Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keep blowing fuse with new sink pump
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Keep blowing fuse with new sink pump Reply with quote

I just bought a new 12v sink pump, the one that goes inside the cabinet under the sink, and a new faucet and I can't figure out why the fuse is blowing immediately. I had a short in the old wiring so I decided to just run a new wire from my aux battery. I have the positive and negative wires running from the positive and negative battery terminals to the faucet and then from there spliced down to the pump. As soon as I try to put in the 15amp inline fuse it sparks and blows immediately. It's brand new wiring that's only about 3 feet long so there's no shorts. I only used 16ga because I had some on hand and figured for such a short run that would be fine but could that be causing it? I can't see any other issue.

Thanks for any insights!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep blowing fuse with new sink pump Reply with quote

You are wiring it wrong. Run only 1 wire from the battery to the faucet, a fused power wire. The other faucet wire goes to the + wire of the pump. The - wire of the pump goes to the battery - connection.

Mark

gbrady28 wrote:
I just bought a new 12v sink pump, the one that goes inside the cabinet under the sink, and a new faucet and I can't figure out why the fuse is blowing immediately. I had a short in the old wiring so I decided to just run a new wire from my aux battery. I have the positive and negative wires running from the positive and negative battery terminals to the faucet and then from there spliced down to the pump. As soon as I try to put in the 15amp inline fuse it sparks and blows immediately. It's brand new wiring that's only about 3 feet long so there's no shorts. I only used 16ga because I had some on hand and figured for such a short run that would be fine but could that be causing it? I can't see any other issue.

Thanks for any insights!
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep blowing fuse with new sink pump Reply with quote

I knew it was something easy. Electrical is not my forte. Thank you for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep blowing fuse with new sink pump Reply with quote

What Mark said, as always.

The way you wired it, when you turn the faucet on, you are closing the cicuit between the two wires that run to the faucet. So you are connecting the battery + to the batery -. Basically, you're creating a short. Good thing you put a fuse!

Here's what Mark said but in a drawing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(in your case it's not a lamp, it is a pump. The switch is the faucet).
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Keep blowing fuse with new sink pump Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I'm going to read up on wiring and better educate myself for future issues (as I know there will be Very Happy )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: