Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of dumping Google.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Every time I look at anything using the Google browser. I get email notifications of some deal that Google thinks I need to read.
It gets old swatting away the constant notifications.

So I'm looking for a new interweb browser that doesn't track my online searches.

Some choices are,
DuckDuckGo

StartPage

Firefox, I use that already as an alternative browser. Just not exclusively.

Tor browser

Next I would like to ditch gmail. Some choices are,

Mailfence

Protonmail

Signal

Youtube is owned by Google. so when I use Youtube. It tailors my choices of videos to watch. Based on my search history. My choices are,

Hooktube

Vimeo

Goodle maps is just as intrusive. It tracks what I look at and sends me email notifications of places that Google thinks I should visit.
Choices are,

Here we go

Apple maps

So does anyone feel that Google is a bit too intrusive in their lives and want to escape Big Tech. For a somewhat more private life?
I know I do. It's just making the jump from Google to something a little less intertwined in my life that takes time and thought.
I would have to update every website that I deal with. With updated new email account info.

What do y'all think?

This thread is about privacy.

NOT POLITICS!
Leave your political commentary for your family and coworkers.. It has no place in this thread.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

DDG serves basic needs, been using it for 2 years. No onslaught of spooky ads reflecting conversations you has 5 minutes ago like Google ( with all devices "off").
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
DDG serves basic needs, been using it for 2 years. No onslaught of spooky ads reflecting conversations you has 5 minutes ago like Google ( with all devices "off").

What do you use for email, then?

I admit I haven't dug deeply into these alternative browsers. Yet!
Just typing out loud.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Turn off your GPS and log out of google, will help, but you will still get crap
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

This isn't an answer but I'm wondering why you are getting all of those emails.
Are they from Google itself?

I never get that for anything like what you are describing.
Maybe my various web browser add-ons stop it though.

I do see banner ads related to my searches or other online activity but not actual emails.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Anyone offering a service for free is probably making money off your data.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

I’ll talk to you about this offline. Like the good old days. Bring your foil hat Laughing

Do you use Facebook and or any FB subsidiaries? Do you allow cookies, on your phone, PC, or etc as a default? Do you still update your MySpace page Laughing
Android or iOS? Microsoft or Apple? Do you read the ELUA and always agree? Twisted Evil

In the 80s we used to use our pets names when we had to give out an address and name when signing up for non important/official/government things. It was a fun game to see who sold our information.

I’m being a goof but interested in this topic.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

How’s this playing out today Think

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

67rustavenger dumping Google Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Google has spooked me as well. Thus...

For search engines, I prefer DuckDuckGo, then StartPage.

For email, I have switched to ProtonMail.

For video, Rumble, but not nearly the amount of content. Hopefully, will change as more users jump on.

I use Apple Maps. Lately, I have found that Apple Maps is much more accurate and relevant than Google Maps. See https://www.wired.com/story/the-best-privacy-friendly-alternatives-to-google-maps/ for more alternatives.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

like everettb I don't get emails from google. I have an ad blocker and use basic yahoo for emailling. I do get emails from sites I've bought from but not random algorithm ones. I'm not a techie so can't advise you on your set-up but seem to be ways to stop the pestering

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I do see banner ads related to my searches or other online activity but not actual emails.

So, I recently searched for new car insurance. In my social email tab there are two insurance ads. I keep hitting delete and then tell Google that these adds are inappropriate. 15 minutes later, I check the social email, and there is a whole new set of ads from other insurance companies.

It is just kind of creepy. That after a google search for something as innocent as a screw. I start getting email ads from places like Belmetric, Fastenal and the like.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Couple years ago the wife bought some spam for me and the boy.(old school from my dad). That night watching netflix we get several ads for spam and spam products.

It seems using your debit card at the grocery store is instantly sold to someone

Big Brother?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I’ll talk to you about this offline. Like the good old days. Bring your foil hat Laughing

Do you use Facebook and or any FB subsidiaries? Do you allow cookies, on your phone, PC, or etc as a default? Do you still update your MySpace page Laughing
Android or iOS? Microsoft or Apple? Do you read the ELUA and always agree? Twisted Evil

In the 80s we used to use our pets names when we had to give out an address and name when signing up for non important/official/government things. It was a fun game to see who sold our information.

I’m being a goof but interested in this topic.

I don't have FB per se. I have watched many folks get hooked into posting every little aspect of their lives on FB.
When I was managing an inspection crew 8 years ago. I had one young man on my team, that would open FB first thing when logging into his work computer.
That got squelched fast. We were being paid to inspect pipe fittings, not surf FB.

The only FB subsidiary that I use is Instagram. The only reason I use IG is to see what my youngest daughter is up to. She and her family are in the Air Force and we cannot talk all the time. So she posts a few pics of my Grandson. At least I get to see him grow, little by little.

The only thing I consider as "Social media" in my life is this sight. And it's really just a forum for VW enthusiasts to share experiences and help solve issues that come up when some of us get stumped. I'm a prime example of needing help solving a problem.

Regarding the "One time"(meaning, it only played once) Apple TV add. I remember that very well. How profound it is in today's environment.

Hal 9000, while it seemed kinda cool at the beginning of the movie. Turned out to be a murderer. Dave took care of that issue.
I for one, don't want to have the :Pod Bay" doors locked out by a computer.

Hence, I don't have any IOT items in my house. My TV accepted.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Couple years ago the wife bought some spam for me and the boy.(old school from my dad). That night watching netflix we get several ads for spam and spam products.

It seems using your debit card at the grocery store is instantly sold to someone

Big Brother?

That's creepy!
I normally don't carry cash.
Most all of my purchases are via debit card or CC.
I haven't detected any targeted ads related to my purchases at stores.
But it wouldn't surprise me either.

BTW, Spam is the bomb. I have something like 20 cans of the stuff in my pantry of various flavors. Very Happy

typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

I use Firefox and DuckDuckGo. I like them both however many sites won’t let you access their sites because they block ads and cookies. You tube is one example.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
You tube is one example.

YouTube is Google.

Hate to tell you... its too late. Just finish the Kool Aide, you'll feel better after.

And who says your "smart" appliances are not spying on you. Have Google or Alexa in your home... they're listening to you. And if you think the phone and cable companies are not spying on you... you already finished your Kool Aide.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Big Brother?

I think that's called 'spam' - irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc. Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
EverettB wrote:

So, I recently searched for new car insurance. In my social email tab there are two insurance ads. I keep hitting delete and then tell Google that these adds are inappropriate. 15 minutes later, I check the social email, and there is a whole new set of ads from other insurance companies.

It is just kind of creepy. That after a google search for something as innocent as a screw. I start getting email ads from places like Belmetric, Fastenal and the like.

Ok, I understand.

I checked my Gmail account and don't get those sort of emails there.
I never look at that tab though, haha.

I wonder if there is some setting I have turned off or there is some difference for me as I don't really use my Gmail email address for much.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

ive been using DDG on my phone for a while now. Love it. They are way more honest if not completely as compared to everyone else.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: