Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
So i have a brand new EMPI Pict 34/3 carb. I have adjusted the throttle pump and i have no flat spots. There are no vacuum leaks. I have checked the fuel pump pressure and it sits nicely at 2.9 psi I have checked the float bowl and its not overflowing and the needle valve is working properly.

So after the cars had a run and has stopped say after about 5- 10 mins i can hear fuel running in the throat of the carb and smell petrol. SO i took off the air filter and had a look to see where it was coming from and its was running out of the fuel pump spout. I check the idle cut off and all was working as it should. I also backed off the throttle pump adjustment to see if it stopped it, but it just gave me a nasty flat spot and it still did it!!

Thing is it doesnt do it straight away it starts after about 5 - 10 mins, so if i stp the car and start her virtually straight away she starts right up and purrs like a kitten, however if i walk away for 10 mins and come back she needs more cranking to start and a wide open throttle when up to temp. I know that the VW manual states that when starting from hot you should hold the throttle open until she fires and thats normal but she is strugglng even with that. My theory is that the engine is flooding from this and thats why she is harder to start after its done it. I am at a loss and really dont know what to look at here. I had over heating issue which i got sorted (see my other topic) and she always starts and drives beautifully so not sure how to fix this any help would be great!!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

what is happening is after 5-10 stop it is flooding. Have you checked the fuel tank vent to make sure it is not plugged. If it is it can cause the fuel line to pressurize and send fuel past the pump and into the carb and pass the needle and straight to the accelerator pump and down the carb
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
what is happening is after 5-10 stop it is flooding. Have you checked the fuel tank vent to make sure it is not plugged. If it is it can cause the fuel line to pressurize and send fuel past the pump and into the carb and pass the needle and straight to the accelerator pump and down the carb

First time I've ever heard of that happening..........seems like violating the laws of physics. Rolling Eyes

ol' mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

Post a picture of motor, I bet the gas line from the tank isn't mounted to the fan shroud instead it's laying on the tin and is getting hot and boiling the gas in the line forcing it past fuel pump and flooding the carb.
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the replies. I know for a fact that the vent on the tank isnt plugged as i have checked, also the tank has all new fuel lines and vent hoses.

The steel fuel line that comes through the bell housing tin into the engine bay runs along the top of the intake manifold to the pump. I suspected it might be something like this causing the problem, and looking at it now its close to the heat riser pipes. Can anyone post a pic or point me to one as to how this should be routed?

I have tried to upload a pic but am not having much luck, as soon as i can i will get one posted.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

gimli497N wrote:

The steel fuel line that comes through the bell housing tin into the engine bay runs along the top of the intake manifold to the pump. I suspected it might be something like this causing the problem, and looking at it now its close to the heat riser pipes. Can anyone post a pic or point me to one as to how this should be routed?

I have tried to upload a pic but am not having much luck, as soon as i can i will get one posted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a pic. of how I routed mine, I used a plastic elect. tie to hold the fuel line off the intake for #3 cly. if you look close you can see the black plastic tie att. to the tin about 2" down and to the left of the coil on the heater connection.
I also put a piece of fuel hose split [1 1/2 " to keep the metal fuel line off of the intake connection screws.
My prob. was while at idle for a long time [3-4 min's] the engine would just shut off, but would start up right away. it has not done this since I raised the fuel line off the engine around #3 cly.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

Did you just fill the tank? Check the vent hose in the trunk is in place and not pinched by the hinge. If you just filled the tank with cool gas from an inground tank, as it warms and expands it will flow out the vent hose. Speculating here but if that hose is pinched, it could be forcing it through the pump and into the carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

I had issues similar to yours, after a shutdown I could look down the carb throat and see gas dripping. Stunk up the garage with gas fumes. I routed my fuel line way out of the way of anything hot. This may have overdid it, but its out of the way for sparkplug changes.

Marion, Iowa
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

Sounds like symptoms of heat soak. Modern gasoline and gas/ethanol blends can start to boil at temps as low as 135°F, so all it takes is a little time post shutdown for heat to creep into the fuel pump and carburetor to get things percolating. Best you can do is try to insulate the fuel line, maybe install a phenolic spacer between the carb and intake manifold, and do what you can to help get heat out of the engine compartment.
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

thanks for the pics thsts a big help… so heres how it was..
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

heres how it is now…

The steel line runs up the side of the fan shroud and the braided fuel line runs from the pump under the coil bracket to the too of the steel line on the side of the fan shroud… so far so good i think…
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

gimli497N wrote:
heres how it is now…

The steel line runs up the side of the fan shroud and the braided fuel line runs from the pump under the coil bracket to the too of the steel line on the side of the fan shroud… so far so good i think…

Did this solve your hard start problem? I had the same routing of the fuel line as you did and just moved it today. Have not had a chance to drive her yet so just curious if this helped you... Thanks!
gimli497N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel running from throttle pump spout after car shutdown Reply with quote

It seems to.. I still have to have my foot right down on throttle when shes up to temp to start but its taken much less cranking. Im not sure about the fuel leaking from the throttle spout issue though… so far it seems to have stopped… hope it has helped with yours
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: