Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

empi stallion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oval Sportster plate has only been reported found on a few, 4 seaters and 2 seaters that I know of. It says they were by Land, Sea and Air Inc. of Riverside, CA, which is also where EMPI was located. From the factory photo its pretty sure they were built by EMPI and badged Land Sea Air Inc.

Other than this one picture I've never seen a Sportster badge in any other period magazine article or catalog.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, you are right, other Sportsters have been found with aircraft hardware. Dave Wolvens 1965 Land Sea Air is one.

The windshield hinge shape means it was not the later style. The 66 Stallions appear to have the later style hinge. That might date the one you found to around 65.

Most buggy soft tops were made by local auto/boat upholstery shops in the 60s. Towbars weren't "standard equipment" on any buggy but the Tow'd. If they weren't purchased as a dealer option when new, there are/were lots of aftermarket ones available.

EMPI built the Sportsters with a VW chassis with stock floorpans. If these aren't the stock floorpans then they were probably replaced by a previous owner at some time. They frequently rust out.

I'd sure like to hear the in-depth answers you've found. There's a lot of mystery still about all these pioneering buggies and sharing solid information and documentation on these forums can produce additional substantiation.
MikecornwellMikecornwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title lists it as a 1964 empi rdstr. (Roadster) I will pass along some new photos I've come across and some cross references tomorrow. Again thanks to everyone for the input.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some pictures taken in Barstow of what appears to be a Stallion. They were taken in Barstow in 2011. It has the boxed in seats and the forward window frame hinge pivot which the later Sportsters have, but it also has the turned down front fender tips which appears to be unique to the Stallion.

The facility at 1303 W. Gaylord in Long Beach where Flaming Eqipment Mfg was located in the 60s was an aluminum die casting facility in the 90s. I think that's where these were made. One member of the Manx club posted he recalled a couple friends of his who lived near Fresno had these in the 60s and used them in the Mountains near there.

Any other pictures of probable Stallions out there?

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mikecornwell,

If I can suggest you post it on the classifieds, you got a bunch of Empi Sportster nuts here! And yes I am one of them! Very Happy

Tony
SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

June 2021: I just acquired a 1966 Stallion Roadster from the nephew of the owner / manufacturer, one of 10 factory built in 1966 by Flaming Equipment Company at 302 Gaylord Ave in Long Beach, CA, Walter Flaming owner. His nephew was the foreman and had a hand in building each Roadster, including the one he sold to me. All were poppy red except one at the buyer's request. All Stallion Roadsters are steel and easy to identify by the front fender extensions. You'll find the VIN number is on the hump between the seats, should be SR660XX. I own Number 8, pretty much untouched since 1966. So far I've only seen internet pics of 2 other Roadsters.

Last edited by SR66008 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

SR66008,

If you have any pics post them up, do you still have it?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

SR66008 wrote:
June 2021: I just acquired a 1966 Stallion Roadster from the cousin of the owner / manufacturer, one of 10 factory built in 1966 by Flaming Equipment Company at 302 Gaylord Ave in Long Beach, CA, Walter Flaming owner. His cousin was the foreman and had a hand in building each Roadster, including the one he sold to me. All were poppy red except one at the buyer's request. All Stallion Roadsters are steel and easy to identify by the front fender extensions. You'll find the VIN number is on the hump between the seats, should be SR660XX. I own Number 8, pretty much untouched since 1966. So far I've only seen internet pics of 2 other Roadsters.

Thank's for your post! The Stallion was a real Cadillac version of the Sportster. I think EMPI adopted at least two of the Stallion's features. EMPI started enclosing the side of the seat and used the forward cantilever windshield hinge after 1966. Would love to see any pictures the gentleman who sold you yours might have

Here is another Stallion write up in addition to the flyer I found

SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

Hello all & thank you for the warm welcome!

BLSManx, that is a great Stallion flyer, thank you for posting!

As found & purchased from the relatives of Walter Flaming.

Inherited by Walter Flaming's nephew who was the foreman of the Flaming Company in Long Beach who oversaw the run of ten 1966 Stallions. #8 was kept by Mr Flaming for off road adventuring around the Salton Sea area.

Original Stallion silkscreens on either side behind the door openings.

Stallion brochure with Walter Flaming image. Of note, Mr Flaming was born with only a right hand. He accomplished more in his lifetime than most people with two hands.

Fun times with your Stallion 66. Doubles as a second CAR or PICKUP TRUCK. Attn: DMV, Walter Flaming did not build dune buggies.

If your "Empi" has front fender extensions and a VIN plate like this, it's a factory built Stallion Roadster.

Last edited by SR66008 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

That's an awesome car! The craftsmanship is obvious in every detail. I believe EMPI adopted at least a couple of it's features on the later Sportsters

Its condition is just as impressive. It's like looking at a something pulled out of a time capsule from 1966
SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

Making good progress during the first heat wave of '21

SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

More progress July 4th weekend, 2021

SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

First startup in decades!

Link
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

Awesome video!
SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

Thank you! More vids on the way!
SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

Another vid as promised:

Link
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

I believe this is also actually a Stallion

https://barnfinds.com/metal-bodied-buggy-1966-vw-empi-sportster/

Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

SR66008 wrote:
Another vid as promised:

Link

Stallion is awesome! Love the video of you guys driving it!!!! Thanks so much for sharing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct! That is very likely another Stallion Roadster; would be interesting to know the build number. VIN # SR66-XXX will be located on hump in front of bulkhead just the behind seats.
SR66008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

And back on the road!

Link
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: empi stallion Reply with quote

SR66008 wrote:
Yes, you are correct! That is very likely another Stallion Roadster; would be interesting to know the build number. VIN # SR66-XXX will be located on hump in front of bulkhead just the behind seats.

I just saw your comments on the post.

So with your orange one, that red one and the yellow one I posted on this thread in 2015, are they they only three Stallions you are aware of now?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: