

I'm hoping by wednesday I'll have a full route mapped out and posted.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Ok, took a little longer than expected. was very touch and go there for a while , wasn't sure if it was going to happen or not... so here is the planned route

June 17th, from Gardnerville Nevada to Fort Bragg. 340miles+ going to go all the way in to point reyes and follow the cost as long as we can. taking hwy 50, to 80, and get all the way over to Hwy 1. we will be stopping quite often , because my dad is 65, and my seats are not exactly comfortable like stated before. If anyone would like to cruise with us anywhere along this part of the route, hit me up and we'll come up with a place to meet, i'll give you my cell number and we'll arrange it.

Day two June 18th , Fort Bragg to Crescent City, 217 miles. we plan on lolly gagging around stopping as much as possible , check shtuff out and again if anyone is interested we can meet up. BTW, anyone know of any VW shops along the coast, would like to build a list of them if needed.

Day three, June 19th , Crescent city to Red Bluff, Ca, 243 Miles. Same as above

and then finally the cannonball home on the fourth day June 20th, Red Bluff to Gardnerville, NV , we have three options , go through chester, ca and through Susanville and take 395 back home. go hwy 20 to 80 and go through chico and back up through truckee and Reno. or back from wence we came, 5 to 50 and over the mountain. all similar in mileage plus or minus 20 miles.

IF anyone has suggestions on food, or where to stop , or would like to meet up , shoot me a line , would love to meet ya, whether you are in a type 3 , a bus , a bug, or hell if your even in a hyundai... All in all we are looking at about 1000 miles round trip and its not about making good time, its about having a good time. Donald (the fastback) is ready to go, got my spares, my tools, gas cans, etc.. i think we are good to go. anyway hope to hear from you guys !!!

VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Just about a week out and I'm excited. Car is mechanically ready, brakes adjusted, carbs in tune... I believe we are good to go.

bringing two gas cans (cause if i dont, i'll need it)
tools, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, electrical tools , multimeter.. any suggestions for what else?

bringing a bag full of spares, Points, condensers, throttle cables , clutch cables voltage regulator, coil, wires , plugs, terminal ends... also bringing an extra generator and starter... cause if i dont... ill need it. any other recommendations feel free to add.

spare tire holds air and good to go. bringing a couple of jack stands and a hydraulic jack just in case.

a cooler full of water and crack in a can (energy drinks) , our clothes and we are good to go.

couple of thumb drives full of tunes, our phones , chargers, a good attitude.

if there is anything else you all can think of I would appreciate it.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got everything but a AAA card, so you should be good to go. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Cool Take lots of pics. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

First aid kit and fire extinguisher?

But please post pics so we can all live vicariously through you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
First aid kit and fire extinguisher?

But please post pics so we can all live vicariously through you.

AHA! thank you , fire extinquisher , i knew i was forgetting something. as for the pics , Absolutely bro! Wink

gerry1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

i use this power bank to jump start my vw whenever i go on a road trip. It has 18000 mah, capable to crank your starter. it has usb port so you can use this also to power your usb string lights at night when you decide to go on a camp. enjoy your trip, sounds fun!
roverjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

I wish I was still back in Cali....
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Nice looking car, enjoy your trip! Also seconding the request for tire sizes, they really fill out the wheel wells nicely.
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Sounds like you'll have a great time. I'm leaving Utah here in a week to go back to SoCal sorta for a type 3. I'm picking up my brothers 70 auto squareback and pulling back here.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Roadtrip (June 17-20th) Reply with quote

Roadbeater wrote:
Nice looking car, enjoy your trip! Also seconding the request for tire sizes, they really fill out the wheel wells nicely.

205-65-15 back and 185-65-15 front.

Tomorrow is first day.. cant wait!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: