Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if i can static time my engine with a magnaspark II distributor?

I put power to the coil (red wire side), plug a spark plug in #1 spark plug wire, set distributor to face #1, rotate the distributor and known good plug doesn't fire.

I tired connecting a light tester to the neg side of the coil and other end of tester to ground and with power to the coil, the test light lite up, rotate the distributor and the light stays on.

If i should be able to get spark, can you tell me how to troubleshoot to see if its the coil or distributor. Tried calling CB today but was too late. Want to do my first start this weekend and may have to put back a tried and proven cheap 009 copy.

Thanks...

Brand new magnaspark II kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Check out youtube videos.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Do you have timing light? Set #1 to TDC, rotate distributor by eye so that the rotor is lining up with #1 in the cap.

This will get the engine running and then adjust properly with a timing light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

I have one sitting on my shelf that I have installed yet. I’m still running the chrome 094. I can’t tell you if you can static time it or not. With these electronic modules some can be, some cannot be.
Either way you really need a timing light to make sure it’s correct in the end.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

I have a timing light, but need the distributor to throw a spark to the spark plug as without that the engine is not going to start.

I'm going to take the rotor out and try see if the air gap can be changed on the exciter.

I don't think it's the coil but will meter it, i think the problem is in the exciter.

I watched and watched so many video's but never came across one that trouble shoots a cdi ignition.

I waiting for CB Performance to respond to my email on the problem.

Thanks Guys!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Defenitly check the air gap. Mine was way off.
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

6/14 - Mark of CB Performance Reply

Per Mark the Magnaspark II cannot be static timed. He said to line up the rotor with #1 and try fire the engine while turning the engine.
KRuiz15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

hello everyone, Need Help
I recently installed a MAGNASPARK II kit, after a few weeks the VW Bug began to jerk in fourth gear at about 3500 rpm, the failure is like a piston going out for a couple of seconds, if it runs up a hill it loses both speed and rpm even if you have the gas pedal all the way down. which may be?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

KRuiz15 wrote:
I recently installed a MAGNASPARK II kit, after a few weeks the VW Bug began to jerk in fourth gear at about 3500 rpm, the failure is like a piston going out for a couple of seconds, if it runs up a hill it loses both speed and rpm even if you have the gas pedal all the way down. which may be?

You need to provide a little more information, for folks to help ya.
Engine specs will help diagnose the issue.
Heads
camshaft
rockers
carbs
exhaust

What ya running?

Love the, Isla De Encanto!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

KRuiz15 wrote:

Agree--we need more information to really help you.

If this were my vehicle behaving like you describe at high rpm, I would suspect fuel starvation and I would be looking for clogged fuel filters, fuel lines or carburetor passages. Or a malfunctioning fuel pump.

Alternatively, your timing could be way off. Please let us know how you set the timing, and what it is currently set at (both at idle and above 3000 rpm).
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

I would check the air gap which will affect your dwell angle and coil saturation.

I would also check plugs and wires which can be fine at lower engine speeds but start to misfire under higher loads.
KRuiz15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Greetings again,
the engine is stock, it is a 1600, the exhaust has a euro tips, before mounting the distributor I installed a new RedLine Webber progressive 32/36, but the rest of the engine is with its factory components, consulted a week ago with another mechanic and he told me that he will change the distributor module, I bought it on the CB Performance website, I installed it and the car when I tried to do the test drive going from 1st to 2nd the car turned off, again he told me I installed the one I had previously and it turned on without problems but with its slight failure that I already explained to you, I am considering mounting the 009 factory distributor with platinum and capacitor to perform another test drive and continue ruling out possibilities, but if someone has had this problem, what can you help me to solve it thank you
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

KRuiz15 wrote:
Greetings again,
the engine is stock, it is a 1600, the exhaust has a euro tips, before mounting the distributor I installed a new RedLine Webber progressive 32/36, but the rest of the engine is with its factory components, consulted a week ago with another mechanic and he told me that he will change the distributor module, I bought it on the CB Performance website, I installed it and the car when I tried to do the test drive going from 1st to 2nd the car turned off, again he told me I installed the one I had previously and it turned on without problems but with its slight failure that I already explained to you, I am considering mounting the 009 factory distributor with platinum and capacitor to perform another test drive and continue ruling out possibilities, but if someone has had this problem, what can you help me to solve it thank you

I'm not sure I understand. Here is what I think you are saying:

You bought a second magnaspark module, and this one results in stalling when you go from first to second gear?

And then when you re-installed the first magnaspark module, it cuts power at high rpm like you originally described?

And right before all of this, you put in a progressive carb?

Is all of that correct?
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Don Jones wrote:
I have a timing light, but need the distributor to throw a spark to the spark plug as without that the engine is not going to start.

I'm going to take the rotor out and try see if the air gap can be changed on the exciter.

I don't think it's the coil but will meter it, i think the problem is in the exciter.

I watched and watched so many video's but never came across one that trouble shoots a cdi ignition.

I waiting for CB Performance to respond to my email on the problem.

Thanks Guys!

Having the same issue. Test light stays on. Disconnected every wire EXCEPT the positive to coil and positive and negative in between dist and coil.

Guess I'm dense but doesn't seem to be much adjustability as screw holes in module seem dang small. Must be missing something. Glad it's not rocket science cause 3 wires and I'm toast.

Thanks
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Static Timing with Magnaspark II Distributor Reply with quote

Sold my Magnspark and bought a Winterburn CDI. Best thing i ever did to my engine.

My plugs burn really nice (D6EA) and my coil runs cool. After a 22 mi run the coil is slightly warm vice burning hot with normal ignition.

The Winterburn CDI has (3) modes, Kittering (Stock), Off, and CDI. Check it out!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: