Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog light reverse light grounding question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Fog light reverse light grounding question Reply with quote

I'm installing both an external rear reverse light as well as a rear fog light both mounted to the bumper. Really just for looks. They're the rectangular VW/Hella type but I powder coated them black. They're all mounted and wired up but I'm having issues grounding them. They have the single power cable and grounded through the chasis. The back of the light where the bulb fits into is the ground but when I install it into the powder coated casing, it doesn't ground. Even when the lenses are screwed in, it's not properly grounding. Anyone have any experience with these types of lights? Thanks.

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fog light reverse light grounding question Reply with quote

Assuming your external light is mounted with a threaded stud, make a ground wire with ring terminals at each end; one for the threaded stud, and one for one of the M10 bumper mounting bolts.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light reverse light grounding question Reply with quote

I hope this helps, Sucribe to my chanel if you like. Mine take the ground from the post where they bolt on to the bumper.

Link

dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fog light reverse light grounding question Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:
I hope this helps, Sucribe to my chanel if you like. Mine take the ground from the post where they bolt on to the bumper.

Link

Thanks Safari. When you say yours take the ground from the post, does this mean that you add a wire from the post to a bumper mounting point, like Mondshine suggests?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light reverse light grounding question Reply with quote

Thanks Safari. When you say yours take the ground from the post, does this mean that you add a wire from the post to a bumper mounting point, like Mondshine suggests?[/quote]

Not quite. The lights on the video, which, by the way, are the correct lights for a 181,have only one wire coming out. That is the positive wire which goes to the transmision switch, which is fed from the coil positive (Ignition Switch).

The post of the light, grabs negative from the body, inside the the light there is already a wire that hooks the bulb socket to the metal body of the light which of course is connected to the post.

Basically you just wire the positive and the ground is pre-wiered inside the ligth.

I hope that helps
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fog light reverse light grounding question Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:
Thanks Safari. When you say yours take the ground from the post, does this mean that you add a wire from the post to a bumper mounting point, like Mondshine suggests?

Not quite. The lights on the video, which, by the way, are the correct lights for a 181,have only one wire coming out. That is the positive wire which goes to the transmision switch, which is fed from the coil positive (Ignition Switch).

The post of the light, grabs negative from the body, inside the the light there is already a wire that hooks the bulb socket to the metal body of the light which of course is connected to the post.

Basically you just wire the positive and the ground is pre-wiered inside the ligth.

I hope that helps[/quote]

Interesting. So my lights do not have the wire inside the body of the light that connects to the bulb socket. I have original ones that likely were too old to have that feature. These grounds go from the bulb socket which screws into the body of the light. But my guess is that due to corrosion on the bulb socket piece as well as the non-conductive powdercoating on the light body, the ground is poor.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: