Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Both pans are tacked up for fitment but I am really disappointed in the pan material. Super thin, and not as strong as the original Pans. If I had to do this again (which I may) I'd custom make a pan out of stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Been awhile since I have updated my build thread. I have cut off the tunnel head (AKA Napoleon Hat). Plated the tunnel and welded up the A-Arm Bulkhead. CoilOvers, and Jamar Hubs will be installed next.

Here you can see the Tunnel cut off and new bulkhead installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looks good. How wide is that a arm wheel mount to wheel mount.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Bad_chopper wrote:
Looks good. How wide is that a arm wheel mount to wheel mount.

I'll post some better pictures today. FOX 2.0 10" with DSC will be here today along with the JAMR Hubs. Supposed to push front end 4" forward (4" increase wheel base) and 72 inches track width. I'll get some final numbers shortly.

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Leveling the pan

Getting preped to cut off the frame-head.

It's off, no more butterflies

Tacked up bulkhead plate and leveling

Bulkhead installed

DancingOnTheAshes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Not to be a downer but I'm hoping you have a plan for your stick shift, because changing the bushing or linkage is going to be extremely difficult with the tunnel closed, but I'm sure you've already thought of a solution.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

DancingOnTheAshes wrote:
Not to be a downer but I'm hoping you have a plan for your stick shift, because changing the bushing or linkage is going to be extremely difficult with the tunnel closed, but I'm sure you've already thought of a solution.

Not sure I understand what you are referring to? Isn't the tunnel closed regardless? I do see where there was an opening on the tunnel head but you'd need to remove the front axle to access this space regardless. The car will get a Mendeola mated to a J32A2 Honda. I have not gotten that far yet but I'd assume I could use the old shifter location with a new mount and pull the old shifter rod out. Then replace with the a new one which will mate to the Mendeola.

Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Both Fox 2.0 10" coil-overs and JAMAR front end showed up yesterday. I was able to mock everything up and cycled 17.5" of travel.

Plan now is to acquire/install steering box, wheels and tires then cycle one last time before I start welding the uprights and additional tubing support.

In the meantime I need to work on chassis the car and tie the front to the back and install the roll cage.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I DO HOPE you're aware you're gonna need to upgrade your trans to at LEAST a seriously built VW Bus 091 trans. That 3.2 will eat gearboxes alive. My friend has a 3.2 in his 4 seat rail and it eats his 091 all the time. Probably need a Mendeola or Weddle HV-1 or more for a trans. I keep telling my friend the same, but he's stubborn. It doesn't take too many rebuilds of an 091 to pay for the Weddle or Mendeola.

Another guy I know who has a Crumco Baja that my son built for him last year with a 3.2 Honda that he's already grenaded the Mendeola he has in it.

See Wayne's Baja on Shoptalk Forums or SoCal Bajas Facebook page.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

mnewman wrote:
DancingOnTheAshes wrote:

Not sure I understand what you are referring to? Isn't the tunnel closed regardless? I do see where there was an opening on the tunnel head but you'd need to remove the front axle to access this space regardless. The car will get a Mendeola mated to a J32A2 Honda. I have not gotten that far yet but I'd assume I could use the old shifter location with a new mount and pull the old shifter rod out. Then replace with the a new one which will mate to the Mendeola.

Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Mike

Yup. You're missing something. The shift rod comes out the front end of the tunnel. That's what that access plate in the front panel of the frame head was for.

You didn't need to remove the beam to get in there. The plate and the shift rod fit through between the beam tubes. If you want to get that shift rod out so it won't clank, you'll need to cut the tunnel open.

You MIGHT be able to cut the old shifter mount bracket out of the top of the tunnel and slide it all out the back above the rear torsion housing.

Lots of people put a different shifter on top of the tunnel with the shift rod exposed on top. That will mean there is a hole in the sheet metal in back. You can go to the hassle of filling that hole in and sealing it off or just leave it open for dust and whatever else gets in through the hole.

The thin floor panels are not a real problem for a car as serious as you're building, the cage structure from front bulkhead to rear will be the strength of the chassis. You should probably plan on tying the bottom rails of the cage to the pans.

Seems you're a competent fabricator, but I take it you're not all that familiar with VWs and how they're built, then, huh?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I DO HOPE you're aware you're gonna need to upgrade your trans to at LEAST a seriously built VW Bus 091 trans. That 3.2 will eat gearboxes alive. My friend has a 3.2 in his 4 seat rail and it eats his 091 all the time. Probably need a Mendeola or Weddle HV-1 or more for a trans. I keep telling my friend the same, but he's stubborn. It doesn't take too many rebuilds of an 091 to pay for the Weddle or Mendeola.

Another guy I know who has a Crumco Baja that my son built for him last year with a 3.2 Honda that he's already grenaded the Mendeola he has in it.

See Wayne's Baja on Shoptalk Forums or SoCal Bajas Facebook page.

Just noticed a couple of replies on here that I am not receiving email notifications for, sorry for the late reply.

Yes, this has been a major concern of mine during the build. I have been looking at trans options and you can get a lot of different opinions out there. Some will say a well built 091 can handle the torque (HP is not the issue, it's torque). Some say a 2D is all you need and some say some other shit. I don't plan on running the car in the sand or with paddles. This seem to be where things start to break. Big tires, paddles, and doing wheel stands is not my thing.

I have a long travel buggy I picked up a couple months ago which was supposed to have a MD2D powered by the GM ShortStar 3.5. In fact I bought the buggy for 7500.00 and got a deal. The previous owner said it had a MD2D in it. Nope.... 4E I had the trans gone through at TransWorks and refreshed it. Hard to tell a MD2D from a MD4E as a "newbe" but sometimes you have to "pay to go to school", I now know what to look for but you really dont know what you have until you break down the trans. Case in point, I will not buy another used Medi unless the owner has paperwork to back up.

I am happy with the purchase though, as I can rip around BLM here at my house and "cut my teeth" while I finish the Baja Bug.

I appreciate your concern as it is valid!

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Yup. You're missing something. The shift rod comes out the front end of the tunnel. That's what that access plate in the front panel of the frame head was for.

You didn't need to remove the beam to get in there. The plate and the shift rod fit through between the beam tubes. If you want to get that shift rod out so it won't clank, you'll need to cut the tunnel open.

You MIGHT be able to cut the old shifter mount bracket out of the top of the tunnel and slide it all out the back above the rear torsion housing.

Lots of people put a different shifter on top of the tunnel with the shift rod exposed on top. That will mean there is a hole in the sheet metal in back. You can go to the hassle of filling that hole in and sealing it off or just leave it open for dust and whatever else gets in through the hole.

The thin floor panels are not a real problem for a car as serious as you're building, the cage structure from front bulkhead to rear will be the strength of the chassis. You should probably plan on tying the bottom rails of the cage to the pans.

Seems you're a competent fabricator, but I take it you're not all that familiar with VWs and how they're built, then, huh?[/quote]

Yup, I am a BMW guy haha. Listen, I am learning on the job so bear with me. Smile

I see what you are saying now. OK, so no plans to use the original shift tube. It looks like I'll be able to remove it through the rear. If I have to, I'll cut and plate an area to get it our Neanderthal style...

I am about tie the the rear torsion tube to the front bulkhead. This will allow me to stiffen up the chassis and tie in to the center tube from the outer tubing. My dilemma at this time is to use 3x1 square tubing or 1 5/8 DOM for the rail supports. I have both materials sitting here in the shop but been on the fence as to which way I'll go. A Benifit of the square tubing would be a 3" body lift but I have heard is a PITA to get the body to fit due to the front and rear channel supports. Round tubing will be easier in my opinion and I'll need to notch the body to fit over chassis tubing at the front and rear.

Thank you for your input Dusty!

Last edited by mnewman on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Built Update!

"Dirt Diggler" is standing on own 2 feet! Yup, that's the name I am giving the Baja Bug.

Standing on Methods!

JAMR Pro-X Hubs, rotors and calipers all mounted and steering box is in. ** reservoirs are temp mounted to get them out of the way.

As mentioned in previous post. I'll be focusing on Chassis now. Plan is to tie in rear torsion tube to front bulkhead. once I have the chassis tubing fab'd up, I'll also tie in to the center tube for additional support and a platform for the roll cage. I don't feel confident using the cheap ass aftermarket floor pan for mounting roll cage. In fact, I may scrap the floor pans all together and fabricate my own out of sheet aluminum.

More to come soon.

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Just finished Fab'n up lower chassis supports. This was a big step as now I can put the body back on and mock up the roll cage. I used the straight edge of the pan as a guide, the rear bends are 30 deg and the front are 20 deg bends. Rear tubing is welded to the torsion tube and the front is welded to the front support.

Once the cage is tacked up supports will be added to tie in the front A-Arm bulk head and upper shock mount. Also, I'll be added tubing from the the outer chassis tubing to the center tube for additional support and seat rails.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looks good dude. Who’s j-arm kit is
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Looks good dude. Who’s j-arm kit is

Thanks sailtexas, I am certainly learning a bunch. The J-Arms are by Nichols Fabrication in AZ. Have you heard of him? Solid guy and always responds when I have questions.

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Mocking up the body for the first time. Next up, notching the body for the chassis tubing clearance. Oh... and Sand Blasting interior body. Shocked

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Thats looking very cool. Love it.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Nice, that is cool how the front suspension fits through the fuel tank hole
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Thats looking very cool. Love it.

Thanks, it been a great learning opportunity and a test of patience, which I don't have much of.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: